Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why would I keep Firehawk when I also have a Helix?

rdysan

Hi there,

I have a Firehawk with Variax JTV-69 and have also ordered a Helix.  Other than the blindingly obvious "why don't I actually try and get better at playing the guitar before falling prey to a GAS attack?" the question I have is “why would I keep Firehawk when I also have a Helix?â€.

I'm thinking because of Firehawk's abilities to be controlled by an iPad (which I really like), to be able to download tones via the ipad and also the fact that I can play a backing track from the iPad into the Firehawk and play along.  I know the Helix doesn't have the ipad ability and L6's explanation makes sense to me that it was too much data that would have to be passed via Bluetooth so I've come to terms with that.  I'm not sure how Helix will allow me to connect something so I can play a backing track through the system, though.

I don't know whether I'm being dumb to think I'll need to keep the Firehawk with all that Helix has to offer but I'd welcome any thoughts/comments anyone might have about keeping it or not as the case may be (when) Helix arrives.  I have no idea whether the Firehawk will lay there pretty much unused, or whether actually it will provide me the best of both worlds if I can connect the two (i.e. GUI via ipad and backing blend via Firehawk plus Helix's strengths).

Cheers...Rod

The Helix can play backing tracks through any of its various inputs, including USB. With an inexpensive gadget (https://www.google.com/search?q=bluetooth+audio+adapter&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari) you can play tracks from your phone.

I think you'll only need one or the other. Since you say your guitar skills are still developing, I'd say the Firehawk probably does all you need right now. By the time you've worn out the Firehawk there will be another, even more amazing, generation of gear.

If you play live, then it is always a good idea to have a Backup Rig because there is always a risk of something failing.  Not saying that Helix is delicate and I have rehearsed and played live with an HD500 regularly since it came out, so I know L6 gear is reliable, but wouldn't it be useful to have a fallback plan?

If you are only using it for a studio or home use, then the justification to keep it is harder.

• Upvote 2

There might be some effects in Firehawk that might not be present in Helix, at least initially - I continue to hope only initially. So you might want to compare the effects lists, and make sure Helix has you covered. Other than that, the wireless stuff, and what Rewolf mentioned about a backup system, Firehawk would just be a dummy next to Helix.

It might be a good idea to keep your Firehawk alongside Helix at least for a little while, even if not used.

The only thing I can really think of is the tone matching feature of the Firehawk.  That's pretty cool, especially if you're not that into tweaking settings to get a tone.

I'm keeping my HD500X initially while I explore the capabilities of Helix.  I don't currently perform any gigs so I don't really need an emergency backup.  Plus I have plenty of other options (amps, pedals, etc....)

Do you like the 500x?

I really do like the 500X.  I was disappointed with the factory presets but I've learned how to dial in my own, thanks to MEAMBOBBO'S guide, PeterJH's videos and this forum.  The Variax setlist (new factory presets) that came with the last firmware update really knocked it out of the park as well.

• 2 weeks later...