Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DEP List

titchyblackcat

There seems to be a lot of settings that people are sort of using as a starting point for pre-sets.

Is there a definitive list that anyone would stick there neck out and say "This is it" ?

Examples are :-

Hum = 0

Res  = 0

Thump = 25%

Bias seeems to vary from person to person

BiasX the same.

I'm thinking if there is such a list i'd really appreciate it to save time setting my pre-sets.

There really is no such list. If someone made a list, I think it would be rather complicated. The parameters you mention can appear to act differently depending on the amp and cab/mic used. And there are just so many combinations. There is a lot of info about what these parameters are supposed to do, and maybe even some suggestions about what they should be set at, but the suggestions would be nothing more than someone's personal opinion. What matters most is how things sound to you.

To get a better idea of what these do: once you've found your favorite amps, you're best bet would be to experiment with those and see how they react to changing DEP values. Same with cab/mic combos and the cab's DEP values. Res works with thump and decay, so basically the higher the res is the more effect thump and decay will have. With res at zero, this effectively (no totally) turns off thump and decay as well. So build yourself a mental image about these parameters by turning virtual knobs.

I'm afraid there is no shortcut for adjusting these, which is, I think, one of the reasons why people generally have a hard time dialing in tones on HD devices, especially if one is not familiar with it. I've had an HD for several years and I still get frustrated when dialing in tones from time to time.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Duncann, I'm a newbie so I'll get my head down and try to sort it all out.

Thanks for the info'

I've always found it hard to get a good tone, I'll set something up that I think is OK but, listen the next day and realize it's junk.

Yep! That's usually how it works for me as well, to this day. Part of it is ear fatigue, so make sure to think about that when creating tones. You can take short breaks in between tweaking to extend the time to tweak a little bit, but eventually, it becomes a useless, time-wasting endeavor.

Here's an excellent guide to read during the short breaks: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/