Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Would like to have success beyond the Vox A-30 TB

Indianrock2020

I've been very happy with my 500x and for church have been using the A-30 TB almost exclusively.  Just this week I got some decent sounds out of a Marshall model.  When I try one of the Fenders ( e.g. Blackface Dbl Nrm ), it

seems have have very low output.    

I almost always leave the master volume ( top of POD ) at 3 o'clock, mixer at unity with both sides panned straight up, amp channel volume at maximum, amp drive about half, and amp master maximum.    To compensate for the low Fender output I turn up the compressor level up, bump the mixer to about +4 and set the amp drive higher than I'd prefer

Is this just the nature of some amps?   At home I monitor through a stereo receiver system and rarely touch its volume.

Typical patch for me: 

Noise Gate>Compressor>OD>amp>Delay>Hall Reverb>Volume Pedal

Is this just the nature of some amps?   At home I monitor through a stereo receiver system and rarely touch its volume.

Yep, well documented and thoroughly bitched about for years... but as in real life, some amps are louder than others.  Best bet is to set up your system's gain stages to get your quietest amp model to the volume you want without unwanted distortion and turn the louder amp models down to match overall levels.  Otherwise you end up overdriving your quieter amps trying to keep up...

• Upvote 1

I wonder if more intelligent use of the volume pedal that I put in every patch now could help with this "amp volume variation"  issue.  So far I put one at the end of each patch and set it to 50% to 100%.   Some in my band use this as a way to boost during solos, not an intentional way to "get past" the sound guy.   The problem at church is the extremely short time between songs.  When you customize settings, especially delay, and use a separate patch for each song, there is barely time to do that much less fiddle with the volume pedal.

I'm playing mainly electric rhythm so popping in at specific points in the song isn't a good idea.  Actually the AC30 is so good for the music we play, I think using other amps that need a volume boost would be more for my jam group.