Photo

Basic Setting For Vocals ?

Best Answer RonMarton , 28 July 2013 - 03:27 AM

I have to admit, eukieb...

...That I (along with, it would seem, the others) have deliberately let this query remain an "orphan" in the hope of gleaning more from someone else's reply.

Why ?

Possibly because we were "put off" by the fact that "thar ain't no setch durned animal" as...

...a nice "airy" vocal...

I guess we can probably rule out AC/DC, Mick Jagger and Beyoncé, ...but who's to know whether you mean Céline Dion or even Psy.

Anyway, even if you do have a given vocal style in mind, one of the greatest things about audio is that there really is NO "formula."

So the only really viable "method" would be for you to plug in a set of headphones and spend as many hours as it takes to "play" with the voice in question until you arrive at (and eventually "save") the sound you want.

The M20d provides all of the tools you'll need, a collection that required (literally) tons of equipment and an acreage of studio space only a few decades ago.

For this exercise, among the most valuable of those tools are its inbuilt multi-track recorder along with the M20d's effortless ability to replay from almost any media.

Replaying from any one of those will allow you to have a constant "sample" of vocals to repeatedly modify and/or embellish and/or "destroy"...via the whole repertoire of processes that you now have at your fingertips. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 eukieb

eukieb

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:43 AM

Can someone give me a basic setting using the effects in the m20d for a nice "airy" vocal? I have been trying but just can't seem to get it right yet.

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:27 AM   Best Answer

I have to admit, eukieb...

...That I (along with, it would seem, the others) have deliberately let this query remain an "orphan" in the hope of gleaning more from someone else's reply.

Why ?

Possibly because we were "put off" by the fact that "thar ain't no setch durned animal" as...

...a nice "airy" vocal...

I guess we can probably rule out AC/DC, Mick Jagger and Beyoncé, ...but who's to know whether you mean Céline Dion or even Psy.

Anyway, even if you do have a given vocal style in mind, one of the greatest things about audio is that there really is NO "formula."

So the only really viable "method" would be for you to plug in a set of headphones and spend as many hours as it takes to "play" with the voice in question until you arrive at (and eventually "save") the sound you want.

The M20d provides all of the tools you'll need, a collection that required (literally) tons of equipment and an acreage of studio space only a few decades ago.

For this exercise, among the most valuable of those tools are its inbuilt multi-track recorder along with the M20d's effortless ability to replay from almost any media.

Replaying from any one of those will allow you to have a constant "sample" of vocals to repeatedly modify and/or embellish and/or "destroy"...via the whole repertoire of processes that you now have at your fingertips. 

#3 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

I guess I found it strange that anyone owning this board, the M20D, would ask that. With the "quick tweak" you have a "basic" setting for many things. I have not been completely satisfied with the "XY plotting" but it has come close to whatever it is I wanted....which will change in tomorrow's room anyway, but not much. And then just a couple slight adjustments, and I am happy.

But maybe the OP is not an owner of the M20D? And is here in this forum as an owner of the stage source speakers? And just wants some basic settings? Or neither of those, and just browsing for help?

Ron's advice is best, and most valuable. You will retain what you learn as you tweak different frequencies and effects.

#4 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

I must admit that it never even crossed my mind that...

...maybe the OP is not an owner of the M20D?

...as...

Can someone give me a basic setting using the effects in the m20d... [Ron M's emphasis.]

...but, now that you've raised it, I'm thinking that no harm can possibly come from time spent exploring StageSource speakers' "Verb" settings, array of input configurations, placement-triggered automatically "modelled" equalisation and L6 Link adaptability, ...along the same lines as the "old-fashioned practice makes perfect multiple replay" philosophy that's behind my earlier suggestions for the M20d.

(...And your kind compliment's much appreciated, Digital-sound...)

Isn't it a pleasure to encounter new systems from which respect emerges with familiarity, ...rather than the proverbial "contempt" that's often bred by some less well-conceived attempts at this type of automation ?  :)

#5 eukieb

eukieb

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:26 AM

Well, I guess that I will just continue doing what I'm doing until I get it "right". Thanks for the feedback and may God continue to Bless us all!!

#6 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:04 AM

I guess I really didnt read that first post right! Thanks for going easy on me.

But even if settings were given for what I, or another, thinks is an airy vocal, it may not be "right" for you anyway, and the "tweaking" will continue.

Tweak things you may not think of. Compression and reverb would be a key effects to experiment with besides just the frequencies.

#7 antonioctd

antonioctd

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

I really don't want to sound rash or anything but... 

Any settings on any audio processing device depends greatly on the source, the system were the sound is played and the room. 

Among other things.... 

I don't even see the point in EQ presets. Let alone EQ advice through the internet LOL

Like I said, it's not my intention to sound harsh and I don't want to offend any one.

It's just that the very fact that these kind of questions keep popping up got me thinking that a lot of people don't understand the basic principles of sound...

Oh well... we are here to help ant try to correct that   :rolleyes:  ;)

Also, every body listen careful to Ron. He's the best on this forum  :)

#8 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

...may God continue to Bless us all!!

:)

The fact that we're at all able to participate in this forum makes me think that we ARE indeed truly blessed anyway, ...so a hearty "Amen !" to that, eukieb...

...Also, every body listen careful to Ron. He's the best on this forum  :)

...No, he's not, ...as he often get's it wrong, just like everybody else !  :wacko:

...I don't even see the point in EQ presets. Let alone EQ advice through the internet LOL

Like I said, it's not my intention to sound harsh and I don't want to offend any one...

Anyone who's offended by opinions really should avoid this type of forum anyway, don't you think ?  :lol:

(That's mine, anyway.)

"LOL" giggles aside, I guess that the reasoning behind both "EQ presets" and the great advice you've repeatedly and generously given, antonio, lies in the range of options that face anyone who's never operated this type of gear before.

Bear in mind that it's only very recently that the price of such options came down enough for them to be accessible to us "ordinary folk", so it's quite understandable that many find them overwhelming.

So those presets and advice from "audio angels" like you and Digital-sound are often handy to get them started.

Or, to put it another way...

...we are here to help...

#9 eukieb

eukieb

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

Guys! This is getting very interesting to view the opinions etc, that my "foolish" question has generated however, it's from Forums like these that "novices" like me garner quite a bit of knowledge. Suffice it to say that's what prompted me to invest in an M20D, then the L3t Tops, so, please keep the "Posts" going, who knows? Maybe I will reach Ron's plateau one of these days!!

#10 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

...Maybe I will reach Ron's plateau one of these days!!

"...If I have seen further, it is because I have stood upon the shoulders of giants..."

Sir Isaac Newton.

#11 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11094 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

...., who knows? Maybe I will reach Ron's plateau one of these days!!

Ain't nobody got time fer dat......

http://www.google.ca....49967636,d.dmg

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#12 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Anyone who's offended by opinions really should avoid this type of forum anyway, don't you think ? :lol:

(That's mine, anyway.)

That may be the best advice I have seen on a forum. I have seen so many instances on other forums, where your quote would have served well! So fitting of a forum situation!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users