Photo

Pod Hd500x Hum Problem...

hum knob problem loud hum

Best Answer TheRealZap , 20 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

that may be attributable to the original amp.... (you'd have to be an amp tech to understand the why's etc...i'm not one...)

it certainly doesn't sound like a defective unit though.... (doubt the software would matter if it was a physical defect)

you might try reinstalling the firmware.

Yeah, I found that if I turn off the hum completely it goes away. However, I find it strange that the amount of hum is determined by the drive nob. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FenderBluesAAA

FenderBluesAAA

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

I just bought a POD HD500X Yesterday. I'm liking it so far but there is a loud hum that comes from the Drive nob on the unit. When I turn the drive all the way down, I get more hum and it starts to go away as I turn up the Drive. 

I attached a video showing the problem.

Has anyone experienced this before or knows what the problem may be?

#2 FenderBluesAAA

FenderBluesAAA

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'm not sure the video came up so here it is...

#3 FenderBluesAAA

FenderBluesAAA

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

I realized that the hum sound changes to a different pitch if I change the AC Frequency in the settings. This doesn't seem to happen on all amps. It is happening to me on the Blackface Dbl Nrm. It gets more when the drive knob is turned down. If I turned the drive up and save the patch and then I turn the drive down and leave it there. And then I change patches and go back to the one with the Blackface I still get the hum, even though the drive that is saved is turned up. So I'm saying that the problem is in the knob, not the amount of drive I'm using on the amp. I'm not sure if this is making sense but I hope it did. 

#4 Astaroth_CY

Astaroth_CY

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Take it back to the shop.

#5 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14880 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

have you gone into the deep edit parameters and adjusted the HUM?

do you have a noisegate in your tone? (just saying it might actually be gating the HUM... where it would be getting louder)

also how are you monitoring it? your monitors/amp or whatnot might be exaggerating the HUM....

there IS HUM on the models intentionally to mimick the genuine amp... (i personally think they all sound like crap if you take the hum completely away)

have you tried it on a different power outlet?

on the ground away from the speakers and computer monitor?

anyway if none of this applies.. i'd try to get an exchange....

#6 FenderBluesAAA

FenderBluesAAA

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Yeah, I found that if I turn off the hum completely it goes away. However, I find it strange that the amount of hum is determined by the drive nob. 

#7 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14880 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:50 PM   Best Answer

that may be attributable to the original amp.... (you'd have to be an amp tech to understand the why's etc...i'm not one...)

it certainly doesn't sound like a defective unit though.... (doubt the software would matter if it was a physical defect)

you might try reinstalling the firmware.

#8 FenderBluesAAA

FenderBluesAAA

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Yeah, it might be that amp. I guess what confused me was the fact the turning down the drive resulted in more hum rather than it being the other way around.

Thanks for the replies. I'll post if I find something new.

#9 FenderBluesAAA

FenderBluesAAA

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

I switched out the POD with another one and found the same thing going on. I guess this just a characteristic of the amp. You were right.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hum, knob problem, loud hum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users