6 replies to this topic

#1 FenderBluesAAA

FenderBluesAAA

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

I can't seem to find any questions about this. I'm just wondering what I can plug into the Aux Input on my POD HD. The manual just says a second guitar or pretty much any instrument but doesn't list examples. I just wanted to make sure if I can plug in a keyboard, electronic drums, or the line out of an amp for recording since this is my only interface. Can I use the Aux in like the Line in that I had on my POD Studio UX2?

Thanks

#2 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14816 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

you can and i have used it for all that...

BUT....

what i like better for line in type use... is basically an empty patch with an active fx loop....

and i go into the fx loop... .mainly because its a stereo input that way...

it doesn't matter what input you have active in that case.

#3 FenderBluesAAA

FenderBluesAAA

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

That is a really good idea. So I would be playing through the FX Loop return without plugging into any other inputs? I'll give it a try.

Thank you. 

#4 Rewolf48

Rewolf48

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

I use FX Loop from the Keyboard (place it after the Mixer to ensure that it stays Stereo)

I also have some sounds from a Laptop - and I currently use the USB interface (HD500 acting as soundcard).  Not sure that it is the best option for a reliable rig, but it saves on additional hardware

#5 gtrjimmy413

gtrjimmy413

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:28 AM

I have used the aux input for a GR-55 and that worked great. I didn't place it in the signal path I just plugged it in like you would an mp3 player.

#6 Rewolf48

Rewolf48

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:57 AM

An update as I have been reworking my sounds lately - inspired by the addition of a Tube into the circuitry of modern keyboards like the KingKorg.

I decided that my keyboard sounds were lacking something. I have an old Korg N364 - a whole 8MB of sample data, and it pre-dates computer editors, and only a tiny screen and really complex on-board editing (lots of modes, menus, pages - much worse than an HD), so it is not easy to make edits to the sound and certainly not at sound check time.  So I experimented with placing the FX Loop where the Keyboard sound comes into the HD500 in front of a Tube Comp and an Amp model. 

Tube Comp is set Thresh=90 and no gain so that it just acts as a Limiter because keyboard that overdrives an amp when you don't want it too sounds bad.

The Amp is a Marshall P75 Pre with No Cab and the combination of this and the Tube Comp gives the keyboard that "valve warmth" and brightness, plus gives me knobs for tone control.  It really made a difference to the sound

You can use a full Amp model if you want to copy John Lord, and there is no reason why the HD500 Rotary Model can't be used as well.

#7 pfsmith0

pfsmith0

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

According to http://line6.com/sup...mith0#entry4669 the Aux input is just like the guitar input in Normal mode except there's no tuner attached to it and it doesn't have progammable input impedance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pod hd500x, aux in, keyboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users