Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Effects-Top Row, Presets-Bottom Row Question

geetar42

Guys/Gals --

Someone else mentioned this in an earlier post.

I've got what I "think" should be an easy problem to resolve, but I can't seem to find out how to make it happen.clear.png :unsure: 

OK, stick with my feeble brain here and help me if you will -- I'm on Preset 13A -"Come As You Are". In the Global Settings I have it set so my Presets are on the Bottom/Lower row and my Effects show up on Top Row, with a Stomp Box feel. However, when you go to the preset and select it, 4 Presets are on the Bottom Row (good, that's what I wanted) but the only way I can see the Effects is to press the Mode Switch -- BUT -- that clears the Bottom Row of Presets and then shows the activated Effects and the Top Row is blank.  I've noticed there are several  presets where the effects are on the Bottom Row when you toggle the Mode/Edit switch.  Is there a way to always keep Effects on Top Row, or maybe it's supposed to be this way?

Also, for a picture reference, I'm trying to keep the setup like it shows on the color Cheat Sheet: Effects - Top Row, Presets-- Bottom Row. I'm sure it has something to do with Global Settings and the Mode Switch. But I can't make it happen on THIS preset 13A. I appreciate you kind folks offering the solution since I apparently can't see it. One Final Note...I repeat that I have the Global Setting for Presets set for the Bottom Row AND that works on some presets as it should, but on some I have this issue. I'm loving the HELIX BTW, just learning my way around. clear.png :) 

Thanks!!

geetar42

When setting Preset Footswitch Mode to "Upper Row" or "Lower Row" (we call it hybrid mode), Helix doesn't move automatically move stomp switches to be visible—it's basically punching a hole into Stomp Footswitch Mode. So if there aren't any stomps on the upper row in Stomp mode, they won't appear in hybrid mode either.

Fortunately, it's really quick to move them:

1. From Stomp mode, touch the footswitch you wish to move.
  2. Touch the destination footswitch for two seconds and press Knob 6 (OK).

Note that this won't move multiple assigned footswitches, nor will it move footswitches-as-controllers, Command Center messages, or custom labels.

We asked a bunch of people and the vast majority preferred stomps on the bottom row, which is why we assigned them there by default.

Hey D.I.  -- As always, thanks alot for your reply!  I see what you are saying -- and I thought it must be something to that effect, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a very simple "egg-head" fix.  :)  I'll see if I can't retrain where I "want" to see the Stomp Effects to the Bottom Row.  I think it is left over learned habits from X3 Live and HD Live Series units.  Thanks brother!! B)

• 4 weeks later...

When setting Preset Footswitch Mode to "Upper Row" or "Lower Row" (we call it hybrid mode), Helix doesn't move automatically move stomp switches to be visible—it's basically punching a hole into Stomp Footswitch Mode. So if there aren't any stomps on the upper row in Stomp mode, they won't appear in hybrid mode either.

Fortunately, it's really quick to move them:

1. From Stomp mode, touch the footswitch you wish to move.
  2. Touch the destination footswitch for two seconds and press Knob 6 (OK).

Note that this won't move multiple assigned footswitches, nor will it move footswitches-as-controllers, Command Center messages, or custom labels.

We asked a bunch of people and the vast majority preferred stomps on the bottom row, which is why we assigned them there by default.

Being one of those players that likes my presets on the bottom row. It would be a very helpful feature if you could flip the bottom row and top row footswitch assignments from the Global Settings. Players who use the bottom row for their presets and top row for their effects have to manually reassign all the footswitches on every factory preset. This still requires hours or more likely days of manual reassignment, no matter how easy the assignment process is.  Why does Helix offer the choice of top row or bottom row for preset assignments, and then cripple it by making all factory presets only work with "top row presets/bottom row pedals"?  Manual reassignment is way more arduous and time consuming than just having a global preset to swap footswitch assignment rows, top to bottom, or bottom to top.

The other problem with not having a swap top/bottom choice is that once you make a choice of let's say pedals on the bottom row, if you decide you prefer them on the top it will be a ton of work to reverse it when it could just be one global setting.  And at least for right now you better choose bottom row pedals or you will have to reprogram all the factory presets (or at least the ones you want to use).

I have placed a suggestion for a new global setting that will swap pedal assignments from the top to bottom row and vice versa in Ideascale. Vote for it here:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Swap-footswitch-assignments-from-top-row-to-bottom-vice-versa/790520-23508

• Upvote 1