Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

But did you change the HEADROOM parameter? THAT's where the crackling happens.

My computer doesnt have a headroom parameter and lowering the trim on the Helix Global setting doesn't change just makes it quiter. After troubleshooting it it did say the problem was a generic driver. Does the in/out sample rate affect the USB driver? it's default is 48khz but my computer says the default setting for the driver is 44.1Khs, odd

My computer doesnt have a headroom parameter and lowering the trim on the Helix Global setting doesn't change just makes it quiter. After troubleshooting it it did say the problem was a generic driver. Does the in/out sample rate affect the USB driver? it's default is 48khz but my computer says the default setting for the driver is 44.1Khs, odd

Not sure where this conversation started but I think Peter may have been referring to changing the "Headroom" parameter in the delay block on the Helix, not on the computer. You'll want to Increase the Headroom setting. Start at the max setting and see if that helps.

Not sure where this conversation started but I think Peter may have been referring to changing the "Headroom" parameter in the delay block on the Helix, not on the computer. You'll want to Increase the Headroom setting. Start at the max setting and see if that helps.

I'm trying to stop the audio from on USB 1/2 coming from my computer (Ableton, youtube, etc) from crackling. I've matched the sampling rate though it's not recordable standard at the moment.

I'm trying to stop the audio from on USB 1/2 coming from my computer (Ableton, youtube, etc) from crackling. I've matched the sampling rate though it's not recordable standard at the moment.

What do you have your Helix connected to as far as monitoring goes? It sounds like you may just be clipping the input of whatever you're connected to. It is definitely possible to do that. Try rolling back the Helix's main volume knob and see if that makes a difference.

What do you have your Helix connected to as far as monitoring goes? It sounds like you may just be clipping the input of whatever you're connected to. It is definitely possible to do that. Try rolling back the Helix's main volume knob and see if that makes a difference.

Studio Headphones; trying to record. I think I found the problem; too many drivers installed in my computer. I found that 24 bit @ 48Khz rate works but every time I start it up or make changes to my devices it resets to 16 bit @ 44.1Khz. Maybe it's time for a computer upgrade. Thanks everyone, I appreciate  the time!

• 2 weeks later...

Running 2.21

Im using a delay in snapshots, programmed to momentary, only want the delay when i press. Tails set to on, when i let go of the switch the delay glitches with crazy sounds.

Just wanted to let you know.

Are you bypassing the delay with the momentary, or controlling one of the delay parameters with the foot switch?

I set the cab parameters mic and level to be snapshot controlled.

1. This does not work, you cannot create snapshots with different mics.

2. It crashes helix editor! I could not open the Editor any more when this preset was active.

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me. I originally thought this issue was related to environmental heat, but I am no longer convinced that environmental temperature is the origin of my problem. Intermittently (one to three times per 3 hour gig), when I switch to new preset (via USB MIDI from Apple Mainstage) and the guitar sound is dead. Sometimes I can continue to footswitch and MIDI switch to new patches, however, the guitar sound is still gone. Sometimes the Helix totally freezes and no patch switching is possible. It has been cured with a restart of the Helix.  One time the USB DAW audio keyboard sound signal from my Fishman Triple Play via Apple Mainstage still worked but the guitar audio did not. The other two times it was a totally dead from an audio standpoint. A restart (power off/on) of the Helix fixed it twice but the third time the Helix would not boot... just a blank screen. I had to scramble to use the lead singer's guitar rig to play the next song while I let my Helix sit turned off (about five minutes). Then I switched on the Helix and it booted up fine and I finished the gig. I have the current firmware installed.  I originally thought this was due to high temps at practice and gigs, but has since occurred with cooling added and more moderate gig temperatures. I have reinstalled the firmware and globally reset/rebuilt the patches per installation instructions. However, still having issues. Is anyone else having this issue? If so, have you found a fix and what is it?

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me. I originally thought this issue was related to environmental heat, but I am no longer convinced that environmental temperature is the origin of my problem. Intermittently (one to three times per 3 hour gig), when I switch to new preset (via USB MIDI from Apple Mainstage) and the guitar sound is dead. Sometimes I can continue to footswitch and MIDI switch to new patches, however, the guitar sound is still gone. Sometimes the Helix totally freezes and no patch switching is possible. It has been cured with a restart of the Helix.  One time the USB DAW audio keyboard sound signal from my Fishman Triple Play via Apple Mainstage still worked but the guitar audio did not. The other two times it was a totally dead from an audio standpoint. A restart (power off/on) of the Helix fixed it twice but the third time the Helix would not boot... just a blank screen. I had to scramble to use the lead singer's guitar rig to play the next song while I let my Helix sit turned off (about five minutes). Then I switched on the Helix and it booted up fine and I finished the gig. I have the current firmware installed.  I originally thought this was due to high temps at practice and gigs, but has since occurred with cooling added and more moderate gig temperatures. I have reinstalled the firmware and globally reset/rebuilt the patches per installation instructions. However, still having issues. Is anyone else having this issue? If so, have you found a fix and what is it?

Does it happen on a particular preset, or does it happen on a variety of presets? I had an old preset built on 2.00 that for some reason would lock up the Helix upon loading that preset. I rebuilt that preset (the best I could from memory) and deleted the old preset. The issue went away. 

jbuhajla:

I haven't been able to determine yet if it is a particular preset but I have begun keeping notes on which preset I leaving going from and to for each crash. It is intermittent so it's a bugger to track down. The problem might be is that there are several old presets that were copied and tweaked... I 'll plan on re-writing these "to" and "from" presets from scratch to help eliminate that possibility. Ug! I've also put in a ticket at Line6. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

@guitarnstuff, if you have already done the Rebuild Presets routine for the latest firmware (Press and Hold FS9&10 while powering on), the corruption, if any, may have been "baked" into the offending Presets they were reinstalled following each of the earlier fw releases. Either way, my guess is that Line 6 Tech Support may appreciate a look at those problematic Preset files, regardelss, if you still have the pre-rebuild routine versions, as well as the subsequent post rebuilt files.

With firmware 2.21, the variax custom tuning doesn't get stored with the preset any more but is applied globally. Did I miss to adjust something in the preferences after the update, or is this a bug?

I had some presets with different custom tunings. This worked flawlessly in the past, but now I see (and hear) the same tuning in all presets. For example I change a tuning in preset no. 10 to dropped d and save the preset. Now all presets show the dropped d tuning.

?!?

With firmware 2.21, the variax custom tuning doesn't get stored with the preset any more but is applied globally. Did I miss to adjust something in the preferences after the update, or is this a bug?

I had some presets with different custom tunings. This worked flawlessly in the past, but now I see (and hear) the same tuning in all presets. For example I change a tuning in preset no. 10 to dropped d and save the preset. Now all presets show the dropped d tuning.

?!?

Change the 'Variax Settings' on the Input block from global to 'Per Preset'.  This is actually a global setting even though it is set from within a preset and will restore all your custom tunings in the rest of the presets.

Change the 'Variax Settings' on the Input block from global to 'Per Preset'. This is actually a global setting even though it is set from within a preset and will restore all your custom tunings in the rest of the presets.

I have the Helix Rack and Control.
using FW 2.21 - updated when released and the update procedure correctly followed and rebuild done.
All has been good until last night.

I pressed on the control to change up to the next bank and nothing happened. then the control froze none of the switches worked.
Waited awhile and it unfroze. tried changing a preset which it allowed but the next press on footswitch to change to another preset and it froze again - none of the foot switches responsive!
tried reconnecting the cable at both ends, tried a new cable too - no change you can press one switch and then the next press  on another switch and it frozen again.

Whilst frozen - If i make changes via the rack eg change preset - the control not echoing the changes made.

After various testing via powering down and back up - this problem is for all of the settings via control be it changing snapshots, bank, presets, stomp mode etc...
and any setting change on the rack not shown on the control.

I went into global settings - footswitches page.
I noticed if i made a change to any of the settings on the footswitch page the control worked perfectly - but as soon as i leave the global footswitch page and return to the main home screen - the control freezes up again. so that leads me to believe it might be a bug rather than hardware problem.

Have tried another cable - problem still persists.

My next line of thought -
Is there a reset method for the rack and control? see if that fixes it.

if that doesnt fix it then my questions are:

is the problem Hardware or firmware. If firmware bug - what do i do. do i need to wait for this bug to be fixed in the firmware release, eg 2.3, post native release could still be sometime away?
If it is hardware error - is it the control or the rack where the problem resides?

Very frustrating - been building up patches and ready to go record next week for three weeks... bam it not working properly... suddenly realize how dependent you become on this device - it is the central hub of all the work.

here's hoping a reset can fix it.

anyone experienced this issue?
anyone any thoughts?

any one at line 6 any advice how to proceed with this?

I have the Helix Rack and Control.

using FW 2.21 - updated when released and the update procedure correctly followed and rebuild done.

All has been good until last night.

I pressed on the control to change up to the next bank and nothing happened. then the control froze none of the switches worked.

Waited awhile and it unfroze. tried changing a preset which it allowed but the next press on footswitch to change to another preset and it froze again - none of the foot switches responsive!

tried reconnecting the cable at both ends, tried a new cable too - no change you can press one switch and then the next press  on another switch and it frozen again.

Whilst frozen - If i make changes via the rack eg change preset - the control not echoing the changes made.

After various testing via powering down and back up - this problem is for all of the settings via control be it changing snapshots, bank, presets, stomp mode etc...

and any setting change on the rack not shown on the control.

I went into global settings - footswitches page.

I noticed if i made a change to any of the settings on the footswitch page the control worked perfectly - but as soon as i leave the global footswitch page and return to the main home screen - the control freezes up again. so that leads me to believe it might be a bug rather than hardware problem.

Have tried another cable - problem still persists.

My next line of thought -

Is there a reset method for the rack and control? see if that fixes it.

if that doesnt fix it then my questions are:

is the problem Hardware or firmware. If firmware bug - what do i do. do i need to wait for this bug to be fixed in the firmware release, eg 2.3, post native release could still be sometime away?

If it is hardware error - is it the control or the rack where the problem resides?

Very frustrating - been building up patches and ready to go record next week for three weeks... bam it not working properly... suddenly realize how dependent you become on this device - it is the central hub of all the work.

here's hoping a reset can fix it.

anyone experienced this issue?

anyone any thoughts?

any one at line 6 any advice how to proceed with this?

PMed you...

Thanks for the PM.

had already done the full firmware update as per the step by step instructions and updated the control when prompted and did the rebuild.

I have two pedals plugged into the back of the control.

Exp 1 + toe switch = Mission SP1-L6H

Exp 2 = Boss FV 500L - as volume pedal.

using a neutrik rean Y cable  - with a mono cable going from the tip mono (black) plug of the y cable into the Exp 2.

this works fairly well although occasionally the volume moves about - so this in itself is something i need to figure out a better solution for?

i tried unplugging the cat 5 cable from the control... didnt change the situation.

I use a Boss FV-500L foot pedal attached to the back of control Exp 2 socket.

unplugging and re plugging the cable from the back of the FV solved the problem...

what would be the cause of the problem here - clearly the pedal being TRS and the helix using TS ?

What is the best way to connect a TRS foot volume pedal like the Boss FV to the helix?

This pedal situation been causing headaches through out. the mission pedal has too short a movement to be a good volume pedal. but then the boss fv pedal, although it has nice range of movement in build, when used with the helix you have to depress someway before you pass 0% and it reaches 100% a fair way before the end of travel.

wish there was a way for these pedals to work with helix, for there to be a workable cabling method and for helix to sense the full range of the pedals.

wish for line 6 to release a version with two pedals built in, with toe switches - so then we could get away from trying to get pedals to work with it or paying £100 - £150 for a mission pedal..... given that two pedals would cost £200 - £300 on top of the cost of the control... line 6 could offer a two pedal version and charge more for it as we got to pay more to have expression pedals that work with it anyway.
And yes i know it wouldn't fit in a rack draw unit - but the wight of a rack mount and the rack and the pedal and the draw is overkill to move around...
would rather have a two pedal version in a soft carry case...

I will try your tip of connecting the pedal to the rack rather than to the control as it may be more stable

thanks

Hello lads. Does anyone else experience problem with pitch shifter block? It seems to be heavily bugged after last update and yes i already reinstalled firmware. I know it's helix problem because i also have Digitech Drop and it works good.
I'm tuned to drop D and problem appears on
------------
------------
------------
------------
----5------

----3------

etc.

Here is a sound sample. I need to know if anyone of you also have this issue or is it only my unit fault.

...and yes it's on every distorted preset.

Sound sample (pitch on/off):
https://soundcloud.com/aleksander-andrzejewski-642010781/shift-pitch-bug-helix

Firmware 2.21

Assigning a CC Toggle to Footswitch setting dim value and lit value

Problem:

As I switch through my snapshots the values are reversed.

My application:

Assigning footswitch to MIDI Mix Control on my Big Sky. When I hit the footswitch it increases the mix. Unfortunately, when I change snapshots the MIX is automatically switched even without the footswitch being pressed. Has anyone else had problems with this? Is there a workaround? Should I submit a bug report?

thanks

JeffM

I have a patch that consists of 2 snapshots with 6 foot switches assigned to MIDI notes to control my Elektron Octatrack. When I switch from one snapshot to the other, about 90% of the time the saved MIDI notes of the foot switches are not retained and/or the foot switch lights illuminate, indicating that the foot switch is "On" and it doesn't turn off when stepping on the switch.

I have the latest update and firmware on my new Helix Rack and control.  A strange thing is occurring on mine.  When I save my entire preset to a new area, the delay no longer works.  Very strange.  All of the other effects copy perfectly but for some strange reason, I can't get the delay to work.  Not sure why?

Still trying to find a solution to this one. ANy ideas? The preset is exact in every way in the new location. All of the effects work correctly except for the delay. When I copy the preset to another location by saving it to that location to overwrite the existing preset, the delay will work. As soon as I switch to another preset and switch back, the delay will not work. The footswitch on the control lights up show it is on, the parameters are all identical, etc. The delay shows it is on. The other effect directly beside it works fine and can be heard. This is very strange.

Still trying to find a solution to this one. ANy ideas? The preset is exact in every way in the new location. All of the effects work correctly except for the delay. When I copy the preset to another location by saving it to that location to overwrite the existing preset, the delay will work. As soon as I switch to another preset and switch back, the delay will not work. The footswitch on the control lights up show it is on, the parameters are all identical, etc. The delay shows it is on. The other effect directly beside it works fine and can be heard. This is very strange.

I'd suggest this experiment (if you haven't already done it):

Take note of the settings of your delay in the relocated copy you saved.

Delete the delay block.

Add it back manually right from there, applying your preferred settings.

Save the result.

Test as you did before; jump away from that preset, then back.

Post about your results.

(I'm assuming this never happens with the original version of the preset.)

• Upvote 1

One for Native - when copying a block in the bottom chain one can't paste it into the top chain. Similarly if a block is cut in the bottom chain it is deleted but cannot be pasted from the clipboard.

Bug is reproducible in Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3 and AuLabs latest version of all and OS X. Macbook Pro 2011 8gb ram 2.7ghz processor.

in firmaware 2.21 when i use a preset in user 3 folder, if i turn off helix the global setings are reset at all, if i turn off helix in any other preset already try some diferent ones , the global setings don't reset this hapen only in this patch and always hapen i dont know what is the especific cause of this patch failure .

Hi!

Yesterday I encountered some sort of bug. 

I have a brand new Helix LT updated to latest 2.21 firmware.

All was working great and it started to freeze. Constantly...

Before I bought LT I tried Helix native and came up with a few patches.

I imported them to helix LT after all the updates and resets and rebuilds were made, following the L6 instructions.

I don't know if the bug has something to do with the patches made in Native.

I resolved the freezes when I remembered I'd change the global setting of the tempo to be assigned by snapshot. I went back and put it in assign by preset and no more freezes.

I use helix receiving MIDI tempo from my PC via audio interface and midi connections. I suspect that this midi tempo being received and the option to have the tempo being assigned by snapshot together with the "Recall settings" for snapshots enabled is causing it to freeze.

Also I resolved it because I noticed some snapshots had tempo of 0 after helix froze and after I rebooted it.

Anyone encontered this issue? Is it known?

Should I open a ticket letting them know?

I know I should try to reproduce it again before submitting the issue but if someone has encoutered this before I won't have to.

Cheers

Hi!

Yesterday I encountered some sort of bug. 

I have a brand new Helix LT updated to latest 2.21 firmware.

All was working great and it started to freeze. Constantly...

Before I bought LT I tried Helix native and came up with a few patches.

I imported them to helix LT after all the updates and resets and rebuilds were made, following the L6 instructions.

I don't know if the bug has something to do with the patches made in Native.

I resolved the freezes when I remembered I'd change the global setting of the tempo to be assigned by snapshot. I went back and put it in assign by preset and no more freezes.

I use helix receiving MIDI tempo from my PC via audio interface and midi connections. I suspect that this midi tempo being received and the option to have the tempo being assigned by snapshot together with the "Recall settings" for snapshots enabled is causing it to freeze.

Also I resolved it because I noticed some snapshots had tempo of 0 after helix froze and after I rebooted it.

Anyone encontered this issue? Is it known?

Should I open a ticket letting them know?

I know I should try to reproduce it again before submitting the issue but if someone has encoutered this before I won't have to.

Cheers

It is probably worth opening up a ticket, especially if you can reliably reproduce the bug. Even if there has already been a ticket created it is helpful to support if they can get a good description of how to reproduce the bug and are aware that it impacts more than one user.

Some most likely not relevant text from the 2.21 firmware notes but I thought it might be worth referencing:

- Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > Receive MIDI Clock—Helix can now synchronize its time-based effects (such as delay and modulation) to incoming MIDI clock from external DAW software, drum machines, keyboard workstations, or other modelers. Select “Off†(Helix ignores MIDI clock), “MIDI†(Helix responds to clock received at its MIDI IN jack), “USB†(Helix responds to clock received via USB), or “Auto†(Helix uses its internal tempo generator until receiving clock from either MIDI or USB)

- Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > Send MIDI Clock—Helix can now transmit MIDI clock to synchronize the tempo of external pedals, rack gear, and software. Select “Off†(Helix does not transmit clock), “MIDI†(Helix transmits clock from only the MIDI OUT jack), “USB†(Helix transmits clock only via USB), or “MIDI+USB†(Helix transmits clock from both MIDI and USB)

• 2 weeks later...

Hye,

I'm a new helix user. I'm french so my english is very bad. Excuse me for that.

I use the helix to control other unit (strymon sonnus) and i use a midi tempo sync send by a computer.

For me the most simple is to send tempo on the helix after the helix send tempo to my other units.

so my configuration is :

- midi thru : off

- receive midi clock : auto

- send midi clock : on

but i have a trouble. When i do like that my tremolo dosen't sound "in time". I was forced to unuse the helix midi send clock.

i configure the helix like that :

- midi thru : on

- receive midi clock : auto

- send midi clock : off

And it's work but for me it's not normal...

Thank you very much if you have an idea or a issue!

Florent

I think there might be some bugs related to setting up HELIX stomp switches to send out MIDI notes - when also using Snapshots. I am finding that for some reason my MIDI assignments disappear for some reason. To try this out I would reccomend your developers download Quantiloop - and then try and make a patch which ALSO uses 4 snapshots. assign some midi note out ( MOMENTARY ) messages to - say 8 stomps to control Quantiloop. You will need to do this 8 times - since each snapshot remembers its own set of midi assignments - so can mess up things easily. I just spent an hour doing this. There is also an issue with stomps somehow getting stuck in the NOTE OFF mode so when i flip between presets - i have to go into each stomp in command center - then temporarily put the stomp into LATCH mode - then press the stomp ( to reset it for note on/off messages ) ... then turn the stomp mode back to MOMENTARY after this... All not optimum.

Here is the support ticket.

https://line6.com/account/tickets/edit/306685

not really bugs but little annoyances with helix:

1) program change message is sent on patch change. There's instant messages for that, I suppose, anyway, it should be up to user whether to send pc or not;

2) mouse scrollwheel behavior inconsistent in helix editor. On fx block parameters page mouse scrollwheel as vertical scroll, but on global EQ page it changes values of parameters underneath.

3) When you enter tuner mode, the foot tap is actually recorded and remembered, but last press should be dismissed. I've many times accidentally changed tempo just by entering and exiting tuner mode.

Design-wise, I think it would be nice to have an option to swap TAP and MODE buttons, because now MODE button is a little more difficult to reach in a live situation, but we tune mostly while idle, don't we ? Similar thing applies to preset/bank/snapshot up/down buttons, I'd like to see an option to remove them completely in live situation, it's too easy to accidentally press down footswitch. What do the priests say about this ? Is it doable at all in helix architecture ?

1) program change message is sent on patch change. There's instant messages for that, I suppose, anyway, it should be up to user whether to send pc or not;

You can already do this. Go to Global Settings>MIDI/Tempo, and on page 2 of that menu, you'll see a setting for MIDI PC Send. Set it to "off", and you'll be good to go.

• Upvote 1

3) When you enter tuner mode, the foot tap is actually recorded and remembered, but last press should be dismissed. I've many times accidentally changed tempo just by entering and exiting tuner mode.

Mine does not behave this way. A single long press gets me straight to the tuner without tempo change. If your switch is glitchy, that may cause issues.

All of a sudden my Helix seems to be having foot switch problems.

FS1 works but also triggers FS3, FS2 works but also triggers FS4, FS3 doesn't do anything when pushed, FS4 doesn't do anything, FS5 and FS6 work normally.

The row of foot switches below behave similarly:

FS7 works but also triggers FS9, FS8 also triggers FS10, FS9 doesn't work, FS10 doesn't work, FS11 and FS12 work.

It did this to me earlier today - rebooting didn't fix it, unplugging USB didn't fix - but then it went away for a while but has come back again.

Any ideas? Can't use my Helix at all now really. Does this no matter what preset / setlist I go to.

I'm on FW 2.21 One thing I can think of is to do a Firmware reset?

Help! 

All of a sudden my Helix seems to be having foot switch problems.

FS1 works but also triggers FS3, FS2 works but also triggers FS4, FS3 doesn't do anything when pushed, FS4 doesn't do anything, FS5 and FS6 work normally.

The row of foot switches below behave similarly:

FS7 works but also triggers FS9, FS8 also triggers FS10, FS9 doesn't work, FS10 doesn't work, FS11 and FS12 work.

It did this to me earlier today - rebooting didn't fix it, unplugging USB didn't fix - but then it went away for a while but has come back again.

Any ideas? Can't use my Helix at all now really. Does this no matter what preset / setlist I go to.

I'm on FW 2.21 One thing I can think of is to do a Firmware reset?

Help! 

Do a backup, then a factory reset, then restore your presets. If it still behaves abnormally, it's probably a hardware issue, and you should start a support ticket.