Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

mission engineering pedal

shane01

Hi all,

I have a mission volume pedal not the l6 expression one just a standard volume pedal , now if I try and put it into guitar2 input and use the mission as the volume and the onboard exp as a wah, do I have to input through the input of the mission first ,I tried it but got no sound as I was using variax VDI input to the hd500 ,so in a nut shell will the volume pedal work with no input and me connected via VDI ?

Thanks in advance.

No way. You need an expression pedal like the EX-1.

However, you can use something like this:

http://dbinstrumentamp.com/drupal/content/easy-expression-converter

http://www.strymon.net/2011/10/10/strymon-tech-corner-3-volume-pedal-as-an-expression-pedal/

Quotes from ME:

You can sometimes use a passive, low impedance volume pedal as an expression pedal by using a TRS stereo insert cable to connect the input and output from the pedal to the expression controlled device. The volume pedal will likely have a log pot and expression devices normally expect a linear input so you may find the response not to be very smooth, unless the device is designed to accommodate a log pot. Some digital devices can be programmed to compensate for a log pot if you use a volume pedal as an expression pedal.

The taper of a potentiometer describes how its electrical resistance changes proportional to it’s mechanical movement. In a linear potentiometer, the electrical resistance changes at the same rate throughout the mechanical range of the pot. In most cases, although not all, linear taper works best for expression pedals. In a logarithmic taper potentiometer, the resistance changes more slowly as you first move the pot, becoming increasingly faster as you get near the end. Log, or near log pots are commonly used in volume controls but don’t always work well for other effects. This is one of the reasons why trying to repurpose a volume pedal as an expression pedal often produces unsatisfactory results. Some wah pedals use pots approximating a reverse log taper. In most cases this will not work well for an expression pedal either, but there are at least two known cases where this is actually a requirement for an expression pedal.