#1 LarryLion

LarryLion

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCaledon, Ontario

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

Some pretty cool sounds out of this thing.  HEFTY price tag, though!

http://www2.gibson.c...on-USA/LPX.aspx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Larry d'Lion

2012 Line 6 JTV-69

Plus lots of Tele's, Gretsches,

Mesa Boogie amps, Fender Blues Jr.,

... and lots of acoustic stuff

#2 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5271 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

I don't understand Gibson's insistence on putting effects in these guitars. Who really wants that?

O, yeah, that's right... :D :P

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#3 LarryLion

LarryLion

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Forget the effects - and the Robo Tuners - listen to the simulation clips.  Pretty darned good.  Line 6 engineers, I'm really looking forward to Ver. 2.0 now !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Larry d'Lion

2012 Line 6 JTV-69

#4 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Firebird X was a major flop. A LP version seems nicer, but it's probably the same awful price and electronics.

When it comes to modeling, I believe modeling is getting a variety of features for a cheap price, an affordable alternative compared to buying all the real equipment that it represents.

The Firebird X was like 4-5k new. That is atrocious. It is against what I believe modeling is to stand for.

The tonality of it is pretty poor as well. The design is awful, and I believe the finish on the guitars is poorly done if I remember people complaining about it.

The excessive amount of controls is protruding as well.

Fender got it pretty right when they teamed up with Roland, but Gibson, needs to overhaul their idea.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#5 stevekc

stevekc

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Been there done that
http://www.vguitarfo...=downfile&id=23

Gibson Thinks running coil split pickups into an onboard internal graphic EQ = Variax Competitor - NOT!!

#6 Tboneous

Tboneous

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

I don't understand Gibson's insistence on putting effects in these guitars. Who really wants that?

O, yeah, that's right... :D :P

:lol:

#7 Inerzia

Inerzia

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

Competitor? Hardly...
Every now and then the big guitar companies come up with something as embarrassing as this LPX thing,

which only shows that they have no clue what people are looking for and they're better off doing what they do best.
Variaxes are not perfect, but the approach used is still the best, not to mention the integration with other L6 products

#8 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Competitor? Hardly...
Every now and then the big guitar companies come up with something as embarrassing as this LPX thing,

which only shows that they have no clue what people are looking for and they're better off doing what they do best.
Variaxes are not perfect, but the approach used is still the best, not to mention the integration with other L6 products

Their approach is remarkable. They know what guitarists want, and the Variax was executed amazingly.

I can't stop pointing out how smart it was of Line 6 to use piezos, since piezos have a massively broad, flat frequency response compared to mag pickups.

Before a mag pickup, comes the exact sound of your strings without any pickups or anything else coloring the sound. You want to record exactly how your strings sound when they're being played. A piezo captures the string's nuances and natural sound the closest compared to any other pickups.

You basically pretend that raw piezo input is exactly your strings, and that the processor is your pickups and body/guitar emulation.

Everyone didn't like the Firebird X, so I don't understand why they're pushing for a rehash.

They need to overhaul their guitar and take their heads out of the anti-digtal mindset. It's such a cliche thing to say analog is superior to digital. It all depends on the execution, not whether it's digital or analog.

That guy running Gibson is pretty stubborn. I love their normal guitars, but that guy needs to stop forcing the company to do bad choices like this.

#9 jefflynyrd

jefflynyrd

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

New competitor??? That's a ROTFLMFAO joke! They are going for $5,000 american dollars... My JTV would probably kick its ars at less than 1/4 of that price!

#10 LarryLion

LarryLion

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

Their approach is remarkable. They know what guitarists want, and the Variax was executed amazingly.

I can't stop pointing out how smart it was of Line 6 to use piezos, since piezos have a massively broad, flat frequency response compared to mag pickups.

Before a mag pickup, comes the exact sound of your strings without any pickups or anything else coloring the sound. You want to record exactly how your strings sound when they're being played. A piezo captures the string's nuances and natural sound the closest compared to any other pickups.

You basically pretend that raw piezo input is exactly your strings, and that the processor is your pickups and body/guitar emulation.

Everyone didn't like the Firebird X, so I don't understand why they're pushing for a rehash.

They need to overhaul their guitar and take their heads out of the anti-digtal mindset. It's such a cliche thing to say analog is superior to digital. It all depends on the execution, not whether it's digital or analog.

That guy running Gibson is pretty stubborn. I love their normal guitars, but that guy needs to stop forcing the company to do bad choices like this.

Clay-man, you obviously did not read the LPX specs:  it has a piezo-loaded bridge. That's the same approach used by Line6 for the emulations.

To all of you - listen to the clips, and stop kidding yourselves.  The available Gibson guitar emulations are a lot better sounding than that of the JTV, across the board. Are they doctored? - maybe, but then so are the Line6 demos - I've never been able to replicate the marketing blurb clips on a JTV 69.

The JTV is exactly what you pay for: a cheap solution. Are they competitors?  At the technology level, definitely, although the Gibson approach to alternate tunings is crappy (robo-tuners).  The magnetic side of the LPX will be better, since just about anything is better than the garbage mag pickups on a stock JTV, and the classic '57 humbucker is hard to beat. The JTV-US prices are crazy, there I think the street prices of the LPX will be about the same.  Wait for the LPX to come out in "Epiphone" version (it will), and I'll wager that price will be on a par with the Korean JTV's, so price will not be an issue, for all models.

All in all, I think the LPX is a serious competitor, for as long as Line6 lags with the current (crappy) guitar simulations.  As for quality and build, if you guys have ever owned a Gibson USA product, you know that they are well made.  Cannot say the same for the JTV, unfortunately.

Anyone ever checked on the street prices of used JTV's?  That's always a good bellwether of real value.  My research tells me that a one-year old JTV drops about 40% in value (not including taxes).  I'll bet Gibson won't have that problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Larry d'Lion

2012 Line 6 JTV-69

#11 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5271 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

To all of you - listen to the clips, and stop kidding yourselves.  The available Gibson guitar emulations are a lot better sounding than that of the JTV, across the board. Are they doctored? - maybe, but then so are the Line6 demos - I've never been able to replicate the marketing blurb clips on a JTV 69.

I did listen to the clips and wasn't that impressed, honestly. But, hey, if people like it, that's fine. I just didn't hear anything all that remarkable. It seems to me that Gibson has been messing with guitars with digital outputs for quite a long time now. I don't know if people remember, but back in 1999, Gibson introduced a system called MaGIC that was supposed to revolutionize electric guitar. It never went anywhere. I don't hate Gibson, but for whatever reason they just seem to have trouble getting it together when it comes to technology-driven stuff. I imagine it may come down to getting the right talent to work for them.

Also, don't forget, Line 6 is introducing the HD Variax models very soon. All I can say is that they will be game-changers.

Time is a train

#12 jayson2

jayson2

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

Also, don't forget, Line 6 is introducing the HD Variax models very soon. All I can say is that they will be game-changers.

That's a bit of a bold statement! Guess us regular peons just have to wait for Line 6 to get their dung together and release the upgrade! :-)

Cheers,

jayson

#13 brue58ski

brue58ski

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Gafffaflabbaflllsteranndkksl!!!  Huh?!?! What?!?! I know they semi announced a JTV upgrade and then pulled back on it but I didn't know they were HD Variax models.  I'm assuming that means they are redoing the models from the ground up like they did the amps.  Is that true?

#14 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14790 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

:)

Gafffaflabbaflllsteranndkksl!!!  Huh?!?! What?!?! I know they semi announced a JTV upgrade and then pulled back on it but I didn't know they were HD Variax models.  I'm assuming that means they are redoing the models from the ground up like they did the amps.  Is that true?

#15 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Clay-man, you obviously did not read the LPX specs:  it has a piezo-loaded bridge. That's the same approach used by Line6 for the emulations.

The JTV is exactly what you pay for: a cheap solution. Are they competitors?  At the technology level, definitely, although the Gibson approach to alternate tunings is crappy (robo-tuners).  The magnetic side of the LPX will be better, since just about anything is better than the garbage mag pickups on a stock JTV, and the classic '57 humbucker is hard to beat. The JTV-US prices are crazy, there I think the street prices of the LPX will be about the same.  Wait for the LPX to come out in "Epiphone" version (it will), and I'll wager that price will be on a par with the Korean JTV's, so price will not be an issue, for all models.

All in all, I think the LPX is a serious competitor, for as long as Line6 lags with the current (crappy) guitar simulations.  As for quality and build, if you guys have ever owned a Gibson USA product, you know that they are well made.  Cannot say the same for the JTV, unfortunately.

Anyone ever checked on the street prices of used JTV's?  That's always a good bellwether of real value.  My research tells me that a one-year old JTV drops about 40% in value (not including taxes).  I'll bet Gibson won't have that problem.

Woah woah man. I know they have Piezos, but last I heard, they're only using the piezos to emulate the acoustic sound, now the guitar sound.

I believe they're using the mini humbuckers for all electric sounds, they're just highly configurable, like splitting, series or parallel.

The problem I have with the X series is that it costs way too much for what it is, and when it comes to a versatile guitar, I wanted a telecaster and strat sound at the same time, so the Variax was obviously what I needed to get. 

The LPX doesn't specifically replicate guitars.

#16 brue58ski

brue58ski

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:35 AM

Well I guess the bottom line is get what you want.  I am incredibly happy with my Variax.  I've compared it to as many of the real things that I can find and have been very impressed (as have the owners of those guitars) What ever differences there are I can attribute to not every guitar being exactly the same (all of the guitars I used for comparison were fairly new, no "vintage" guitars.)  The Variax works great for me and the Gibson isn't as flexible and costs too much for what you get in my opinion.

#17 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

If it turns out that the HD upgrade has morphed into "buy a new guitar", I'm going to be a bit miffed.  Can you please clarify that statement? 

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990) w/ GK-3 Hex PU

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

QSC K10 FRFR

#18 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14790 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

The 2.0 (HD) upgrade was announced last year at winter NAMM, and it applies to the current guitars, no new guitars were announced.

If it turns out that the HD upgrade has morphed into "buy a new guitar", I'm going to be a bit miffed.  Can you please clarify that statement? 

#19 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5271 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

Yeah, what Zap said... By "models" I was referring to the digital models within the Variax itself. They are all going to be upgraded to HD models with the 2.0 update. So if you have a JTV at the present, the update will give you access to the new models through a free firmware upgrade.

Time is a train

#20 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

Yeah, what Zap said... By "models" I was referring to the digital models within the Variax itself. They are all going to be upgraded to HD models with the 2.0 update. So if you have a JTV at the present, the update will give you access to the new models through a free firmware upgrade.

Ok, thanks for clarifying!  I thought that was what the plan was, but the overloaded use of "models" threw me off.  It would be nice if that upgrade had seen the light of day by now, but as the mantra goes:  "Release no software before its time!  And, perhaps not even then...".

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990) w/ GK-3 Hex PU

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

QSC K10 FRFR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users