Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Ideas/Suggestions With Helix

johoffry

Hey guys...so I now have MY dream rig (at least for now). Helix, Variax JTV and decent set of studio monitors. I would like some suggestions for cool ideas to integrate Helix with Variax. 

question,

-when using Variax with Helix:

a)should I be using both cables (VDI and 1/4")? and sending both inputs simultaneously to my effects loop?

b)should I be able to VDI to my Helix and my Helix to my computer to recognize the Variax (I think that works for POD)

Please shoot me your Helix/Variax integration ideas!

Thanks!

Interesting, I never ran ran my JTV through the HD500 to workbench. I'm sure Helix will do the same eventually if not already.

I don't see why you would run a 1/4" with the VDI though, I don't use the mags anyhow. I do use the Variax preset to select the pup's on every preset and a few tuning's as well.

Hey guys...so I now have MY dream rig (at least for now). Helix, Variax JTV and decent set of studio monitors. I would like some suggestions for cool ideas to integrate Helix with Variax. 

question,

a)should I be using both cables (VDI and 1/4")? and sending both inputs simultaneously to my effects loop?

I don't think you need the 1/4"; you should be able to run both mags and models simultaneously over the VDI cable.

b)should I be able to VDI to my Helix and my Helix to my computer to recognize the Variax (I think that works for POD)

That's how it works on POD and how it's supposed to work on Helix.  I haven't tried it yet but I will this afternoon.  If there's a problem I'll post it here.

What I do with the HD500X is take full advantage of the ability to force custom tunings on the Variax for each patch.  I'll set up a Devin Townsend patch and have the Variax automatically switch to the model and pickup position I want and alter the tuning (Lester Bridge, Open C).

Thanks!

one question I had, can I send two outputs from my Variax into the Helix? For instance, magnetics processed with clean effect and say a Sitar processed by the second path of the Helix. I think I saw a video somewhere with POD doing similar thing. I am trying to do it right now but not sure where I would start.

one question I had, can I send two outputs from my Variax into the Helix? For instance, magnetics processed with clean effect and say a Sitar processed by the second path of the Helix. I think I saw a video somewhere with POD doing similar thing. I am trying to do it right now but not sure where I would start.

I just took about a minute and set up a quick Helix patch.  My JTV69 is connected via the VDI cable only.  

I set up 2 paths.  

The first path has the input block set to Multi (Guitar, Aux, Variax).  Then it goes into a really good Taylor 314ce - DPA 4011 impulse response.  The output block is set to Multi as well.

The second path has the input block set to Variax Magnetics.  Then it goes through a Fender Twin Reverb amp  (US Double Nrm).  The output block is set to Multi.

This works great and I'm definitely getting both sounds at once.

question,

Thanks!

a) no

The VDI carries both the magnetic and modelled sounds, as well as power, so if you are using the VDI, you do not need the 1/4 inch.

I set up another patch last night with the JTV69 connected to Helix via VDI cable.

This one had one of the JTV acoustic models going into the Taylor IR and out to a PA speaker while the magnetic pickups were going into a couple of effects and an amp block and out to a DT25 amp.

Then I set up the expression pedal for toe up = acoustic and toe down = electric.  Anywhere in between blends the 2 signal paths.

It was easy and fun to set this up.

• Upvote 2