Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd500x Usb Connection Issue

djspleen

I hooked up my HD500X via USB for the first time tonight. After the initial driver installation (with seemingly no problem) I received an error message when connecting to edit software (see posted pic). As suggested, I disconnected/connected the hardware and started/re-started the software (more than one cycle) with same results. So then I tried to start completely over by uninstalling the Pod drivers. Now when I plug it in via USB it can't find any drivers to install...how cool! So, it won't install or recognize when the Pod is plugged in. Off to a great start! I searched for a similar error code on here but didn't find anything, so hopefully I'm not rehashing something that's already been discussed. I know how you guys love it when that happens. dj

post-460567-0-56005100-1374712291_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On older computers there is a mix of USB 1.0 and USB 2.0, - Be sure you always use a USB 2.0 Port, and always use the same physical port you used when you first installed the Line 6 HD-500X USB Driver. If you swap to a different USB port on your computer - expect to re-install the Line 6 HD-500X USB Driver.

Re your Error message  - yes I got that too for the first few attempts at connecting the HD-500X   - suggest close all apps, shut down, restart the Computer , then connect the HD-500X with USB, (to the same port you installed the USB Driver), Launch Monkey 1.63 - confirm Monkey can locate your HD-500X

HD-500X_Version_130724_zps9093a9e2.png

Only after Monkey applies all updates, then close Monkey and Retry HD-500X Edit. On my HP HDX-18i Dual Core Win7 laptop  -  Mine took three retries of HD-500X Edit  (with 30 second wait between each attempt) before HD-500X Edit made a successful connection and Sync.

Interesting.  I'll make sure to give the Monkey a try.  I tried to connect to my laptop but I received the exact same error message as I got on my XP desktop.  I'm pretty sure I don't have any 1.0 USB ports on any of my computers, but stranger things have happened, I suppose.  I did notice that two of my USB ports didn't seem to like the Pod.  So I tried another port on the back of the computer and it at least recognized it.  Crazy stuff!

Hmm...Monkey says the installed Flash Memory version is "unknown" and should be updated (it has the yellow exclamation point sign).  But every time it tries it says it's timing out (after only a few seconds?) so it fails.  

I attached some screenshots.

Something screwy is going on here.

HD500X_Monkey_Error.jpg

The driver cannot install or uninstall with Usb connected!!!

Disconnect. Then deinstall and reinstall driver. Only connect when driver asks you to connect. Use a buildt-in Usb2 port only. You can keep monkey but close it during inst process. Download newest driver.

I installed the driver and the 500X edit software before the 500X arrived, meaning I never connected the USB. When the unit came, I connected it and it worked fine.

Incidentally, I renamed the file extensions on my saved setlists while I was waiting for it to arrive, and the X loaded them without a hitch. I now have all my old patches on the new unit.

I don't think I have an issue with the driver.  The driver installed when I installed the 500X software several days ago (before I had the unit, similar to what SiCantwell mentioned). 

When I plugged in the Pod to my computer, it did it's normal plug-and-pray operation and proceeded without issue UNTIL I try to connect it to the Edit software. 

mazua, I'll try what you say, but you're describing the process I used already.  I didn't have anything hooked up during the initial driver install or when I de-installed/re-installed the drivers downloaded directly from Line 6.

The symptoms point to a USB connectivity issue more than a driver issue I think. Try all USB ports on your computer (I think you've already done this, but make sure). Also make sure you are not using any USB hubs. Systematically disconnect other usb devices for test purposes to try to identify a conflict (Logitech webcams have been a frequently reported conflicting device).

Here's a fairly old but still relevant document that may help:

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1484

• Upvote 1

Thanks Uber.  I've tried multiple ports, but not all of them yet.  I'll swap some things out and give it a try.  I have several things plugged in the other USB ports, mouse, printer, scanner, external hard drive, etc.  None of them sound too exotic but I'll give it a try.

After last night's fiasco, the two ports on the front of my computer don't work with the Pod at all anymore, for whatever reason.  They just give me three nasty beeps meaning, "hey, I don't like it when that's hooked up to me!" but I can attach other items to those same ports and it works fine.

I don't own a USB hub so that's not an issue.

I do find it interesting that my Windows 7 laptop gave me the same connectivity error as my desktop.

Clever to try it on another pc. Last thing is to exchange your usb cable with eg the printer cable. Otherwise it is time to give a try with another exchanged hd500x. At this state I would not risk a failed reflash with save mode.

Oh boy...I was really trying/hoping to avoid that alternative.  I did open a support ticket with Line 6, maybe they'll come up with something. 

I'll give the printer cable a try and see what's up. 

USB hubs can be internal....Generally, front ports are on a hub...rear ports are using on a root controller...

One of the things that happens to some folks is not disconnecting during the driver installation...That can make things whacked, but I have never had to uninstall to fix it...just install the driver with nothing connected...The Edit installer has the driver in it also...Sometimes the driver in the Edit installer is out of synch with the driver install that is packaged alone...

I suggest flashing in safe mode...If it bricks, then you needed a new unit anyway...

EDIT: Another thought...Have you checked your chipset drivers? The problem can be on the PC side and generally the chipset has that stuff...lower than that would be BIOS firmware...might be worth checking that the MB drivers are all up to date... 

Edited by spaceatl
Added Info

Oh boy...I was really trying/hoping to avoid that alternative.  I did open a support ticket with Line 6, maybe they'll come up with something. 

I'll give the printer cable a try and see what's up. 

Hi,

I'll post this in your account as well so be sure to reply there. ;)

I agree with the other posts:

Have you tried connecting to ALL USB Ports on the computer?

Are you using a USB hub?

Try another Cable.

Ultimately the best way to troubleshoot is to try this on another computer. This will help determine if the issue is related to the computer of a physical issue with the 500X.

Also inspect the USB port on the 500, does it look intact?

Hold down the DOWN arrow on the D-Pad while powering the 500X up.

The LCD will read UPDATE FLASH.

Connect it to your computer and reflash with Line 6 Monkey.

Also, it could be under powered. Are you using the original power supply?

Again, reply back to your ticket. If you respond only to this post I might not see it.

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Update:  

I've tried all 4 USB ports on the back of my desktop and I've tried all 3 USB ports on my laptop.  After it did it's plug-n-play thing on each of the ports...same results.  

I'll try a different USB cable but Monkey currently seems to recognize that a 500X is attached.  It just can't do anything with it.

I'll post another update after the different cable attempt(s).

One thing that I noticed on the laptop that I don't remember seeing on the desktop, right after I start up the Edit software an error message flashes for a second "Invalid data found in one or more patches.  These patches have been reset and named "New Tone (Reset)".  But then the Edit software starts, the timeout message shows up and there are no patches from the unit anyway, so it probably doesn't mean much, I just wanted to be thorough.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions.  It will work eventually!

Ok...last update for the evening, I hope.  I tried a different USB cable that has been working fine connected to the printer.  I tried all three USB ports on the laptop (I skipped the desktop this time...what's the point?) and same results.

I grabbed another cable from my scanner and attempted on the first USB port on the laptop with the same results.  I moved on to the next USB port but this time I got a message "Could not detect a Pod HD500X connected to your computer.  Pod HD500X Edit will run in offline mode."  I thought that was strange so I looked down at the Pod and the Line6 splash screen was cycling on the LCD screen.  I left it plugged in while I was typing this post and it's still just cycling through the splash screen.  I've also tried unplugging it for a moment and plugging it back in several times, waiting different lengths of time before plugging it in...still cycling.

Line6david, I'll send my official reply via the support ticket as you requested.  Thanks.

Lets guess you have checked all USB ports and they are ok. Same to the USB cables and the power supply. Lets's also say you have installed the newest drivers correctly with attention.

Your question about save mode has been answered by Line6David. Press and hold the down arrow key while powering on. This will display the fw update screen. Now you can reflash over Line6Monkey. I personally prefer to download the newest firmware first and to reflash offline by the stored flash-file.

I wish you the best for I have no idea then (instead of exchanging the device)

Monkey won't update it because it keeps giving me the timeout error.  If I can't get a good connection to the Pod then I don't know how it could update the firmware.

Unless I'm trying to flash it using a wrong procedure, which could be the case as this is all new to me. 

This could likely be a moot point now anyway, as when I power up the Pod it won't go beyond the Line 6 splash screen.  It just keeps cycling through that screen every 5-10 seconds.

Logo hot loop is usually solved by resetting the global settings (power up holding D pad down)...that's the safe mode for re-flashing also...This has been suggested a few times on the thread but it is not clear to me if you have actually tried that or not...The pod will not update while it is in a logo loop...

I'm sorry I wasn't clear earlier.  I tried the re-flash using the power up holding D pad down method.  The Pod is ready to update via Monkey, but the timeout error keeps appearing so Monkey won't update it the way things sit now. 

Both Monkey and Edit software recognize that a 500X is attached, but when a working connection is attempted I instantly get the timeout error.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear earlier.  I tried the re-flash using the power up holding D pad down method.  The Pod is ready to update via Monkey, but the timeout error keeps appearing so Monkey won't update it the way things sit now. 

Both Monkey and Edit software recognize that a 500X is attached, but when a working connection is attempted I instantly get the timeout error.

Thanks...no worries...So my next question would be; Have you tried it using an different computer altogether? Seems like you said you tried known good cable with other working devices...Using another PC basically eliminates the PC as the cause and if you get the same error, it points to something being wrong with the POD...I say return it and get a new one if the retailer you used offers that (GC is 30 days I think)...Otherwise, it really seems like the unit might need service...might be a defective port or some such...

There is another thing that came to mind, but this is a bit of a reach...This issue is almost exactly like one I saw years back with the Flextone III XL using a midi interface...specifically an Edirol...By default, it would be set to echo data...The data over USB on the POD is basically midi over USB...It's serial data, so is midi...The echo messes up the stream and causes the failure immediately...Again, this would be a reach if there is something  in the USB config that is messing with bulk mode on your PC's USB...However, a very easy way to test that would be to just print a doc to a USB printer or save a file to USB jump drive...Both use bulk mode...same mode the firmware burn uses...

I still think you should exchange it if you can...do over...good luck to you...

All is right again with the world!  I called Guitar Center and they were happy to exchange the first one.  I took the new one home, hooked up the USB, updated the flash with Monkey just like it's supposed to, started the Edit Software and BAM!  Everything works perfectly!

So, it was a faulty original unit.  Who'da thunk it?

I'm marking this thread as SOLVED!

Thanks to Guitar Center and to everyone here that offered their expertise and suggestions.  There is a great wealth of experience and knowledge here!

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey there John,

What about this one? Were you able to get that one resolved?

help me ...
I do update flash memory my POD HD 500 X from version 1. 10 to version 1:20, when in the middle process, appear notification in line 6 monkey "POD HD 500 X updates failed, firmware update times out waiting for response from the device, try the update again, making sure the cable are still connected "then I tried over and over but can not always do the updates and notifications always appear the same, now I have a problem, in the LCD appears a message "Flash Update", I tried to turn off my hardware power but after reboot back to "Update Flash" .. I have tried to do a hardware reset by pressing the left arrow button navigation, but does not work ... please help me to solve this problem ....

sorry, my english so bad

If the safe mode reflash doesn't fix it you should do a couple of things. Try a different usb cable trying different ports then try a different PC if you can.

However when in doubt you can always shoot a support ticket in:

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

Hope that helps!

Bill

My HD300 (purchased about 3 weeks ago) was connecting via USB fine...until today.... Now no amount of uninstalling/installing/rebooting or trying different USB ports can get the POD connecting to the PC

The Device manager shows it as an unknown usb device but the windows driver update procedure will not accept the HD300 drivers.

Monkey, Edit or the Line6 USB/MIDI device manager also will not recognise the POD.

Am I gonna start regreatting this purchase ?

Lets have some proper help Line 6 !

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

hi all, i bought this pod hd 500 from one of my friend few days ago, I wanted to update its firmware, so for that i have downloaded latest drivers , monkey etc as i read in forms. when i try to connect POD to pc , the pod starts restarting , and in pc (line 6 monkey) its shows POD connect for 10 seconds after that it gets disconnected then again it connects for 10 sec. i have checked USB in pod its seems to be fine no broken plastic and no bent and i have tried different USB ports in my laptop and different USB cables too. PLEASE HELP 

• 5 months later...

I have a POD HD, connected to a Mac book pro, OS X El Capitan. Downloaded the newest Monkey, cause my POD was not recognized in the Logic studio after I've updated to OS X El Capitan. Everything started to go crazy when I tried to download the Flash Memory. I saw in the POD's display: Flash Memory, then the Mac crashed. Now theres is no sound at all coming from the POD, I can't use it for playing, and every time I try to download the Flash Memory I get the code 8000900C. This is kinng me!

I have this problem as well for some time now on and off with my HD500X. It seems like it's most prone to happen when I have played around with it, turned some effects on/off and THEN try to open up HD Edit.

It's irritating but I have always solved it by just click "import setlist" or "import all". It Works just fine for me!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My "Flash Memory" update froze my PODHD500.  It gave the message 8000900C.  I'm can't perform now.  Help please.  My Drivers, Firmware, and all Applications are up to date.  And the latest Flash Memory is downloaded into my computer.  But won't work.  I have El Capitan - Mac.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just bought a new HD500X. Have spent 3 hours now trying to install 3 separate software programs, update drivers, update firmware, update flash, connect software. What a hassle! Have needed to update drivers, update firmware, update flash 3 times now to try to get Edit software to connect. Still not working. Every time I try I lose my driver and flash settings and have to start all over. Considering returning the whole thing to Guitar Center.

• 2 months later...

The POD never shows in my Finder sidebar, but when I start Monkey it does see the device. But when I try to do a USB Firmware update it says cannot establish a connection to the POD HD500X. If I unplug the USB then Monkey says no device found and when I plug it in again, it finds it. But I get the same error trying to do the firmware update!! What is going on!!??

I also updated the drivers (USB not connected) and it did a restart, but never asked to plug in the USB. See the drivers folder, but in Monkey it still says not installed.

Edited by daco2000
Additional info

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently purchased a used POD HD500X and I had the same issue with updating a firmware using Line6 Monkey (ESN-00000000 and Error Code 80007008). Previous user promised that he has bought it new from the store and never used a usb port. I tried to connect it with 4 different usb cables, tried to connect it to 2 laptops, tried all the usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports - the result was always the same error. I tried HD500 Edit and it worked ok syncing all the patches. Monkey shows correct version numbers of all firmwares installed (I had v1.0 flash firmware installed and wanted 2.62 to be installed). So I found that connection and hardware is ok except this annoying error in L6 Monkey that doesn't give a chance to update flash firmware.

At last I've found a solution.

BUT USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! I don't know the consequences if there are any real hardware problems in your case!

CHECK CABLE, USB-PORTS, AND SO ON. CHECK THAT HD500 EDIT IS SYNCING WITH HARDWARE WITHOUT PROBLEMS BEFORE USING THIS SOLUTION!

So that's what I've done:

1. Download Flash Memory Firmware file

2. Connect HD500X to laptop via usb cable

3. Run L6 Monkey (it shows the same annoying hardware error)

4. Download and run any app that enables disabled buttons in any other windows application (I've used a WinSpy Tool)

5. Select Flash Memory Item in Monkey's items list and enable "Update from File" button using the app in step4

6. Click on Update from File button and select downloaded in step1 Flash Memory File

7. Wait until the flash is complete (You'll see something like "Reflashing Memory.." on POD's screen)

8. Turn off POD for 5 seconds and turn it on again

PROFIT!!11

I don't know the reasons of this annoying error with detection of POD as I always used and updated my second HD500 without any issues.

I tried different USB chords and still nothing, but then I decided to uninstall the drivers and reinstall, for the third time, because I had read that the USB must not be connected while doing this. It then wanted to restart the computer, which it did before, but this time it took a lot more time to come back up. Still nothing. Said Drivers not installed. Went to System Preferences and looked at the "Allow apps downloaded from" section. In the past THIS never mentioned line6, but this time it said the drivers were blocked, so I hit "Allow," and plugged in the USB and went to the MIDI/Audio Utility, and the POD showed up! Went to Monkey, "Drivers installed!" Updated Flash with no issues! Started Edit, and it came right up and connected to the POD!!

I also managed to hook up the POD as an audio interface and can now record in GarageBand!

HOWEVER! I discovered another glitch while trying to create a preset. I added a few pedals, and reverb etc., and then added a second amp. All was well, until I tried rtf scroll left to edit the pedals. I made a static sound, froze, and then began starting and restarting the POD! Had to unplug and restart. Haven't solved THAT problem yet!