5 replies to this topic

#1 CraigDavson

CraigDavson

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

So wondering whether anyone has looked at this new desk Mackie have put out and compared it to the M20. I have the M20 and I know a couple of guys that have gone and bought the new Mackie but I have not had a chance to look it over. Is it as good as they say or does it fall short. I know the price difference is a big jump.

#2 bassman24

bassman24

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationSouth West Germany

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:50 AM

Mh, don´t know. I think you have to take in account that you are required to buy an ipad in order to use the Mackie, it doesn´t work without it, the M20 does. You should add this to the Mackie price.

I also like the M20d "just play-around" approch and presets for common instruments und microphone setups, which invites for a lot of playing without learning about equilizers, gates, de-essers, etc. I think the Mackie is just more a traditional desk where just have the faders on your ipad and you have to know exaclty what you are doing in order to set up everything for good sound.

Haven´t thought about how Equilizers are set up, what frequencies you have to lower or turn higher if you have acoustic guitars and female voice in orer to create a broad sound before our first gig and we sounded just great with just a little bit of work regarding to setting up the desk. This is what I like about the M20D.

Nonetheless the M20 works with cheap USB wireless stick (well, most of the time and if you get the right one), the Mackie Needs a router so again more eqipment on the stage.

#3 linesixy

linesixy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

I'm not an expert... so some of my beliefs may be inaccurate... but I think the m20d has a lot of capabilities that I don't believe are included in the Mackie. eg Mackie can record the stereo mix - but not the multiple tracks... M20d includes feedback suppression (don't think the Mackie has this)... Mackie does not store gains in its memory... M20d also has the auto gain feature. I think there may be more effects in the M20d (eg vocal doubling etc). The user interfaces are very different. The M20d gives you a choice of an easy interface or the deep tweak mode.

On the other hand the Mackie has 16 mic inputs (12 on M20d) and 6 aux outputs (4 on M20d)... and there may be other differences that might be important to you.

It's probably best to invest a little time reading the specs for each desk... and then weigh up which features are important to you. Good luck.

#4 CraigDavson

CraigDavson

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Price wise over here in NZ is huge even when you add the ipad price to it. Though most ppl nowadays have one already. I am really hoping the difference is quite a lot with the performance of the desks as the guy who sold me my M20d has gone and bought one of the Mackie desks :-/

The Mackie had not shown up on the shop floor till a couple of months later but I am wondering whether he knew it was coming and wouldn't have minded comparing the two. I love the M20 so pretty sure I would have gone with it but for what I do as well the Mackie would have poss made the choice a lot harder.

#5 linesixy

linesixy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

Just look at the features lists and you'll see there are many significant differences.

I think the Mackie was on the market quite a lot earlier than the M20d in the USA and the UK.

#6 jeanpicasso

jeanpicasso

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:00 AM

first advice is to google it.. theres some good info on them both out there ;)

Its not really fair to compare the 2 mixers. DL1608 as far cheaper and doesnt stand a chance against M20D.

I have had both of them, and the only thing that made DL1608 better is price, size and the faders. In all other aspects the M20D is far superior.

M20D offers a HUGE variety of sound processing, recording options, dynamic EQ´ing, FSP, 4 global effects instead of DL1608´s 2 global effects and god knows what.

After upgrading to M20D, I have never looked back. but again, the 2 are really not comparable in my oppinion.

the only reason I would buy DL1608 is if I couldnt afford M20D and needed a very nice and small mixer (and have an Ipad). But even then i would save a little longer and get M20D. the possibilities are so incredibly bigger AND its sooo funky looking :D .

just my 2 cent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users