Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What effects pedals are you still keeping?

cornerstonetom

Im keeping my EM-Drive and I'm about to get the MXR Reverb. Other than that it replaced all my other effects. Its OCD model is dead on point. Don't really like any of the wahs that are built in but I don't use wah enough to warrant keeping my JHS wah. I sold the JHS to pay for my Relay G-10. 

On my board I have at least a zoom cdr for reverse reverb, a csidman by catalinbread as I doubt the helix will ever do anything like that, a pitchfactor, a boss ps-3 for thru zero flange sounds, and a Afterneath by EQD for the same reason as the csidman.  I also have my ancient rat as it sounds better than the models of a rat and a dedicated volume pedal.

I would love for them to add more pitch stuff, a reverse reverb (why does L6 hate reverse reverb?), and a TZF.  Those sounds i cant really do without.

At home I have so many pedals.  I need to sell 50.

Um, ALL OF THEM!  ;)

Actually, the Helix gave me a HUGE case of GAS for a Klon, which I'd never tried before.  I wound up buying 3 different ones because of the Helix - first an Arc Effects Klone, then a Keeley Oxblood, and finally, the winner - Monsterpiece Mega Stud, which also includes a Dallas Rangemaster.  

Dla9t9C.jpg

Now that I've discovered the subtle and sublime power of a Rangemaster, I really need a modelled version in the Helix!

(Sorry for the mega-big pic of the Mega Stud - but it really is a thing of beauty!

I'm not selling any of them. Well, technically, I finally gave in and sold some that I never used anyway and some that were intended to become part of a MIDI-controlled pedal rig but I was still waiting on parts to be released and they aren't necessary now. Having said that, the only one I am actually still using is a Malekko Plus Ultra fuzz because it plays nice with guitar and bass, so that's just one fuzz to use with both my instruments. Helix isn't quite there on fuzz, otherwise I'd leave that at home, too. I think my Whammy DT is still better for pitch shifting and whammying, but it's not better enough for me to actually care and I can get pretty good harmonies that actually stay in key with the Helix, so whatever.

Kept my H9 Max, Strymon Deco (which I use as my first pedal) and a NovaDrive, but it doesn't get used, now.. Also kept my manta bass filter, for weird distortion fx..

Very tempted to buy a Pog2 again..

Also, Reflex expression pedal is holding its place as the king of exp..

• 2 weeks later...

I sold or are selling all my pedal except a Modded Boss GE-7, a Catlinbread Echorec, Soul Food and Stone Deaf PDF-1 I'm just a bedroom player and main through headphones so it was always over kill for me. I did enjoy building a board, but I got sick of the fiddling. I didn't enjoy other 'multi effects' I have used before, but the helix is like having a board... without the fuss :)

I got rid of / am getting rid of:

Pitchfork

Boss Volume pedal

Strymon Flint

Boss RC-3

Digitech Obscura (for sale)

Digitech Venture Vibe (for sale)

Wampler Ego

A little Fuzz pedal

Flashback

AMT Japanese Girl WAH (for sale)

Dr. Scientist the Elements (for sale)

Keeping my Ethos Ovedrive, Yamaha Magic Stomp, Cry Baby, SP Comp and a Dunlop Volume pedal.

Selling a Holdsworth Signature Overdrive, Digitech Polara, Fender Mustang Floor and maybe a Digitech Bad Monkey.

I'm vascilating on the Bad Monkey as I actually quite like it.

Selling pedals? Over my dead body!  :D 
I've been thinking about bringing a separate pedalboard, with my Korg G4 and some others, but that would be for a very specific gig which I might or might not land.
As many, if anything, I'm inclined to buy more pedals, out of those modeled in Helix. The Klon and the Timmy are an example.
I love the models, so I figure I'd love the originals even more.

The modded FZ-2 was a nice addition for me, BTW. I love my (stock) FZ-2 and considered bringing it along, but never got to it. I still might, because the model doesn't sound exactly like mine; different, very good, but obviously not the same. Hell, I might just bring a separate pedalboard filled with fuzz options!! :D

I still miss the Boss DC-2 though. It was my go to chorus on the HD500 (which I'll keep too), and that... again... makes me want the real thing (if it wasn't so expensive)

There's pedals I keep because they sound or do something I don't think the helix is capable of yet (e.g. Strymon Big Sky) and ones that stay in my studio because the only options are to post for sale and

- Take a total hit on the price and cross fingers that it moves

- Post it at a price you are happy with and watch your advert gather dust before you reach the 'western union payment' spam messages that seem to trigger on older adverts where they assume you are desperate.

Case in point, TC Flashback Delay, a brilliant little device in my book. Street price for new, $170. Every now and again people will post for $120 to $130 for ones that look in perfect condition, and they never ever move. The average price that the things need to settle at is $70, demand just aint that high. I own a Flashback, and the Helix delays more than suffice for me, but I just couldn't sell the thing for $70. I'd rather have it sitting there on the off chance I wanna ever use it or build a tiny board for moving around easily. I may never use it again, and I couldn't counter the argument 'isn't it better to get the $70 rather than have a paperweight', but that's how it is.

Wouldn't doubt it.

Dont doubt it,

I put together a mini grab and go board with a few pedals and sold most of the rest.  Kept my POG2.  Looking for a couple other pedals to supplement with.  Mostly for things that would use a lot of DSP or simply couldnt be done with the helix. 

• 1 month later...

Sold off most of my unused pedals to pay for the Helix. 

After a couple of weeks with the Helix I now think I can part with some of my more used pedals to fund a new guitar. I'm continually re-evlauating what I want to keep and what I can sell.

At this stage the ones I'm likely to keep are in two main categories :

1. Pedals I might use in conjunction with the Helix 

- Strymon Big Sky, Timeline; Eventide H9; Dunlop Vol(X) Expression/Vol pedal

2. Pedals I can't bear to part with, or which are not easy to come by

- Tim, Timmy, El Capistan, Turbo tuner, KoT, Paisley Drive, Scarlett Love

I reckon with just that lot I could rebuild a pretty awesome pedal board in the future if I need to.

Next job is to go home and get out all my other pedals not on that list to put up for sale!

I learned my lesson about three times now of getting rid of all my pedals for the latest greatest multi unit. Sadly I never rebuild my mod, delay, and reverb pedals so I rely on the Helix for all that. I find many of these better to many pedals I have had anyway.

I have a GSP1101 loaded w C63 software, I really like this unit, but would sell it if I get enough to let it go, damn thing is brand new. I just got it before I went for the Helix. I still have not found anything in the Helix I like as mush as the two optimized Clean Tube models this puppy has. 

I am keeping my 2LeafAudio Proton envelope filter, my Mesa Tone Burst, Mesa Flux Drive, and a new Seymour Duncan Palladium I had just got. All these are much liked and will not part with them. They are rigged in a loop just after my up front Heix wah block. 

I have a Mel9 on a split line of a Radial PB1 and a Radial ABY which I may find an artful way to integrate it into the Helix but keep it isolated from my main Helix and loop chain.  I use a series of BBE units which I will not be without on my rigs. There is am XLR unit after the Helix into my main power amp. Another one on my Mel9 and Trio line which runs into a little Mackie mixer converting to XLR outs to my powered EV rig. I have another spare instrument level unit I could use on the Helix 1/4 outs if I send them out the EV rig. I prefer balanced XLR feeds over unnbalanced. The BBE units if used per design really improve the sound. Some may not like them but been my experience it is usually from not using them right. 

Sold all my pedals except a tuner (which I'm not keeping because I use it but because it's worth practally nothing) and I don't really miss them. I did like the Earthquaker fuzz I had better than what's currently in Helix, but it wasn't essential part of my rig and Helix the will probably get other fuzzes down the line!

Helix is awesome!

I have yet to find a setting in Helix that sounds like my beloved-by-me-but-maligned-by-most boss PH-3. I've got the "deluxe phaser" to sound close, so the ph3 only comes on gigs where I'm going to use it a lot (usually church).

Also have an ecstacy red that turns my meager hot rod deluxe into a fire breathing dragon, but I can't quite get it to sound great with the helix models. It's staying in case I build a non-helix pedalboard.

Also have a HOF mini. I could probably take the ph3 for modulation, the ecstacy red and the hof and survive a gig, probably add a delay and a medium gain pedal.

• 1 year later...

I've gone overboard over the years collecting pedals.  I have started to sell some over the last year and since getting the Helix I've started to sell pedals that I never thought I would sell because the Helix sounds so good and it's really all I need.

That said there are still pedals that I really like a lot and wouldn't sell.  I really like my collection of all the HT Blackstar pedals, they sound brilliant.  I have a couple of Damage Control tube distortion / preamp pedals and I really love them.  I really like my ZVez Box Of Metal, I don't think I'd part with that. There are others as well but these are the first ones that spring to mind as keepers.

so far my keepers are:

TC electronic flashback mini - just a great pedal and not worth selling.. in some ways, its delays+effects are on par with the helix, if I ever wanted to add it...

way huge red llama "BYOC" clone - nothing similar in the helix, plus since it's a clone, it's worth more to me than it would be to someone else.

EHX Glove - again, not worth selling, it's a great pedal if I ever need it, and used market makes it worth keeping... it also pushes tube amps great, so I might try it in a helix loop sometime

Boss CE-5 - same. though less useful to use with the helix..

I haven't plugged in a pedal/pedalboard or tube amp since I got the helix... I'm keeping my tube amps for now, and I can use their effects return in, and bypass the cab emulation for that 'amp in the room' thing...

I wouldn't say I NEED any of them with the helix... they just aren't worth selling... the red llama is the only one that helix doesn't have something similar to... the pedal can be magical hitting the right amp... if you have an amp you find too trebly/fizzy the red llama is a fixer that makes it thick, maybe even sludgy as needed... but having 64 amps(so far) in the helix, the use for the llama is limited

I sold my soul food, carbon copy, tube screamer, noise gate and a yamaha THR10x already.. my 535Q wah, Volume pedal Mini, and compressor are on ebay still.

i still have a few pedals but just picked up a wattson electronics eyf-6 fuzz (shin-ei superfuzz clone) this afternoon at a local pawn shop for $45.00.. was having trouble finding the fuzztone i really loved on helix and this really seems to do the trick when i put it before the helix.. and sounds great thru most of the amp models i tried.

Keeping all. I figure it's all a loss if sold today and I have the storage space.

Still using TC Polytune mini, Digi Drop, Digi Freqout, Mooer (Yes mooer) Yellow Comp, and Dunlop Mini Wah.

All on a small board in front of Helix, one wire set-up.

I have two copy paper boxes filled with stomps.  The ONLY one I feel the need to keep is the BOSS/Fender FRV-1 because sometimes I need THAT reverb sound.  Helix isn't there yet, though I did follow a fellow's advice and increase the predelay A LOT, and it got me closer to built-in spring reverb, but still NOTHING like the old outboard reverb units (which I still have an original but I don't mess with it much because the FRV-1 is that good!).

As far as getting rid of the others....meh, too lazy to sell them and GC doesn't give too much on pedals, so they can stay hanging out in the boxes in the back of my studio's gear closet!!

Digitech jamman stereo, the helix looper is way too limited (no separate click track, no time-adjusting cannot store loops)

Nano pog. I got some good result with the built-in shifter (that is polyphonic since which update??!!?), but it takes a lot of dsp and I need that power since I usually run 2-3 amps + multiple cabs at the same time

Everything else, I could sell, but I'll probably keep half of my rig as a home-rig and back-up

In one FX loop (2 on the helix), I have the 8 paralell paths of my OneControl OC10 running (in order): Bogner Harlow, Mad Professor Simble Pre Drive, Lovepedal germanium Believe, Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Vertex Dynamic Distortion, Silver Pony v1, Paul Cochrane Tim v2, and a Keeley Time machine boost. Through Loops 3&4 I've got two h9's and a timeline.

Midi through CommandCenter and snapshots was a gamechanger.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

After several weeks of editing to get my working rig, the only pedal I found I needed to retain is the Digitech Mosaic. This pedal is spookily good at emulating a proper 12 string sound, and I just cant find anything as good in all the Helix bits and bobs.

I have a suspicion that my TC Electronic Polytune is a better tuner than the inbuilt Helix one, but the jury is still out on that particular one.

I have the largest Emma Electronic pedalboard and it was *full* of stuff as my working stage rig. After a long and fruitless search for a suitable replacement pedalboard I ended up turning the thing upside down, flipping over the joining pieces and then velcroing the Helix and the Mosaic to it. A bit of jiggery pokery with some power cables and some cable ties and the rig is good to go with a 2 minute set up time...sorry, a bit off topic there...

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the most lacking effect within the Helix is it's Reverbs so, although not a pedal, I use my 11Rack in the effects loop for this purpose. It saves some on Helix's DSP and has rich, pristine Pro Tools reverbs which maybe only a Strymon could touch. 

I believe the most lacking effect within the Helix is it's Reverbs so, although not a pedal, I use my 11Rack in the effects loop for this purpose. It saves some on Helix's DSP and has rich, pristine Pro Tools reverbs which maybe only a Strymon could touch.

Doh!! So from this statement, Headrush must have better verbs then Helix!!

Come on Line 6, step up the verbs!!

• 2 months later...

So I started out with a Kemper before switching to Helix.

So ditched all my mod/delay pedals.

So what I have I’ll not be shifting.

Fortin Grind

Fortin 33

ThorpyFX Muffroom Cloud

ThorpyFX Peacekeeper

Eventide H9

Dubrek Audio Harmonik germanium Fuzz

Will soon be adding a Kingsley Page

And planning on an analog delay at some point.

I am keeping a small mini board for use with the one or two "sentimental" tube amps I'm hanging on to - a Tweed Deluxe (gutted/handwired early re-issue) and a L'il Dawg 5F10 Harvard Head).  

The board has - Mini Crybaby Wah -> Mini Tuner ->  EP Boost -> BB Preamp (only non-Mini Pedal on it) -> Mooer Compressor -> Mooer Trelicopter Tremolo -> Mooer Ensemble King Chorus -> Flashback Mini Delay.  

I MIGHT hang on to a TS 9 that I have, only because EVERYONE needs to have a TubeScreamer in their life. Also might keep my Xotic Wah (I may want to integrate that with my Helix so I can dedicate the built-in expression pedal to Volume only?)  Still on the fence about that.

All else will be going on the sale block very soon:  

Strymon Flint w/ Favorite Switch

Fulltone Plimsoul

Wampler Hotwired V1

Cmatmods Signa Drive

Mooer 90 Orange Phaser (mini)

Mooer Yellow Comp

PT Jr w/ M80 Case and PP2 Power supply

T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr Power Supply

Richie Kotzen Fly Rig

Clark Penrose 2X10 Tweed Combo (5F4 Tweed Super Clone)

Quilter MP Mach II 8" combo

Peavey Bandit