27 replies to this topic

#21 silverspeedy

silverspeedy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

silverhead - the issue I've got with your solution is that whenever I switch to a new patch, the HD500x automatically switches the L3t into Electric Guitar mode when it's connected over Line6 Link.  I've drained the settings pages in the POD but I can't see how to tie a patch to a different mode on the L3t.  I agree that your solution gives the fullest sound (maybe even too much boomy bass at times) but I've got to set the speaker to Reference anytime a switch patches.  Any hints?  Or this only setup only works over 1/4inch or XLR?

#22 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11094 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:33 AM

You need to re-save the HD500x patch after manually setting the L3t set to Reference mode. Thereafter, recalling the patch will reset the mode to Reference rather than Electric Guitar.

It's a strange setup. The L3t mode setting is saved in the HD patch, but you can't set it in the patch either directly on the HD device or in HD Edit. It is only changed by saving the patch with the L3t in a different mode setting. By default, the L3t is set to Electric Guitar mode in every HD patch. In other words, every HD patch will set the L3t mode to Electric Guitar until you save that patch with the L3t in a different mode.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#23 silverspeedy

silverspeedy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

So I've got a partial solution and I hope it helps someone...the HD500 "knows" what mode the L3t (or L2t) is in.  So when you're in a preset and hit the mode button on the back of the speaker, you'll get the star in the upper left hand of the Pod's display.  Save the preset with the Pod's save button and you're done.  Repeat for other patches.  The speaker mode doesn't show up in any of the Pod menus and it doesn't seem supported through the HD Edit software either - you have to use the Pod's built-in interface.  I'd love to be proven wrong, but this will work for now.

#24 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1089 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

Actually L6 suggest using combo power amp output mode and electric guitar amp mode on the pod and speaker respectively.
Connect them together with a l6link cable and they will both change those settings automatically.
You can change to PA and studio direct but I would the recommended settings good
On my hd500 and l3m and l3t.

Hi rowbi, what are the recommended settings if a DT25 is also in the mix? I understand Line6 recommend the DT25 be connected first in the L6link chain, but what should the HD500 have its global setting as, especially if both electric and acoustic sounds will be utilised via the DT25 and L2/3 respectively?

HD500 -> DT25 -> L2 or L3

Thanks in advance.

#25 Rowbi

Rowbi

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 8020 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

Hi rowbi, what are the recommended settings if a DT25 is also in the mix? I understand Line6 recommend the DT25 be connected first in the L6link chain, but what should the HD500 have its global setting as, especially if both electric and acoustic sounds will be utilised via the DT25 and L2/3 respectively?

HD500 -> DT25 -> L2 or L3

Thanks in advance.

I think the thing to remember is that it is possible to use a DT amp and l3/l2 speaker, but that all features may not work at their best. If you want to use a DT combo or head with open back cab the advice is to use combo power amp mode on the pod. That also means you can use an l3/2 speaker with the same mode.
If you use a closed back cab with a DT head, you would want stack power amp mode on the pod but that mode won't work best with an l3/2.
If you want to use acoustic guitar you'd want FRFR so using anything but studio direct output mode will slightly compromise the tone. I haven't played with the different l6link routing options in a while, but maybe there a way to have presets for elec guitar route to multiple DT and l2/3 speakers and other presets to output to only the l2/3 for acoustic guitar. Maybe still not ideal with the output mode.

The tools are there to be used however you like, but not every operation will work its best when you mix technologies. But I'm sure there will be a way to get it to be workable
Regards

Rowbi
www.rowbinet.co.uk

#26 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1089 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

I think the thing to remember is that it is possible to use a DT amp and l3/l2 speaker, but that all features may not work at their best. If you want to use a DT combo or head with open back cab the advice is to use combo power amp mode on the pod. That also means you can use an l3/2 speaker with the same mode.
If you use a closed back cab with a DT head, you would want stack power amp mode on the pod but that mode won't work best with an l3/2.
If you want to use acoustic guitar you'd want FRFR so using anything but studio direct output mode will slightly compromise the tone. I haven't played with the different l6link routing options in a while, but maybe there a way to have presets for elec guitar route to multiple DT and l2/3 speakers and other presets to output to only the l2/3 for acoustic guitar. Maybe still not ideal with the output mode.

The tools are there to be used however you like, but not every operation will work its best when you mix technologies. But I'm sure there will be a way to get it to be workable

Thanks Rowbi.  The technology in question is L6 LINK, and that is used by 3 currently supported Line 6 products - HD500, DTxx, and Stagesource speakers.   The problem with the scenario inquestion - although supported and documented by Line 6 - is that the HD500 only allows one OUTPUT mode at any one time.  If the HD500 could use different output modes for different outputs and even for different stereo channels (L or R) then full support would be possible. It would be possible using a JTV to have an electric guitar sound going to DT25 combo amp on the L channel with HD500 using combo power amp mode and at the same time have an acoustic guitar sound going to stagesource speaker on the R channel with HD500 using studio/direct mode.  Or it should be possible for the HD500 to swap between combo amp mode and studio/direct mode when patches swap between a DT25 and L2M speaker and MUTE the other when both connected via L6 LINK.  I think it should be possible for the L6 LINK code to do that in all the supported devices - they just need to write the code.   We can live in hope.    :)

#27 Rowbi

Rowbi

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 8020 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

I agree that the code is there and with some tweaking it could be made to work...
Have a think about this though: rather than thinking the output modes are an EQ filter, what if the output mode uses a different cab? So perhaps there's a version of each cab model for each output mode. If you want to run dual output modes you need more DSP.....
Just a guess, but I bet it's something along those lines, or some similar sort of factor that's made line 6 not want to do it.

Shame thou - it would be ace with dual output modes... Didn't the hd300/400 used to have dual modes?
Regards

Rowbi
www.rowbinet.co.uk

#28 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1089 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:47 AM

I agree that the code is there and with some tweaking it could be made to work...
Have a think about this though: rather than thinking the output modes are an EQ filter, what if the output mode uses a different cab? So perhaps there's a version of each cab model for each output mode. If you want to run dual output modes you need more DSP.....
Just a guess, but I bet it's something along those lines, or some similar sort of factor that's made line 6 not want to do it.

Shame thou - it would be ace with dual output modes... Didn't the hd300/400 used to have dual modes?

Yes - it is most likely to be DSP related.  I guess the OUTPUT mode is effectively a global EQ being applied at the end of the chain - so it would be like adding yet another fx block to each patch on each stereo path.  Actually, does the STUDIO/DIRECT mode add another EQ curve or is that the one mode that effectively does not manipulate the HD500 output?  But all the other output modes DO add an EQ curve?  If STUDIO/DIRECT does add a global EQ curve, then I wonder what things would sound like if it could be turned off to save DSP and allow global EQ to occur at the mixer or final destination of the signal? So, how about a NULL output mode?    

I have never used an HD300/400 so I don't know if they had dual modes.   But the X3L allows you to have the XLRs set differently to the 1/4 inch outs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hd500x, l2t, dreamrig, jtv69, settings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users