Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

connecting to amp

Zukifrog

First, you're gonna get different opinions on this. Here's my 2 cents:

1) 4CM only makes sense if you want the option of using your amp's pre-amp for your basic tone rather than the models. If you're only using the head for power, the 4cm does nothing for you other than getting a couple of extra unemployed cables off welfare.

2) Plugging straight into the front of the amp is a noisy mess. Your amp's tone stack will color everything the POD does. It's generally harder to dial in tones this way. Just go straight into the FX return, and be done with it. Life will be much easier.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Line 6 POD HD500x and a Mesa Boogie Mark IV. I play a Gibson Studio, Gibson P90 Midtown and a Fender Tele (see pic).

I play in a cover band. What is the BEST way to configure the two pieces of equipment? Sorry for the NUBIE question, I have looked all over the threads here and nothing really answers my questions.

Ideally i would like to set up amps and effects accurately to the bands i am covering. This means i would have to set up a patch for each song in my setlist on the POD (which i have no problem doing since i have the time to program EACH song in the setlist)

OR

simply get a nice generic tone consisting of the following: Clean, Overdriven clean, Rock n Roll type Distortion. Along the lines of Mike Campbell, Pete Thorn, Neil Schon, Kings of Leon etc.

I guess i can copy the patch to different presets and add effects pertain to the song as needed. I think this is the easier way but I'm a stickler for accuracy in my playing and in my sound... In other words... I DONT WANT TO BE PLAYING AN 80'S METAL TONE FOR HOTEL CALIFORNIA.

Sorry for the essay but if you guys have any ideas drop me a note. If anyone has any patches like the above mentioned can you direct me to them so i can try them out?

Thanks

Hickdood

What I would do (and actually do) is run one of the 1/4 outs into the fx return of the amp head. YMMV, but I run full models in studio/direct this way and it sounds fantastic through my Carvin 4x12 with Gt12-75s.

Just know that if you're trying this, start with the Pods master volume at 0. This Knob will control your overall output volume from your amp head.

You're going to find there are two schools of thought here for connecting output devices.  Those that want to continue using their existing amps on stage and those (like myself) that have abandoned using traditional amps and use direct connections to the PA and/or using a powered FRFR monitor as an output.  What AlexKenivel mentioned sounds like a reasonable way to connect to an amp and still take full advantage of the abilities of the Pod.

The one thing I would mention is in setting up your patches.  Ideally you'll have your amp available while you work on the patches as the sounds can vary greatly from what you would hear from headsets or other sources.  I try to make sure I have the same FRFR speaker at home when I'm working on patches so I don't get surprised when I go live with them.

Personally I have a basic set of patches for things like a clean tone, jazz, country, bluesy, crunchy, overdriven, etc. that I draw from and I tinker with them to create specific patches for each song we do.  I keep the patches I create for each song stored on my laptop and then pull them in for each show in the order we have in the set list.  Often I'll just copy an existing song patch that similar to another song we're doing, tweak it for the differences and save it under the new name.  That way they stay very consistent and it keeps all the patches less confusing to use because I only assign footswitches within the patch to things that will change in that particular song..like where a lead kicks in.  Otherwise the other effects for that patch in that particular song are always on.  I name and save the patch with the same name as the song so I have my own setlist right there on my Pod during a performance and just click through them one by one as we perform.  It's a little more work up front, but it really pays off when we're performing live as our setlists change week to week.  Just one way to approach things.

Good luck.