Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Knobs Position Patch Change Strategies?

toonsms

Hopefully this isn't a tired topic - certainly not meant to start a gripe session. Since the knobs are fixed position and adjusting knobs, switching to a new patch leaves the knobs out of sync with the physical position. You get used to it through use but for times like asjusting relative patch to patch volume levels you have to take care to turn the main down, then get a feel for the knob position. Then turn it back up and fine tune the relative volume to other patches.

One thing I do to make this easier is to only adjust the volume of one patch at a time and check it with others around it but only asjust the one so you don't lose the knob position and get surprised by any drastic volume difference when grabbing a knob which is drastically higher physically than the patch.

I have tried quickly tapping the knob to not change it but get a read on the positions of the patch. I haven't got a knaxk for that yet. Also wondering if there is acway of selecting that display in another way?

Any tips to manage knob positions?

P.s. I really prefer to efit right on the board rather than the librarian so I'll be comfortable tweaking in any situation.

Cheers.

I'm not totally sure I understand the question. As for the patch to patch volume, I've found not real easy solution other than just tweak them over time. I do like you a compare back and forth a good bit to try to keep them in relative volume. 

As for the knob position when moving from one patch to another to make the adjustment. On the POD itself there is a small dot on the display over the last saved knob position. So I move the knob down then back up to that position indicated by the dot and adjust up/down from there.

Ah, i missed that. Lousy eye.

It still doesn't help with case wher you have the knob up high and switch to patch with a lower volume. If you turn the volume knob it jumps to that volume. Hopefully you were prepared for it. If not it can be quite a shock. One thing i do is turn a different knob to get knob display to come up that isn't volume.

I do wish the screen stayed on the knob view longer.

Thanks for the tip!

I do wish the screen stayed on the knob view longer.

You can make the 'knob view' persist by selecting the Amp Edit page. Select the amp in the signal flow view and double-press the Enter button. You can do this before turning any knobs. Inspect the dot indicator to see the current value, compare to the knob's physical setting, and anticipate what the effect of turning a knob will be.

Press the View button when you want to return to the signal flow view.

It still doesn't help with case wher you have the knob up high and switch to patch with a lower volume. If you turn the volume knob it jumps to that volume. Hopefully you were prepared for it. If not it can be quite a shock. One thing i do is turn a different knob to get knob display to come up that isn't volume.

That's why I do a down movement with the volume knob (in fact all the way down very quickly) and then back up to where the dot is. Then I adjust. Still yea you can get huge volume hit if the physical knob was up high last, but turning it quickly negates most of it.