Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD 500 won't turn on PLEASE HELP

cowboysnate13

Hey! This is the first time I've posted on here, so hopefully I do it right lol. I have a POD HD 500 that I'm having issues with. I got it slightly used as a gift, so it doesn't have any warranty . I (relatively) recently broke the power input on it; the center pin pulled out with the power cable. I took it to a friend of mine so he could fix it for me, because I'm not great at soldering, and he got the new power jack installed, but it won't power up  :(. The soldering job looks kind of clean, but I really wouldn't know. Everything looks fine to me, except there's a little red thing on the inside of mine, next to the new power jack thats different from the one thats in the one that I borrowed until mine got fixed. Was hoping to get this figured out soon, its been broken for about a month and a half. If anyone can help me figure this out, please do!

I've attached a few pictures. The first is the little red thing I was talking about, in the working POD. The second picture, the little red thing, in the broken POD. As you can see, the one in the working POD significantly smaller than the one in the broken POD. The last picture was something that worried me about the soldering on the power jack. I don't think you can tell from the picture, but around each pole piece (or whatever you're supposed to solder on the replacement part) there is some black residue. I am really hoping the issue isn't here, because I'm pretty sure that means its ruined permanently. PLEASE HELP!!! :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

post-2222613-0-54571100-1448589431_thumb.jpg

post-2222613-0-30260500-1448589473_thumb.jpg

post-2222613-0-84087300-1448589498_thumb.jpg

As said above, it can probably be fixed. But minus a warranty, it might not be cost effective. And depending on your proximity to an authored service center (famed in song and story ;)), this can start to get expensive just shipping it back and forth. Plus, most of these repair shops have some kind of flat-fee diagnostic charge that you're responsible for if you elect not to do the repair. And in my experience, even the authorized places often don't have the part you need on hand...so there's gonna be extra wait time while they order whatever it is. If you send it back to the mother ship, you can probably skip this part I suppose, but the whole thing quickly becomes a real pain in the arse either way.

Grabbing another used one might be a better option. Hard to say without knowing exactly what needs to be replaced.

Lots of guys who bought a Helix are unloading their PODs...eBay is full of 'em.