Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 Headphone out?

nevla

I've owned my POD HD500 for years now, probably since about 6 months after it was released.

Never had any issues with it, gigged it regularly up until 2013.

I've just started using it again, and was having issues with the S/PDIF. Those aside, as I was trying to see what the issue was I tested the unit without any USB/SPDIF connections and discovered the headphone out wasn't working. Silence.

After panicking that the unit was knackered, I managed to get sound out of the Line out L/R sockets through headphones but the headphone jack itself was silent. You hear that slight static crackle when you plug headphones in, but no sound at all.

Is there any setting i need to check? I thought the headphones were hardwired to the master out? I rolled back the version to see if it was firmware (still nothing) and then put it back to the latest (2.62?)

It could be that the jack is just broken and I never noticed as I'd never used it before, which would be annoying.

Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions?

And I take it that it would be impossible to replace myselff?

Is there any setting i need to check? I thought the headphones were hardwired to the master out? I rolled back the version to see if it was firmware (still nothing) and then put it back to the latest (2.62?)

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

About the monitoring with headphones level. While connected via USB, open the Line 6 Audio MIDI Devices settings and check the level in the "input & recording" tab. It's at the bottom to the left.

When I record using a DAW I usually keep this level set low so that I'm hearing the DAW and not the Pod, since to my ears they mix if the monitor lever is at maximum. I keep it low so that when my DAW isn't open I am just able to hear the Pod. Also, I leave the Master volume knob at 50% I only turn to 100% when I want to listen to a recording at full pop.

I haven't checked to see if the headphone level is unaffected when not plugged in via USB. Maybe the level function is at maximum level when not plugged in via USB and is controlled by the Master volume knob.

I believe that as soon as you connect the device through USB, the computer L6 audio driver takes all the control over the POD hardware monitoring level sent back directly through USB (before the signal going into the DAW, being processed and sent back following the ASIO protocol), leaving the POD master volume controlling only the headphones or monitors output level..

as soon as you disconnect the POD form USB, it should automatically take back again its complete control, otherwise would be annoying since you should probably re-boot the device to solve the issue, or remember to turn up the hardware monitoring level before disconnecting..

Good explanation of that "H" Thanks for the input on this.