9 replies to this topic

#1 toasterdude

toasterdude

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

Well almost done in the pic. It was just awaiting final setup, back covers and truss rod covers when I took this crappy pic with my iphone. Coincidentally I was on sweetwater site today and saw a JTV59US for $4,899.

Ouch.

To get this baby was:

JTV59 donor $1300 from before prices went up.

Warmoth body $1155

Warmoth Neck $708

Custom shop P Rails $380

Labor and set up about $400

duncan triple shots $30

Total was $3,973 or $926 less. Plus I have a LP "copy" body and tyler designed pickups to mess around with.

When JTVs first came out I caught some slack for buying a perfectly good guitar only to rip it's guts out. On the other hand if someone had the bucks for a US model, all was good. . . .lol. If I am spending "big bucks", I would rather get exactly what I want, with neck specs that I love, scale length I prefer etc, and have enough left over to buy a used 69 off ebay! Heck if I sold the "gutless" 59 donor as a LP copy, and got 400- 500 for it I am close to having enough for a 59P goldtop.

9297053240_93b176a2f8.jpg
JTV-LP-Xplant by toasterdude, on Flickr

#2 toasterdude

toasterdude

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Oh yeah and mine is double bound with a bound neck. . . . lol. . .

#3 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11078 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

Excellent job, toasterdude. Looks great, and plays great too I'm sure. The reason I'm sure is that I did pretty much the same thing a few years ago - bought a donor Variax 300 and transplanted the guts into a Warmoth body/neck. It sill looks and plays great - but I rarely use it any more because I have a JTV-59. Even with the Korean build the 59 plays very well (not quite as well as the Warmoth) but the added features of the JTV have made it my go-to guitar. I still make a point of playing my Warmoth V300 sometimes, and every time I do I'm reminded of what an exceptional build it is.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#4 toasterdude

toasterdude

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Excellent job, toasterdude. Looks great, and plays great too I'm sure. The reason I'm sure is that I did pretty much the same thing a few years ago - bought a donor Variax 300 and transplanted the guts into a Warmoth body/neck. It sill looks and plays great - but I rarely use it any more because I have a JTV-59. Even with the Korean build the 59 plays very well (not quite as well as the Warmoth) but the added features of the JTV have made it my go-to guitar. I still make a point of playing my Warmoth V300 sometimes, and every time I do I'm reminded of what an exceptional build it is.

What body style warmoth? My old tele was a variax 500 xplant. Now has JTV guts from a 59, so I get the better playabity and JTV sounds. . .hopefully soon in "HD". . . .lol

7820286956_0a51733fd2.jpg
Untitled by toasterdude, on Flickr

#5 katiekerry

katiekerry

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

I admire your ability to transplant the JTV guts, But Its a unfair comparison a  USA model and a put together warmoth.  When you go to sell it you would get allot more for a USA variax than a warmoth.  I often see warmoth guitars online for sale for about a quarter of what they paid for it if they are lucky.  For most guitar players Warmoth is not a familiar name brand unlike Fender Gibson that retain their value more.  Also I am not sure if warmoth offers set neck guitars like the JTV59, I think they are all bolt on necks.  Which that amount is allot to pay for a bolt on neck guitar.  Just my 2 cents but very cool guitar..

JTV 59 Tobacco Burst

HD500

Alesis DM10 Studio

#6 toasterdude

toasterdude

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

I admire your ability to transplant the JTV guts, But Its a unfair comparison a  USA model and a put together warmoth.  When you go to sell it you would get allot more for a USA variax than a warmoth.  I often see warmoth guitars online for sale for about a quarter of what they paid for it if they are lucky.  For most guitar players Warmoth is not a familiar name brand unlike Fender Gibson that retain their value more.  Also I am not sure if warmoth offers set neck guitars like the JTV59, I think they are all bolt on necks.  Which that amount is allot to pay for a bolt on neck guitar.  Just my 2 cents but very cool guitar..

Depends when you sell it. If you sell it years from now, and there is next gen "guts" available, both will sell for a fraction of what they cost. I am not worried about resale value as I never plan on selling. If I was, I would not have gone with purple;-)

I always have that conversation with a co worker, he collects old gibsons as an investment but also plays. I say, I do the opposite, I get a guitar custom built for 4-5k and would be lucky to get 20% if I sell.

As far as set neck, that was a disadvantage of the JTV 59 for me. I have seen a few people post that didn't dig the fatter type neck. I didn't, and also prefer 25.5 scale, SS frets, 1 11/16 and compound radius. I have had that tele for about 6 years or so and am extremely happy with it's sustain. I am not sure there is a real advantage to set necks.

#7 toasterdude

toasterdude

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

BTW, a USA JTV69 is about 4k and is a bolt on. I have seen lots of threads about changing necks on the 69, strings falling off neck etc. Far from a great neck. Also the USA JTVs come with korean made pickups. Five grand is a lot to pay for a guitar with korean pickups. . ..lol.

#8 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

What body style warmoth? My old tele was a variax 500 xplant. Now has JTV guts from a 59, so I get the better playabity and JTV sounds. . .hopefully soon in "HD". . . .lol

7820286956_0a51733fd2.jpg
Untitled by toasterdude, on Flickr

I'd, KILLLLL for a tele variax.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#9 toasterdude

toasterdude

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

I'd, KILLLLL for a tele variax.

Well. . . . mine is tele shaped but not a very traditional tele. Gotta say though putting the p rails on bridge rail and models on tele bridge, one through one amp say a deluxe reverb and the other through say a Vox, Morgan or DR Z, with some slap and verb. . . . . .pretty dang cool.

I usually have the mags set to rail bridge and p90 neck for more country type tones. In the above I get a very cool twang sound, I have the model selector locked so when I switch to neck pickup, I get p90 neck on mags and still have tele bridge on models. Love it.

#10 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

Well. . . . mine is tele shaped but not a very traditional tele. Gotta say though putting the p rails on bridge rail and models on tele bridge, one through one amp say a deluxe reverb and the other through say a Vox, Morgan or DR Z, with some slap and verb. . . . . .pretty dang cool.

I usually have the mags set to rail bridge and p90 neck for more country type tones. In the above I get a very cool twang sound, I have the model selector locked so when I switch to neck pickup, I get p90 neck on mags and still have tele bridge on models. Love it.

I'd probably want a basic butterscotch tele with a maple neck:

http://www.guitarsan...asterri_003.jpg

I don't know why they don't have a tele JTV, I've seen so many tele transplants it's not even funny.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users