Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

latency: does using each external send/return loop add latency?

gtrnstuff

I believe that if you use them (thus undergoing a D/A conversion and A/D conversion) they will add 2-ish milliseconds of latency to sounds in those paths.

If delay compensation for these paths is included in the Helix, then enabling them may add to the total latency whether you use them in the preset or not. I don't know if that's the case.

If there is no delay compensation, then the most important thing to watch out for would probably be comb filtering from mixing the 2ms-delayed signal with the original.

It's very hard to notice added latency of 2ms, and depending on the circumstances, is often impossible for humans to detect. Whether the idea of it being there bothers you or not is another matter....

That's what I gathered.

From my own research, using my DAW and a "click" as test signal comparing direct path and signal path through various devices, I have discovered that I'm OK with latency up to about 5ms (including the devices and the audio interface) when playing guitar and listening through headphones.

More than 5ms, I feel it and get pretty annoyed. My hands and ears telling me different things.

Too many years of close mic'd amps with an analog monitor path.

So, if I try a Helix, I'll make sure it's a local dealer that accepts returns so I don't incur shipping costs.