Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Xotic Ep Booster as a tone enhancer

TheAlex2405

Hi guys !

I've read about the Xotic Ep Booster, and I'd like to use it as a general tone enhancer as it does it so well apparently. I've read excellent reviews saying that you just don't wanna turn it off.

Do you think it will sound good with the pod500x? If so, do I use it before the unit, in the loop (and where in the path), or after the pod?

Thanks !

From watching the video of it I'm not sure you couldn't achieve the same boost and sound with one of the several compressors included in the 500X.  At first hearing I'd say it's most similar to the Vetta comp as it has a fixed ratio that sounds similar.  It may take some playing around to get the tone you want, but I think you already have everything you need.

I actually am gonna buy the xotic ep booster, it sounds so awesome ! My question was where do I put it to work with the pod hd500x and enhance the sound?

Try putting it in the FX Loop and then in front of a Mod and/or Delay, after the mixer. I use the built in "Boost Comp" like that all the time. Of course you usually have to make adjustments such as turn the drive down and the output up. Also the FX Loop adjustments might need tweaking. I've also used it before the amp after a distortion pedal before too. Just depends on how it sounds, lol, if it sounds like crap you have to try something else.

So I'm guessing you left it constantly "on"?

Yeah, but eventually I figured that when I didn't have it there, I didn't know it was gone and probably just adjusted to compensate.

I left it at its lowest setting and had the original release, not one of the updates, and I adored it.

Should have called it a "more tone" knob.

Sometimes I use the build in parametric EQ to boost the signal of my strat.

I put it on the first place and leave all paramters as they are so that the sound is not much altered. Then I pull the gain knob all the way up - or only a bit, depending on the patch. This works well as a booster.

I was going to buy the duncan pickup booster but then decided not to do so. The parametrick Eq does the job for me.

• 4 years later...
51 minutes ago, weitzhandler said:

Hey guys, I wonder if there is anything close to the EP Booster in the POD go, can you think of something off your heads?

Thanks!

POD Go has something called "Kinky Boost" which is an EP Booster.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, weitzhandler said:

You're right, but I was hoping since you guys have experimented with the EP Booster and know what to expect, there might be something similar in the POD Go too, was just trying my luck. I'm sure the POD Go and the HD have a lot in common, no?

The EP Booster is based on the solid-state pre-amp circuit of the old EP-3 (Echoplex) tape echo.
The EP-3 model is available into the POD HD but you can't use just its pre-amp without the echo (at least in the POD HD, don't know about the POD GO)..

But there is also the EP-1 model (called tube echo in the POD HD) of which the pre-amp is instead tube based, and with this FX you can use just its pre-amp as a booster if you turn the MIX parameter down to zero thus excluding just the delay/echo effect, in this case even with the MIX at zero the pre-amp continues to work and very well.

I tried it, It's a nice booster, but not exactly the same as the one derived from the EP-3 (see Xotic) even if it belongs to the same family/brand.
Worth a try.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Thanks 1