Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Live Set up for Line 6 POD HD500x

Hickdood

I am  thinking of ways to use my Line 6 POD HD500x in a Live setting.

My plan is to split the foot switches.

Use 1-4: for the Clean effects. Chorus, Delay, Reverb etc.

Use 5-7: for the Distortion/Overdrive effects. i don't really need many foot switches for effects because i like my distortion/overdrive as pure as can be, so i only need 2 or 3 spaces for effects such as: Reverb, Solo Boost etc.

Footswitch 8: I can designate as an amp switcher to switch between my clean and my Distortion/Overdrive amps.

Does this make any sense to anyone (see Jpg)?

It sounds from your description of using FS8 that you may be thinking of using only one preset/patch for the whole performance. I think the simplest thing to do for a live setting is to use several different presets (patches) corresponding to your different songs or basic tone types.

I would set the FS Mode = ABCD (see Menu settings Page 1). That way the top row of footswitches (1-4) controls your FX and the bottom row is used to switch to the four available presets in the current bank (A-D, also numbered 5-8). If you prefer to use all 8 FS for FX you can use FS Mode = FS5-8, but it means you will have to use two presses of the footswitches to change presets.

Use different presets for your different amps - clean, crunch, overdrive, and/or whatever. In each preset, select your preferred FX (Comp, Dist, Chorus, Delay, Reverb,...) and assign any of them to the 4 available footswitches 1-4. Save the presets in the state in which you want them recalled (i.e. set each FX ON/OFF as desired).

Then, when playing live, you use the A-D footswitches to recall any one of the four presets in the current bank, and then FS1-4 to turn FX on/off during play. For more presets, use different banks to save/recall presets in groups of four.

You could use this strategy to prepare up to four presets per song/type. In other words you could dedicate Bank 1 (presets 1A through 1D) to clean tones. You could have different clean amps with a similar set of FX, or different clean amps with a somewhat different set of FX. Then dedicate Bank 2 (presets 2A through 2D) to different blues tones, with one of the being a fairly clean rhythm tone, another being a more crunchy rhythm tone, and one being a lead solo tone.

The possibilities are endless - it's a matter of finding what's right for you. But you'll find yourself severely limited if you try to use only one preset for the whole performance.

• Upvote 1

I do something similar. But I found this layout works well after trying a LOT of stuff.

loop                  modulation      short delay      verb1/mod2

comp/boost         dirt                long delay          verb 2

In the OPs application you could potentially use either the "loop" or "modulation" for the amp switching thing.

But everybody's different.

...It sounds from your description of using FS8 that you may be thinking of using only one preset/patch for the whole performance...

I currently use the FS ABCD mode for live cover gigs, but it means one has to be assigned for lead boost, or one less tone to quickly access. I'm thinking about changing to the all eight mode, like Hickdood describes so I can stop changing banks.

I guess I'm at the opposite end of how I use patches.  I use a different patch designed for every song so the guitar matches the specific style of the song.  But then I don't mind switching patches between songs since in many cases I'm swapping out guitars as well.  Plus our sets are determined in advance of every performance.

• Upvote 1

I guess I'm at the opposite end of how I use patches.  I use a different patch designed for every song so the guitar matches the specific style of the song.  But then I don't mind switching patches between songs since in many cases I'm swapping out guitars as well.  Plus our sets are determined in advance of every performance.

Depends on what kind of band you are in. 

30 years ago, I could design just a couple sounds for each band. One clean, one dirty. And maybe a take the dirty and make a couple variations of it, like adding a flanger or something. 

But today, I would never be able to survive like that. I don't do the same stuff I did then (different business model, not necessarily different music style). I am usually doing like you, one patch per song. Although, admittedly, there are some patches that are the same as others but are saved under each song name. That way, no matter what band I am in or what order we play songs, I can always recall the sound for THAT particular song. 

• Upvote 1