Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Plugging DI Out from guitar amp, into LINE INPUT jacks 13-16

HI

Im using the m20d mixer.

I need to free up some of the 1-12 XLR input jacks for my drummer.

My guitar amp has a DI Out.

Can I connect this to one of the four LINE INPUTS 13-16?  I have an XLR to 1/4 mono cable.

The problem I'm having, is that my stage icon preset that I loaded (Electric Amp Direct), will NOT allow me to reassign the input port to the desired 13-16.

The manual references the need for a "1/4 badge" icon in the preset...  which the ELEC AMP DIRECT preset does not have.

I don't really understand the reasons.,..  I just want to free the 1-12 inputs, as stated.

Is there a way to plug DI OUT from electric guitar amp, into 1 of the 4 LINE INPUTs 13-16 on the m20d, and have the stage icon pointed to the correct jack?

Thanks

Ryan

Them greedy drummers wanting too many channels ;-)

Some of the presets are only compatible with 1-12, typically because they have additional processing stages which the pared down 13-16 don't have.

There are alternative 13-16 compatible presets that you can use. As I assume most of the shaping you'll do will take place in your guitar amp prior to the DI output, there shouldn't be need of additional processing on the M20d. Plug in the 1/4" and select a new compatible preset.

Incidentally, you will be better to run your DI via an XLR to balanced TRS 1/4" jack rather than a mono TS 1/4", simply (and if for nothing else) less chance of interference.

Out of interest, what's your channel line up like? What have you got plugged in to what?

Yes, you are corrent, my guitar amp (and the front end effects I run to the amp) will be handled before the signal gets to the PA.  I'm wondering then if I need to set my guitar signal to a PLAIN INPUT PRESET, and not something that is preset???

Here is the plan setup

2 L3s subs & 2 L3m mains.  Likely Line6 Stagesource utilizing L6 cable daisy chain.

running out of the mains jacks obviously.

4 stage monitors (either the Stagesource L2m - via L6 daisy chain), or Im looking seriously at the ElectroVoice ELX 12".  $280 each.  vs $600 each for the L2m

So, running via L6 link, or out of the ABCD monitor outs.

1-12 Mic/Line inputs

1-6 for the drummer

7 lead vocal

8 back vocal

9 back vocal

10 back vocal

11 Guitar Combo amp direct out

12 Bass amp direct out

line inputs

13 Lead guitar Direct out

14 Keys L

15 Keys R

16 Acoustic Direct

SD Card inserted. (for recordings discussed, and for playing play lists during intermission)

USB to Ethernet to wifi router in order to connect iPad

Headphone plugged into jack.

We will probably use the footswitches too, just not sure yet.

This is our DESIGN, not all implemented yet.

I will say this.... this board is KILLER.  

Perfect addition to my high tech setup.  (I use a midi foot control to switch patches in Mainstage for all guitar effects in the set list).  Mainstage is loaded on a Macbook air, that I have mounted to my pedal board, screen looking up at me as would any guitar pedal.  Mainstage in turn, sends midi code to an external DMX lighting controller - where I have programmed an entire light show unique for every song in the set.  From my foot control, I can also que momentary strobe lights, fog, haze, etc.   It's bad asss.

Yikes... and I thought I made my setup over complicated!

A couple of observations...

Move 14 -> 13 Keys L

Move 15 -> 14 Keys R

You can only run a stereo pair into 13+14 OR 15+16 (or both) but you can't stereo pair between 14+15

I run my rig out for a ska band regularly (2 guitars, bass, drums 2x keys + 5 vocals) run out as:

1-> Lead Vox

2-> B Vox 1

3-> B Vox 2

4-> B Vox 3

5-> B Vox 4

6-> Lead Guitar

7-> Kick

8-> Snare

9-> o/head L

10-> o/head R

11-> 2nd Guitar

12-> Bass DI

13-> Keys 1 L

14-> Keys 1 R

15-> Keys 2 L

16-> Keys 2 R

Every now and then, I "guest" play one to three songs with them (I'm a sax player) at which point I move Bass DI to 16, run keys 2 in mono, and insert my sax into 12. At a pinch, if I needed to, I'd run Keys 1 in mono too, freeing up another line input. BUT as I mic guitar amps (not DI), moving them into 13-16 isn't an option.

If your guitars are modeller style then I'd see no issue putting them into 13-16 as you'd likely need nothing more complex than EQ for them. The only position I would question is Acoustic Direct but I can't advise on that one... not had to deal with an acoustic (apart from one I mic'd).

I'm assuming you're playing stadiums if your micing up a drum kit with 6 channels ;-) or is it that your drummer bought himself a swish drum mic kit and wants every bin lid he hits to be mic'd? Seriously, unless you are playing MASSIVE rooms, make life easier for yourself, use up 1-12 appropriately across the band then whatever's left, use for drums. Drop to 4 drum mics, put guitar and acoustic back into 1-12 and if the drummer doesn't like it, sabotage his mics!

Purely my opinion of course! ;-)

I have had good results using 4 mics on drums: 2 condensers in "recorderman" position, and two dynamics one on kick and the other on the side of the snare (pointing at the shell so it picks up the shell, snare and high hat).  As long as the drummer doesn't talk too much you get pretty good isolation and if the condensers are panned wide you get a stereo width that seems impossible with the mic positions.

If 4 mics was good enough for Led Zeppelin then it is good enough for our band, and 4 mics is dead easy to set up and break down again. 

• 3 weeks later...

Especially since all the guitars are going direct, you won't catch a lot of drums in your guitar channels.

4 vocal mics will sure pick up some drums though!

The more I learn about recording drums, the more I think that less is more.  Real drummers don't need to be mixed at the board, they mix on the kit!