Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it just me or do other people have trouble with microphonic noise from the powered cable when using the adapter and TRS jack cable to power the Variax?    Whenever the cable moves I get a kind of crackly noise.  It's not too much of a problem as I use the battery most of the time but the adapter is handy if I forget to recharge the battery.   I  thought at first I must have a faulty TRS cable so swapped it out for  a decent Planet Waves one.  But that was just the same.  I think the adapter I use came originally with an earlier Variax but it works fine with my JTV-59 apart from the cable noise. Have I been unlucky and need to try another cable or is this always an issue with this set up?  Thanks in advance.... 

Is it just me or do other people have trouble with microphonic noise from the powered cable when using the adapter and TRS jack cable to power the Variax?    Whenever the cable moves I get a kind of crackly noise.  It's not too much of a problem as I use the battery most of the time but the adapter is handy if I forget to recharge the battery.   I  thought at first I must have a faulty TRS cable so swapped it out for  a decent Planet Waves one.  But that was just the same.  I think the adapter I use came originally with an earlier Variax but it works fine with my JTV-59 apart from the cable noise. Have I been unlucky and need to try another cable or is this always an issue with this set up?  Thanks in advance.... 

Is the problem actually in the cable proper or at one or both jacks?  If it's the cable, it needs replacement.  If the problem happens when you rotate or wiggle the 1/4" plugs, try using a bit of NON-RESIDUE electronic cleaner.  Spray a bit on a rag or paper towel and wipe both plugs with a twisting motion.  Try it again.  If the problem persists, CAREFULLY shoot a small amount of cleaner into the jacks and run the plug in and out a dozen times or so to wipe the oxide clear.  Once again:  use NON-RESIDUE cleaner.  If you use lubricated control cleaner it will make an unholy mess.

Thanks, that's helped troubleshoot the problem.  I've realised it's not actually anything to do with the cable or jack plug themselves but the socket itself seem a little loose in the body.  The noise arises when the jack causes slight movement of the socket.  I'll try a general tighten up of anything I can get to and see how I get on.