Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Output Volume Drop

kts222555111000

Hi all

Just received my Helix :)

It is awesome in every way except one :(

After a few minutes of playing, regardless of which patch, the output volume just decreases by itself.

Sorry if this has been covered before but does anyone know what causes it and, more importantly, if it can be fixed?

Thanks to all who take the trouble to help and inform

I've noticed it sometimes too.  For me it was the volume pedal postion.  Helix defaults to pedal volume position at the time the patch was saved.  If you save a patch with the pedal position (if acting as a volume) at 100%, when recalled the volume will be at 100%.  The moment the pedal is bumped or a fly lands on it, the volume will then follow the pedal.

I believe the later software updates allows this behavior to change, keeping volume at the current pedal position, even when a patch is changed.  I am not sure where that is, Global settings I presume. 

Hello fido083

Thanks for your response but I have the latest firmware updated today. The problem isn't when I change patches. I can be playing the same patch from switching the unit on and after a few minutes the volume will just decrease with out me touching anything. It is reasonably consistent the way the fault happens everytime I start to use the Helix. Loud for a few minutes then it goes quieter.

Hello fido083

Thanks for your response but I have the latest firmware updated today. The problem isn't when I change patches. I can be playing the same patch from switching the unit on and after a few minutes the volume will just decrease with out me touching anything. It is reasonably consistent the way the fault happens everytime I start to use the Helix. Loud for a few minutes then it goes quieter.

Do you have any external expression pedals assigned to anything?

Hello fido083

Does this happen when going through headphones?  What are you playing the Helix into?  This issue sound a lot like what has happened to me with some powered speakers with main boards that started to go bad.  They worked fine for a little while and as they heated up the sound would just drop to almost nothing.

To add to my possible reason.... make sure there foot pedal is at max (full toe down).  I don't doubt you probably already tried that but sometimes I overlook the simplest things when I'm frustrated with something.

and when the vol drops, try a few sweeps of the foot pedal (volume pedal).

To HonestOpinion

Success!!!

I tried it through a guitar amp and there was no problem.

Went back to the desk and speakers and the problem resurfaced. Tried a different channel on the desk with the same settings and everything was fine so it was a faulty channel on the desk.

Many thanks for your suggestion. I had tried different cables and guitars but never thought of checking the desk.

So problem solved and I can go back to enjoying the Helix. With (or without) a variax guitar this is a very impressive unit. I sound like a better player overnight.