Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Controlled feedback

namklak

Players,

I'm looking for that magic moment of melodic feedback, which I always struggle finding.  And I'm not talking about the squeal of unpotted pickups, I want a note related to the one I'm playing.

For gigging I use the H&K GM36 and the HD500X as midi controller and input effects like wah, OD, EQ, etc - no amp modeling.  I play in a 7 piece so cranking my amp to 10 is not an answer for me - although I can play loud(ly).    I am using an SG with moderate gain SD pickups, and sometimes use an LP Special with stock P-90s.

On a side note, at band practice I use an old Digitech GNX3000 into a solid state power amp, and I can get that to feedback rather easily.  And that's at a fairly low volume.  Is it a natural compression in either the Digitech or the power amp?

Do I need a compressor in the chain?

I mostly use mild to moderate saturation, although I occasionally set the amp to mimic the Soldano buttery saturation.  So just cranking the gain isn't necessarily an answer.

Have any of you found some amps feedback better than others?

Help me Mr. Wizard?

There really is no simulated feedback in the HD. However, one thing you can try is using a pitch glide effect with the pitch set +1 octave and have the mix controlled by an expression pedal, from 0 to around 60 or 70 percent. Then when you want a note to sort of bloom in the higher frequencies, use the expression pedal. To add a little more flavor to its texture, ridding it of some sterility, add a phaser in there, perhaps tying the mix parameter to the same expression pedal. Compression for longer sustain would also help. The red comp I find is usually good for sustain, but it will also color the tone slightly.

Sorry, don't know anything about the Digitech GNX3000.

There really is no simulated feedback in the HD. However, one thing you can try is using a pitch glide effect with the pitch set +1 octave and have the mix controlled by an expression pedal, from 0 to around 60 or 70 percent. Then when you want a note to sort of bloom in the higher frequencies, use the expression pedal. To add a little more flavor to its texture, ridding it of some sterility, add a phaser in there, perhaps tying the mix parameter to the same expression pedal. Compression for longer sustain would also help. The red comp I find is usually good for sustain, but it will also color the tone slightly.

Sorry, don't know anything about the Digitech GNX3000.

I just found on YT a pedal by Fender called the Runaway Feedback pedal - in listening to the demo, it sounds like what you described - I'll try to give this a shot soon.

I just found on YT a pedal by Fender called the Runaway Feedback pedal - in listening to the demo, it sounds like what you described - I'll try to give this a shot soon.

Not quite the same as with a pitch glide. The runaway feedback pedal sounds like a more authentic type of feedback. Sometimes I got the impression of a sustainiac pickup in pedal form. Would be really cool if Line 6 made this effect for the HD, and Helix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwfLZp7gDCM

That controlled feedback is something I always reach for....

I'm a George Lynch, EVH, RandyRhodes, Carlos Santana fan....

Question: How are you trying to get that squeal?

Are you trying to make it scream? Or just hit a fretted not and make it ring forever?

I use pick, or "pinch" harmonics and get a lot of good squeals and feedback from the HD500 depending on the amp...

Use a little more gain, raise the presence a bit and the Mids...

Then, I guess the best way to explain it... Hit the string with the tip of the pick and the edge of your thumb at the same time...

Usually accompanied by a whole step bend...

I also have a digital delay set at 330 with the highs boosted, repeats or feedback set at 20, ( I want to hear three repeats with the first one starting at the top of my bend...!and the mix around 35....

And try hitting different spots in the string to get the right squeal...

Then also face the Speaker....

My picks are also sharp pointed tips for better precise attack and easy to pinch harmonic.....

As far as the single note feedback....

Carlos and Uncle Teddy would set up, walk around the stage hitting different notes till he found the areas the fed back and tape the floor there....

But again, gain settings, Mids presence and treble have slot to do with it....

So far I can feedback on the amp sims for 5150, Engl, 2204,Bogner, Mesa, most of the high gain Amps, believe it or not even Vox....

Face the speaker again helps

That controlled feedback is something I always reach for....

I'm a George Lynch, EVH, RandyRhodes, Carlos Santana fan....

Question: How are you trying to get that squeal?

Are you trying to make it scream? Or just hit a fretted not and make it ring forever?

I use pick, or "pinch" harmonics and get a lot of good squeals and feedback from the HD500 depending on the amp...

Use a little more gain, raise the presence a bit and the Mids...

Then, I guess the best way to explain it... Hit the string with the tip of the pick and the edge of your thumb at the same time...

Usually accompanied by a whole step bend...

I also have a digital delay set at 330 with the highs boosted, repeats or feedback set at 20, ( I want to hear three repeats with the first one starting at the top of my bend...!and the mix around 35....

And try hitting different spots in the string to get the right squeal...

Then also face the Speaker....

My picks are also sharp pointed tips for better precise attack and easy to pinch harmonic.....

As far as the single note feedback....

Carlos and Uncle Teddy would set up, walk around the stage hitting different notes till he found the areas the fed back and tape the floor there....

But again, gain settings, Mids presence and treble have slot to do with it....

So far I can feedback on the amp sims for 5150, Engl, 2204,Bogner, Mesa, most of the high gain Amps, believe it or not even Vox....

Face the speaker again helps

I get that squeal by a combination of factors. A lot of it comes from the actual play/pick mechanics, pretty much just like you described above, and I use the pitch glide as way to enhance the effect. Sometimes I'll just hit a note normally (at least what I think is normal, a lot of my playing habits are probably unconscious) and I use the pitch glide effect to give flavor to the note that pick dynamics cannot.

Take a listen to a couple of examples of exactly how I use it on my original songs:

Prime Vinculum, you can hear the effect start around 1:20 for a little bit, and then around 2:30 I use it again.

Jemsite Guitar Challenge July 2015, I use the effect subtly starting around 0:42, and throughout parts of the rest of the song.

As far a getting feedback for live playing, not an issue for me, since I never play live, at least currently, which is why I'd really love to be able to achieve authentic sounding simulated feedback, like that Fender pedal does. Never knew about that and it actually makes me think about getting one.

• Upvote 1

Turn it up until you get the actual feedback you want. Works for me!

I agree!!!! ( my next door neighbor in my apartment does not...)

If it's too loud you're too old!!!!

Coolest thing I ever did at a gig was walk out in the audience area with my wireless during sound check and REALLY hear my amp....

Amps sound so much better further away because they are meant too....

I loved it!!!!

I agree!!!! ( my next door neighbor in my apartment does not...)

If it's too loud you're too old!!!!

Coolest thing I ever did at a gig was walk out in the audience area with my wireless during sound check and REALLY hear my amp....

Amps sound so much better further away because they are meant too....

I loved it!!!!

Yeah I definitely agree with that last bit. I've got a nice long cable that I affix to the ground with duct tape for walking around and have noticed the same thing.

I have a korg Pandora px4d that has a feedback simulator and it's pretty fun.