Photo

Xd-v30l - About Versatility...

xd-v30l

Best Answer RonMarton , 30 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

...a couple of questions, I hope not too stupid...

Welcome aboard, MK !

Let me first tell you what we (on this forum) think really would be "stupid"...

...being too proud (or too shy) to ask questions.

After all, questions form a large part of how we learnt whatever we may be fortunate enough to know ...and one of the greatest joys of what we in audio do is that none of us ever stop learning.

Another is the blessing of actually being able to "repay" those who helped us get started by doing the same for others, so there really is no such thing as a "stupid question".

Enough of the "sermon", ...time for some "answers".  :rolleyes:

(In any case, I get the distinct feeling that your instincts already make you suspect the substance of the two responses that I'm about to post.)

1. In my experience, conventional lavalier mics (whoever makes them) are often a truly terrible choice for theatrical work and
  2. While it is indeed possible to connect a range of mics to a V30 beltpack via XLF to tip-sleeve jack ("guitar") plugs (for dynamic or separately battery-powered mics) and XLF to tip-ring-sleeve ("balanced" or "insert") jack plugs, (for some condenser mics, typically such as headworns) ...Line 6's more expensive TA4 socket equipped models (XD-V55, XD-V75) really would be a better choice if that's the flexibility we're seeking.  

Having said that, many of us who regularly mic up theatrical performers do so by "hiding" miniature "lavalier style" microphones in their costumes, hair and wigs, but not only are those mics specifically designed for that application, they're also almost invariably run via the more expensive types of beltpack that I mentioned ...and only partly because more than six wireless channels are nearly always needed anyway.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 macheath

macheath

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:31 AM

First of all, hello to everyone!

Let me give you a couple of questions, I hope not too stupid.  :)

1. In your experience these lavalier microphones work well for theatrical performances? I do not really like headsets...

2. What can I connect to the jack of the bodypack, in addition to the supplied lavalier? (I've read that you can connect a guitar ... but - for example - could you also connect a microphone like a common SM58 or SM57, using an JackTRS-XLR cable?)

Thank you!

MK

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:38 PM   Best Answer

...a couple of questions, I hope not too stupid...

Welcome aboard, MK !

Let me first tell you what we (on this forum) think really would be "stupid"...

...being too proud (or too shy) to ask questions.

After all, questions form a large part of how we learnt whatever we may be fortunate enough to know ...and one of the greatest joys of what we in audio do is that none of us ever stop learning.

Another is the blessing of actually being able to "repay" those who helped us get started by doing the same for others, so there really is no such thing as a "stupid question".

Enough of the "sermon", ...time for some "answers".  :rolleyes:

(In any case, I get the distinct feeling that your instincts already make you suspect the substance of the two responses that I'm about to post.)

1. In my experience, conventional lavalier mics (whoever makes them) are often a truly terrible choice for theatrical work and
  2. While it is indeed possible to connect a range of mics to a V30 beltpack via XLF to tip-sleeve jack ("guitar") plugs (for dynamic or separately battery-powered mics) and XLF to tip-ring-sleeve ("balanced" or "insert") jack plugs, (for some condenser mics, typically such as headworns) ...Line 6's more expensive TA4 socket equipped models (XD-V55, XD-V75) really would be a better choice if that's the flexibility we're seeking.  

Having said that, many of us who regularly mic up theatrical performers do so by "hiding" miniature "lavalier style" microphones in their costumes, hair and wigs, but not only are those mics specifically designed for that application, they're also almost invariably run via the more expensive types of beltpack that I mentioned ...and only partly because more than six wireless channels are nearly always needed anyway.

#3 macheath

macheath

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

thanks for your kind reply!

I'm only an actor and, usually, I just need my voice or - in some "difficult" situations - the help of some Bartlett TM125 (or Crown PCC160) mics.

In large productions where amplification is needed the work (and equipment rental) are obviously assigned to appropriate services and professionals!  ;)

I like, however, the idea of ​​owning a few tools that could save me, on the occasion of very small personal events.

One of these tools could be a wireless microphone.  :D

Maybe the XD-V55HS "Tan" is the right thing for me. (I admit to being always frightened by the fragility of these headsets :rolleyes: )

PS: You've probably figured out by my English that this is not my native language, so... Be patient!  ;)

#4 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

"macheat" ...Does that name arise from a computer, or "the Scottish play" by The Bard ?  :)

(BTW, your written English is far better than that from many native speakers !) 

...Maybe the XD-V55HS "Tan" is the right thing for me. (I admit to being always frightened by the fragility of these headsets :rolleyes: ...

That model would be a superb investment, in my opinion, ...as it's been my experience that anything of comparable ruggedness and performance costs at least double the price of a Line 6 XD-V55HS.

As to "fragility", ...in common with most headworns of this type, the Line 6 headset's armature has reaped the benefit of metalwork originally developed for the spectacle industry, (eye apparel, rather than the "spectacles" in which you have a role) because it's made from the eyeglass industry's special "bend and re-bend" alloy. That makes it much more durable than it looks.

The only note of "caution" that springs to my mind is that the mic itself is omnidirectional, which means it relies solely on its nearness to the mouth for gain before feedback from loudspeaker systems.

Some catalogs have incorrectly stated that it has a cardioid pickup pattern, which would be the better type to use whenever there's a need for loud foldback, such as for drummer vocalists and the like.

It's been our experience, however, that the XD-V55HS is superb for most speech applications, with only the quietest voices requiring care in locating speaker systems well downstage of them to avoid feedback.

Also, (having your exact application in mind) I've found NOTHING to match Line 6's brilliantly intuitive "Dynamic Filter" (selectable at the receiver) and "Speech Filter" (pre-settable equalisation in the belt-pack) systems, ...for under ten times the price.

Should additional funds become available, the beltpack's TA4 connector will allow you to also consider vastly more comfortable and unobtrusive options such as this http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1, as I implied in my first reply. 

(In evaluating what I say, it's probably handy for you to know that [despite the "Line 6 expert" tag] I've no affiliation with, nor any particular loyalty to Line 6 or any other supplier or manufacturer.)

#5 macheath

macheath

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:04 AM

Shame on me! I forgot an "h", but now I fixed... :ph34r:
I stole the character Macheath from the "Threepenny Opera" by Brecht

Your answer was very convincing, so I decided that I will invest some more money for the V55 ... In these cases, we say "who spends more, spend less" maybe it's a universal proverb (if you are very careful!) :D

The Samson SE50 seems to be a interesting addition. (It will take surgical tape for this? ;) )

this leads to another question: in the "famous German online shop" that I use sometimes, I found only the model Samson SE10 ... I could not find a real comparison between these two models ...

#6 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:08 AM

...I stole the character Macheath from the "Threepenny Opera" by Brecht...

Amazing ! (Berthold Brecht is one of my "all-time heroes".)

The Samson SE50 seems to be a interesting addition. (It will take surgical tape for this? ;) )

This leads to another question: in the "famous German online shop" that I use sometimes, I found only the model Samson SE10 ... I could not find a real comparison between these two models ...

It's surprising that Thomann don't yet have the "50" in their online catalog, but I'm sure they would add it on request. In any case, if Germany is indeed your "home" market, you can easily get one delivered from here:

http://www.amazon.de...rds=Samson se50.

The beauty of both the Samson SE10 and SE50 is that none of that "surgical tape" is ever needed.

My eight SE50s regularly do "acrobatic" duty feeding my eight Line 6 beltpacks on a huge variety of "performers", such as gymnastics instructors, aerobics instructors, (from slow Tai Chi to"crazy" Bikram) modern ballet choreographers and rugby referees.

Aside from being far cheaper than the Countryman, DPA or Røde "equivalents", the Samsons are the only headworns I've found that will stay in position under those conditions, ...without any help from Beiersdorf or Johnson & Johnson.

The main differences between the two models are

1. The improved "hydrophobic" coating on the SE50 that stops moisture from sticking to the boom and
  2. The SE50 comes in a light zip-up travel case, complete with additional screw-on adapters for almost every brand of beltpack on Earth.

That last point is really handy for performers like you, who might use their own radio beltpack at home, but need to use hired equipment "on the road", ...hired equipment that often only has big and ugly headset mics available, if any.

By the way, I don't know if it is truly "universal", ...but some form of the proverb that you mentioned definitely exists in all of the five languages that I (mostly) understand, so false economy must indeed be "fools' gold" in everybody's language. :blink:  

#7 macheath

macheath

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

:D

To tell the truth I'm Italian :-) but I often use that shop online!

you have been very kind and I have clarified my ideas ... I think the "my first wireless kit" will be this:

XD-V55HS Tan + TX55 Handheld + Samson SE50

(yes... i know i can use only one of those transmitters at a time... and i never spoken about an handled before... These are, extreme consequences of my previous speech on the versatility :-)

But today I want to abuse (metaphorically) to you and the forum with another small question - in a separate thread!  :rolleyes:

#8 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

In looking at your "separate thread", "Mack The Knife", ...I really admire your thinking !  :)

For your situation, I think that buying the particular "bargain" XD-V30 handheld kit you are considering would indeed be a GREAT idea, in that you would effectively be getting an SM 58 "sound-alike" handheld, (to use as an alternative to your XD-V55 beltpack, going to any one of the first six channels of your longer range and dynamic filter equipped V55 receiver) ...with a "spare" (albeit shorter range and plastic) receiver "arriving" (seemingly) at no extra charge.

It is worth noting that, with Line 6's digital technique, you can also operate both handheld and beltpack on the same frequency into just one receiver.

(I do this all the time to save mixer channels.)

Changing over (by simply switching one transmitter off and then switching the other on) is not only almost instant, but also (more importantly, perhaps ...and unlike analog systems) completely silent !

I would also strongly urge you to reserve some money in your budget for something like this http://www.thomann.d...mischpult_1.htm that you can "custom make" to protect your valuable collection, both from dust at home and damage "on the road".  

#9 macheath

macheath

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:16 AM

i made the order  ;)

now I have to do mouth-to-mouth to my wallet  :lol:

#10 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

...now I have to do mouth-to-mouth to my wallet  :lol:

Aargh !!!!  :blink:  :wacko:

...I wish the rest of us could say that WE had never done exactly that.  :lol:

Maybe it's all part of "suffering for the sake of art" ?

(That's my story, anyway ...and I'm sticking to it. Just don't tell the mother-in-law.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xd-v30l

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users