Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

spdif bit depth

rd2rk

My M-Audio Fast Track Pro defaults to 16 bit when I use the POD's SPDIF output. My DAW (Sonar Platinum) shows Audio Driver bit depth at 24 in Preferences, but it's greyed out (I'm asking about this on the Cakewalk forum, but if you know...).

Question 1: I was under the impression that the POD's SPDIF outputs at 24.Yes or No?

Question 2: After reading tech stuff about bit depth on the internet until my brain started to bleed, the consensus seems to be that yes, 16 vs 24 makes a difference, but it's only detectable by uber audiophiles with super human hearing. The main effect is on storage space required for recordings, and CD's are 16 bit. Opinions?

I personally don't worry about it.  The only time it would make a difference from my understanding is when the recording has a very wide dynamic range such as in the recording of an orchestra.  In typical recording situations of most modern music you're not likely to see any benefit, particularly given the additional storage and processing it requires.

As long as it sounds good to my ears and to people that play it, I'm good with it.  Especially given the garbage speakers and headphones most people use nowdays to listen to music.  It's just another one of those distractions that takes your focus away from doing the only thing that makes any real difference, actually getting better at playing and performing music.

Yes the POD outputs via SPDIF at 24 bits.

You should really use 24 bits. There's no reason not to. It gives the signal a lot more headroom.

But when you start talking about sample rate, 48KHz seems to be a sweet spot. The difference between 48 and 96 in sound quality isn't really all that dramatic, if at all.

Sadly, DunedinDragon is too right about people listening to music on crap equipment. Not even low end, but just crap. Don't cater to these people, they don't seem to know how to appreciate music.