Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tube Compression Help Needed

afedericojr

Good day,

Can someone please help me understand how to properly use the Tube Compression?

I am playing my HD500x into a Roland KC550 (A full range Keyboard Amplifier). The sound is great, but I am looking to get the articulation of my tube amps, where I can play soft with a smooth cleaner tone, and then get a blooming distortion under attack for nice harmonics, etc. Right now, the only way to simulate it is if I roll off the guitar pots volume to thin it out, and turn it up when playing heavier, but that is not practical for real dynamic playing.

I think I may be getting closer now that I am looking at the Threshold and Level in reverse....but any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

if you seek the maximum possible dynamics you have to stay away from any compressor in front of the amp, which by definition compress the dynamics and peaks .. ie tend to make them disappear ... but you can use them after the amp to level just the volume without affecting the amount of distortion response to your touch..

the most natural thing to do is to simply find a good setting of the amp drive/gain about where the sound is halfway between the clean and distorted when playing with a touch of medium power, and maybe with the guitar volume slightly lowered to have some margin to push even more the amp front end if/when needed, doing so everything depends as much as possible on the touch energy and a bit on the guitar volume..

PS.

to add (or subtract) more amp sensitivity to the touch dinamics you can tweak also the "sag, bias and bias x" amp dep parameters which are there mainly for this reason: ie to adjust the tube amp amount of distortion variation as a response to your touch

Thank you! Great thorough response. I will give this a try.