Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI Program Change on two units at a time

intellidjent

Don't know if it's ok to post in two threads (moderators, sorry), but will try my luck. 

Hello everyone, I'm quite new to the MIDI thing.

Say we have two PODs (X3 Pro and HD Pro) in a band and we want the DAW to change programs/presets automatically on both units.

From what I've learned I need two midi tracks in my DAW. One set to Channel 1 (X3 Pro), one set to Channel 2 (HD Pro). Corresponding channels are set in the System settings of both PODs.

The routing is the following: DAW (Logic Pro X) --> USB to midi cable --> X3 Pro midi in --> X3 Pro midi out --> HD Pro midi in.

Problem

Markers in midi track 1 (X3 Pro) do make changes on Pod X3, but markers in track 2 (HD Pro) do nothing. The only way it works is setting HD Pro to Channel 1 as well, but then changes are made simultaneously to the same preset (1A on both with program value set to 0, for instance), which is not quite usable.

Any ideas?

Further clarification:

OUT transmits only that unit's generated midi

THRU transmits both that unit's generated midi AND anything generated upstream

Thus, with my POD's OUT/THRU port set to THRU, my midi keyboard can be connected to the POD's IN, and at the DAW the kb midi plays a synth while the POD's pedals control guitar sims. You're coming the other way, but same theory.

Further clarification:

OUT transmits only that unit's generated midi

THRU transmits both that unit's generated midi AND anything generated upstream

Thus, with my POD's OUT/THRU port set to THRU, my midi keyboard can be connected to the POD's IN, and at the DAW the kb midi plays a synth while the POD's pedals control guitar sims. You're coming the other way, but same theory.

THRU is exactly what I use. Otherwise no switching on the second unit in the chain happens at all. The problem is that the value sent from the DAW to the first unit goes to the second as well making it a complete nightmare to program in case you need to switch only one unit at a time. Though they're set to different channels (x3 pro to ch. 1, hd pro to ch. 2) in correspondence with midi tracks in the DAW.

No matter what the MIDI stream sends all messages through the chain complete and intact for both channels, that's normal.  If the second unit on channel two (the PRO) isn't responding then there is either a problem with the PRO recognizing it's set to channel 2, or the message itself isn't formatted appropriately for channel 2.

The only other thing (although I can't see why it would make a difference) is if the PRO is configured as THRU also rather than OUT.  This would date back to the early days of MIDI operations in which you needed to have a terminator on your final leg.  This isn't typical nowdays, but maybe you have to somehow set the second unit's MIDI to OUT to ensure it's paying attention....just a guess...but probably a wrong one.