Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Demo'ed a DT25,very impressed,now gutted.

Old-Rocker

Hi,first post.Yesterday i tried a DT25 combo at the local dealer,i very,very,impressed,had never heard of the Amp & knew nothing about it,so with it being Line 6,i assumed it was all modelling/analogue/digital?(like my now sadly departed Cube 60's).

So i joined the forum to read & learn & to be encouraged,i now know it's an all valve Power amp stage,(GUTTED),it's taken me years to get out of using valve amps & i don't want to start again.

No point in this post,except i'm as a sick as a parrot,i just don't want to get back into valves,but i have never been so impressed with an Amp in a shop demo & i'm old & had lots of dems.

Graham.

Hi,Thanks for replying.

Use it in LVM - low volume mode - all the time and it effectively turns the valves off...

I don't think that will work for me,i only use an Amp for gigging,with Drums & Bass.

If you love it, don't ask too many questions.

I didn't say i loved it :) & i didn't ask any questions :) ,but i do get your point & you're probably right

The other way you can go is to try a hd500x line 6 and a L3t speaker system.... It's the perfect rig with no tubes

I have tried this with another Brand of multi FX/Modeler pedal,couldn't make it work (for me).

I would really like to make it work,but i just missed the sound of my Amps on stage,i also thought the sound from the pedal into our PA/Monitor system was not as good as my Cubes.

I'd like to add,i am curious why Line 6,with there commitment to modelling,designed a modeling amp with a Valve output stage,instead of modeling that too,i will say in argument to myself it did sound really good(in the shop),but i would settle for a bit less (though that may not be the case)to dispense with the hassle of Valves.

Line 6 has put out plenty of SS amp heads and combos but the idea of the DT series was to provide the tube power section that so many had been asking for to complement the HD500.  It was always marketed as part of the Dream Rig which combines the Variax guitars with the POD HD and the DT amp all linked with a digital connection.  It is a fantastic amp and offers a huge amount of flexibility.  It stands up quite well on its own too since it has the HD modeling built in and the M series reverb.

Interestingly, if you really liked how it sounded it is the exact same modeling that's in the POD HD500 line.  Maybe you should revisit it, there is a huge difference between modelers and the older ones simply aren't in the same league.

As to the comment about LVM turning off the tubes, not true at all.  There is no SS amp stage in the DT.  The tubes must be on and working to get any sound out.  All LVM does is use the full amp model instead of the preamp model to add some of the beef you may be losing at lower volumes.

Interestingly, if you really liked how it sounded it is the exact same modeling that's in the POD HD500 line.  Maybe you should revisit it, there is a huge difference between modelers and the older ones simply aren't in the same league.

Hi,radatats.I should clarify,when i printed the following:

I have tried this with another Brand of multi FX/Modeler pedal,couldn't make it work (for me).

I would really like to make it work,but i just missed the sound of my Amps on stage,i also thought the sound from the pedal into our PA/Monitor system was not as good as my Cubes.

The muiti-fx/Modeler i referred to was the latest generation Boss GT100,i had used 2 x Cube 60's(modelers)for about 10 years & been really happy with them,so i naturally went with GT,this is only my opinion of course,but i felt the GT amp models where not as convincing as the Cube models,which was older generation,so when i couldn't get a sound that i was happy with in any configuration,i put it down to the pedal format,i didn't consider a different brand(it can get expensive on a pension :rolleyes: ).

I'll have a poke around in the 500X section & see what's being said,time(unlike money) is no problem :) 

• Upvote 1

Be aware that with any modeling system, look at the potential to creat great sounds... Check it out on YouTube as well, after all the work I recently did, trying out every amp on this unit dry, I now challenge anyone that says they can't get the tone they want out of the hd500x...

There is a learning curve, it wasn't so hard for me because I've used line 6 for a while...

I love the LT3 because it sounds so increadable with no tube issues....

However, there are those that believe that tubes are the way to go... So for line 6 to offer both styles as a dream rig is very smart...

I didn't try the DT amp but I trust it sounds great... But the lt3 gives me SO much headroom, a mixer with two inputs, a RCA input for a audio input like my iPad or phone... I swear it has a built in crossover... Different built in modes from monitor to 2x12 and PA sounds depending on how it's set up, acoustic modeling, built in reverb and feedback elimitor...

It's great to have all of those options to be able to do anything....

Check out both...

Ps....

I love line 6, but I also love tubes...

I had a Marshall JVM410 and. Marshall 1960 cab and a pedal board....

One major issue, I use a delay set at 320 to 330 with three feedback sat a low level instead of reverb..

With my Marshall, as I went up in gain stages the delay disappeared... Set at parallel or in series effects loop, drove me nuts...

It looked AWESOME.... But with bad knees and a bD back hauling it was a nightmare...

I wanted something with four channels, and built in effects per channel...so I could set up effect per channel...

Then a company came up with an increadable setup.... (I'm Sorry Guys...) the Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister...

I must have gone back and forth to guitar center for months trying both out...

The deciding factor was the built in looper on the hd500x.... Which I have yet to figure out how to use..... Lol

And after getting it I'm glad I made the choice I did