Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-59 with a GK-3

I want to use my JTV-59 with the Roland GR-55 Synth, I would like to tap the Piezo pick-ups on the guitar and hardwire them to my Gk-3 instead of using the mag pick-ups.  I see that the bridge has a molex style connector, can I tap the wire to send signal to the GK=-3, or will I end up cutting my volume in half by doing so?

Please advise.

That's not a very practical plan.  Piezo pickups have far lower output than magnetics and should be connected to a very high input impedance.  The GK guitar modules have neither the necessary gain nor a particularly low input Z. You would need a hex preamp between the JTV pickups and the GK-3 to give that a chance of working correctly.  And, don't forget the need to filter out subsonic noise from the piezo units (a notorious cause of poor tracking from the GR-55).

If you really want to persist with this it's probably best to raise the issue on the VGuitar forums (http://www.vguitarforums.com).  A lot of very serious techies hang out there.  You'll get a lot of valuable, unfiltered advice.

It looks like there might be some type of amplification going on at the pickup, there are 8 wires , two look like power.  Each pickup has a mini transformer I think.  I am looking at someone else's picture and the angle is not perfect.  . . . and I will try Vguiitarforums.

• Upvote 1

In the Line 6 bridge?  No.  They simply bring out the hot lead from each piezo sensor, relying on mechanical contact between dissimilar metals for ground return.  This last point makes life rather interesting if you live in a humid environment and/or tend to perspire a lot when you play.

What snhirsch said.

Do you have a link to that photo?

Also GordenMack, be aware that if your JTV is under warranty, any function modification

would void that warranty. A number of things can go wrong. Some of it my be easy to do,

but it can also be easy to mess up. Please tread carefully.