Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 , Live PA and Inner Ear Monitors

GrampaBob

I've read a few threads about making patches with headphones that don't translate well to live PA situations.  I'm curious if anyone can comment how these HD Pods sound using inner ear wireless systems because essentially that is using headphones and live PA both at the same time.

This is the setup I'm trying for now, skip out carrying around big heavy amps and pedal boards from gig to gig, plus ditch the floor wedges.  Keep it compact.  I mean I would think whatever awesomeness I hear on the inner ears, should translate out the PA with a good mix.

using them to play is different than using them to create. 

There is nothing wrong with using either of them for playing. But when it comes to creating, you want to hear what it is going to sound like in the real world traveling through the air, not what it sounds like directly planted on your ears. 

• Upvote 1

using them to play is different than using them to create. 

There is nothing wrong with using either of them for playing. But when it comes to creating, you want to hear what it is going to sound like in the real world traveling through the air, not what it sounds like directly planted on your ears. 

Been using IEM monitors for a few years now and this is 100% accurate. Build your tones with the IEM out and hear how everyone else is going to hear it, then deal with the variances in the in-ears. IMO, I don't need a "perfect" tone in my ears to monitor whether I'm playing correctly or well, I just need to hear me. I could have a Boss HM-2 tone in my ears all night and not care as long as as I could hear me and the drums, because I know it will be tight. If you're dialing your tones to your in-ears, its probably not going to translate well to the FOH without a lot of EQ'ing at the board because you'll more than likely end up with too much bass and treble as most people who build tones in headphones end up doing.