Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD POD500 Playback device won't quit

george232

I am a new owner of a used POD HD500 and I am really enjoying it for synthesizer keyboard sounds. I have a problem that I could not find an answer to in the forums.

I have been having problems using two different USB sound devices. Neither of these is running off of a hub as recommended by Line 6. I am using a POD HD500 on Windows 7 32-bit and the problem began just after installing the full suite of 4.2.7.6 drivers via Line 6 Monkey. Maybe that isn't the problem, because it is intermittent and I suspect Windows is part of the problem. Before the upgrade I was able to use both a Lexicon Alpha sound card with its own ASIO driver for playback as well as the HD POD ASIO drivers for playback of a more expressive suite of sounds. I used a hardware switch to isolate all of the sound connections except the USB feed to each of the units.

The problem is playback on other applications suddenly have no sound at all after the HD POD500 is used. Even if the HD POD500 is turned off, trying to open a Windows application like Audacity result in a message like "The device is being used by another application - Please close the application". This message still appears even if the HD POD is turned off and disconnected from the computer. So either the connection is really on (doubtful since the HD POD device no longer shows in Windows control panel, or Windows is just having a snit because it doesn't know the connection has been turned off.

The only way surefire way I have found to make this problem go away is to reboot the computer, which is a royal PITA. The message appears to be a Windows memory conflict problem so I have been selectively disabling startup services each time I reboot. The last startup service that was disabled was Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. Whatever that is. So far the problem hasn't reared its ugly head. So maybe that was it. I would be interested in knowing if others are having this problem and how it was solved.