Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Mags volume know not working via 1/4 input

Hey guys,

Just got my JTV-69 and I've been playing with it constantly for the past 2 weeks! unfortunately I had a weird issue with my tone knob, no sound would come out of my Variax, rocked the knob back and forth had a bit of a crackle.... and now it works again!

However! Now I've noticed that I cant control the volume of the guitar when in standard pickups via 1/4, yet volume works with modeling and works with VDI for Magnetic/Modeling.

Any ideas that I can try will I just have to follow Line6 up!

Any Reply would be great,

Thanks!

Intermittent contact internally to the circuitry. Rocking the knob back and forth will just

loosen the chassis ground contact, adding to the intermittent and crackling.

It could be as simple as a loose retainer nut under the control knobs, or something

more deep in the circuitry that has to be troubleshooted by an Line 6 authorized

technician in your area.

Go into your Line 6 account, make sure your device is registered and log a ticket.

Hey guys,

Just got my JTV-69 and I've been playing with it constantly for the past 2 weeks! unfortunately I had a weird issue with my tone knob, no sound would come out of my Variax, rocked the knob back and forth had a bit of a crackle.... and now it works again!

However! Now I've noticed that I cant control the volume of the guitar when in standard pickups via 1/4, yet volume works with modeling and works with VDI for Magnetic/Modeling.

Any ideas that I can try will I just have to follow Line6 up!

Any Reply would be great,

Thanks!

Or its just a dirty pot...

0.47 seconds and 4.2 cents worth of plastic-safe contact cleaner could easily solve the problem. It's worth a shot, and is exceedingly unlikely to make anything worse.

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Plastic-Contact-Cleaner-Aerosol/dp/B000BXKZVA%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-d-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB000BXKZVA

cruisinon2,... normally I would agree with you.

But in this case, if he is able to rock it back and forth, then there is something else

going on that contact cleaner won't fix. Sounds like loose hardware contributing to

an intermittent chassis ground.

I've seen this malady and dealt with it before, that's why I know.

Otherwise,... good call, would've been might first suspicion too.

Oh, and plastic safe contact cleaner,.... couldn't hurt.

Carefully pull the Volume and Tone control knobs up and off, put some

plastic safe contact cleaner on a cotton swab, let a drop or two drip go

down the shaft into the inner workings.

Turn the pots back and forth a few times to work it in. Couple drops to each

shaft is all it needs.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the replies guys!

In the end I've just left it for now I did as suggested psarkissian however I think it may be a solder job!

I use VDI %80 of the time and magnetic Volume control works however!

If i started using 1/4 jack more though than I would action it however, living in Australia leaves me wanting to wait it off until the Line6/Yamaha thing as settled, I've noticed heaps of retailers how changed stock levels etc and that could also mean the repair centers will change but alas!