Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone-building for beginners

toolsquatch

OK, that explains why he gets phasing issues. The noise gate mixes L/R together to get the mono output. If you don't want to worry about phasing issues then you'll need to keep the L/R stereo pair all the way out to L/R amps and speakers.

I was just riffing with skyproclaimsit's patch, the one in the video, and It's kinda cool. I'm going into just my spider jam with the Pod's L mono output into the spiderjams aux input. The Pods mixer is panned hard L & R and when I switch off the noise gate I get a boost and a change in the tone. Neat idea I never really thought about using the noise gate as a boost mechanism, lol.

.........and hence, why there is no one 'correct' way for obtaining your tone. My first reaction is that you can get 'analysis paralysis' just because of the number of permutations/combinations the POD is capable of. I'm still overwhelmed but because of the great community on this forum and all the help that's available you can take it one step at a time. Knowledge is additive. You start out with a little, take time to digest and understand it, then add some more and repeat. After all, if you wanted to eat an elephant, you wouldn't expect to swallow it whole, would you?

• Upvote 1

TBone has it right. The rabbit hole can get quite deep, which is good when you want it but a MF when you are starting out.

I like to look at the HD like a virtual setup. Start with an amp in the chain (like you would in real life) and slowly build up from there. When you built a pedal board you didn't just toss random pedals velcro'd all over.

BBQ elephant ribs!

-B

A little update: I'm starting to get the hang of it! I never used an overdrive in the past (always used stompboxes for all of my distortion needs in the past), so getting familiar with the tone-tightening capabilities of the screamer along with some parametric EQ tricks that I saw in this video helped me start getting what I wanted from my amps with 3 of them tamed thus far (the treadplate, 5150 and either the Bomber or the F-Ball).

Next step will be experimenting with the Remastered Marshall and the Orange, seeing what kind of rock/stoner tones I can conjure up. Oh, and on the note of that: what's the best way to run fuzz pedals, should I be seeking a cleaner amp and let the pedal do the talking or combining the dirty channel with it?

You can either use it with or without a distorted amp. Depends which distortion you prefer more, just make sure that you will use a bit of one, and a bit more of the other!. what i observed is that i like to cut up to 100-120 hz from the fuzz, and it sounds awesome!!

• Upvote 2