Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Headphones HD500(x)

nicjw

Hello

I'm a big fan of my HD500x combined with a L2M as a floormonitor for live use.

I would like to buy a headphone for initial patchbuilding at home. I would like a very transparant headphone within my price range.

At this moment i have got two options

1. Beyerdynamic DT990 (open back)

2. AKG K612 (open back)

Which one would you advice? Someone who has experience with one of both? Or does somebody know a beter headphone within that price range?

You could save money and get the 770's which would just as good IMO and I have the 990's. I don't know 'bout the AKG's, they're probably good though. Heck, I still use Bose AE headphones 32ohm and they kick too.

The 770 and 990 sell for the same price in the Netherlands, so that wont be an issue. Soundwise I think i prefer an open back model, due to the bass respons everybody is talking about... Dont know if that is true

I prefer open back. Feels like there's less reverberation within the ear cavity - the reflections can escape - so the sound you hear in the phones is closer to the sound you'll hear from FRFR monitors/speakers. Better for tone shaping imho.

Hello

I'm a big fan of my HD500x combined with a L2M as a floormonitor for live use.

I would like to buy a headphone for initial patchbuilding at home. I would like a very transparant headphone within my price range.

At this moment i have got two options

1. Beyerdynamic DT990 (open back)

2. AKG K612 (open back)

Which one would you advice? Someone who has experience with one of both? Or does somebody know a beter headphone within that price range?

I've been using AKG 240S for years. They call them "semi-open back"...it's a fine line I guess. In appearance anyway, they're not drastically different from their "full open back" cans. I've used both, and don't know if I'd notice a difference blindfolded. Closed back I don't like, as most of them seem to accentuate the bottom a end too much, which isn't very helpful for patch creation.

Anyway, I love them. I only notice subtle differences in tone between these and what the patches sounds like through my L2T, so they're quite useful for tweaking stuff late at night. They're usually in the neighborhood of $100, and the cord is replaceable which is nice, as that's usually what gets destroyed first, long before the cones themselves would go.

no midrange. Any other suggestions?

The 990's description depicts the lack of mids. You didn't try the 770's? some others? How are you trying the headphones, at a store? or are you buying them and returning them.

No stores in the area, so i have to buy and return them! No problem for the shop where i buy them. Just need openbacked and flat headphones

Well my 2 cents is just a few posts north of this one, but anything that's billed as "studio" or "studio monitor" headphones should give you a reasonably flat response. Just stay away from anything that says "Dr. Dre" on it, and you should be fine...;)

No stores in the area, so i have to buy and return them! No problem for the shop where i buy them. Just need openbacked and flat headphones

I understand and would think most stores would be short on variety these days.

Well my 2 cents is just a few posts north of this one, but anything that's billed as "studio" or "studio monitor" headphones should give you a reasonably flat response. Just stay away from anything that says "Dr. Dre" on it, and you should be fine... ;)

Good 2 cents worth. Look for flat, and I think linear is also another way of saying flat.

I've tried the Beyerdynamic DT990, the AKG K240 MKII and the AKG K612. I decided to go with the AKG 612. The 990 lacks some mids, the AKG K240 adds to much low end. The 612 is perfect! It translates the sound i'm hearing through my headphones perfectly to my L2M stagesource speaker i use for live monitoring. Even at higher stagevolumes.