Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A guide into USB recording with a Line 6 POD HD500X ?

Astirith

I don't really have a lot of experience into using multiple-paradigm fx processors and at most i've been exposed to simple stompboxes i bought the POD HD500X with the intention of using it as a recording interface as well.

I have a line 6 Spider IV 75 watt amp and a Dean VMNTX - but that's mostly it and i've just gotten to using the unit as a recording interface i just want to get everything configured atleast so right now i have no particular recording software or anything installed i just use the windows sound recorder :P 

After struggling quite a bit i managed to configure the signals and everything so my computer can pick up the signals from the POD - but the problem is.

I need the POD simply to pick up the signal from the amp as it is - my amp is set to a high gain modern metal setting and it sounds flawless when played through it - but the POD just doesn't record the amp. Infact what's recorded is simply played back without any distortion or anything it's just bland sound. 

I'm completely new to this - so i was hoping whether there was some sort of resource out there a video tutorial to help me get things set. Basically what i want for the POD to do is is record the signal exactly as it sounds through the amp.

All i have is the USB cable, Guitar Cable , My Guitar , The Amp and the POD HD500X so is there anything i can do ?

I'm uploading an example of what it sounds like when recorded - it's absolutely unlike what i hear through the amp.

The POD can only send to the computer the signal that is passing through it. Hence the sound from your external amp must be routed to/through the POD. That can be accomplished by using the POD's microphone input and placing a mic in front of the amp to capture its sound. Is that what you are doing?

In your current setup, are you connecting your guitar to the POD or directly to the amp? If the POD, you will also need to be careful about creating feedback in the POD. Use a dual path preset with no mixing of the signals in the two paths.