Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

EQ in the effects loop?

bsheen

Had an idea...anyone ever tried an external EQ in the effects loop with the loop "block" placed after the amp to roll the highs off?

I know its been mentioned that using the global eq rolls off the highs of everything, including effects, and using some of the on-board eqs color the sound.  Just thought this might be a work around to get rid of the unwanted freqs above 10khz since there is not one on the cab section?  Well at least that's where I set mine.

I think you have to get someone to move it. Not sure who can do that. Maybe one of the Line 6 Experts roaming around. Or I see threads moved occasionally, so someone might see it and just move it.

Anything above 10Khz is what I find myself cutting often also. Sometimes I might go to 8Khz. Depends somewhat on the cab and mic being used.

Anything above 10Khz is what I find myself cutting often also. Sometimes I might go to 8Khz. Depends somewhat on the cab and mic being used.

It makes a huge difference!  I was totally thrilled when they added it to the HD.  Though having that feature in the cab section would be even better.

I do it.

I put the fxloop after the mixer block and use send/return to link the HD500x to an MXR 10 band eq.

Why I don't use one of the hd500x eq? Well, because I need more band than what HD has to offer.

HD500x does not have a 10 band EQ for example.

Sure, if you only need a low pass filter to kill high freq, you can use a parametric EQ or a vintage-pre or the global EQ but, if you want a better control, an external EQ is not a bad idea IMO and that's why the fxloop exists, to expand the HD500x capabilities with external gear.

I'm not sure what the advantage would be given how simple it is to solve this with the GEQ.  Why add another point of failure along with additional complexity in your setup?

The global EQ to my knowledge affects the entire signal path, so you'd be cutting(in this case) all the delays, reverbs etc. that are after the amp.  I'd like to be able to cut just the highs on the cabinet, then let everything else "breath" if you will.

The global EQ to my knowledge affects the entire signal path, so you'd be cutting(in this case) all the delays, reverbs etc. that are after the amp.  I'd like to be able to cut just the highs on the cabinet, then let everything else "breath" if you will.

That's interesting. I wonder if effects like delays and reverbs produce frequencies beyond what is put into them?