Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Your Helix speaker hardware

damonwaller

I have the higher end set of these in a 4 inch speaker and it doesn't sound that great to me

Are you talking the VXT series over the Rokkit? These are Rokkit 5 speakers. The are ok for playing the Helix but seem to color the sound a little so if you are doing serious recording they are probably not the solution. I have never heard the VXT series. The Ultimate Support stands I have them on made a pretty big difference. The isolation they offer (each has some sand in the or weight and sound isolation) really helped them a lot. If someone just wants a decent set of monitors for Helix playing in the home they are ok. I probably would not recommend them if you are into serious recording and I am sure there are other budget models that might do a better job. One big lus in my case is they seem to be pretty close sonically to,our sound system at church so I can make my patches and do very little if any tweaking when I use it there.

I should add that if someone can't tell from my comments above the KRK Rokkit series is very sensitive to speaker placement and also what they are placed on. I think they absolutely need t,be on either a sound pad or legs like the design of the ultimate stands. Never set them on carpet, hardwood or floors. They will sound horrible.

I have the higher end set of these in a 4 inch speaker and it doesn't sound that great to me

Are you talking the VXT series over the Rokkit? These are Rokkit 5 speakers. The are ok for playing the Helix but seem to color the sound a little so if you are doing serious recording they are probably not the solution. I have never heard the VXT series. The Ultimate Support stands I have them on made a pretty big difference. The isolation they offer (each has some sand in the or weight and sound isolation) really helped them a lot. If someone just wants a decent set of monitors for Helix playing in the home they are ok. I probably would not recommend them if you are into serious recording and I am sure there are other budget models that might do a better job. One big lus in my case is they seem to be pretty close sonically to,our sound system at church so I can make my patches and do very little if any tweaking when I use it there.

I should add that if someone can't tell from my comments above the KRK Rokkit series is very sensitive to speaker placement and also what they are placed on. I think they absolutely need t,be on either a sound pad or legs like the design of the ultimate stands. Never set them on carpet, hardwood or floors. They will sound horrible.

Thanks for the tips on speaker placement BigRalphN. I also have the KRK Rokkit 4 speakers and although they are just fine for studio work ultimately I think the small size of the speakers is less than optimal for guitar sound reproduction.  They are adequate for monitoring while recording a tune but I don't expect them to do justice to the Helix as a guitar amp/cab substitute.

Thanks for the tips on speaker placement BigRalphN. I also have the KRK Rokkit 4 speakers and although they are just fine for studio work ultimately I think the small size of the speakers is less than optimal for guitar sound reproduction.  They are adequate for monitoring while recording a tune but I don't expect them to do justice to the Helix as a guitar amp/cab substitute.

Definitely not. I go direct for live stuff. The KRK are fine for bedroom jamming.

At home I use Yamaha MSP5 or HS8 monitors.  Both work well, but tend to be on the brighter/crispier side.  Others I think are really good for the money are M-Audio or Mackie 5-inchers.  I find playing through the 8 inch monitors feels a little better than the 5 inch. Just slightly though and might not be worth the extra cost for most people.

When I'm doing in store demos with Helix the QSC K10 or K12 are my go-to speakers.  I know I can find them everywhere and Im used to the way they sound.  Other common ones I think sound very usable are the Alto 110s (surprised me too)

My favorite I've used live are the Mackie HD1221.  If its good enough for Devin Townsend I figure its good enough for me.  

It's hard to find the L3 speakers out in the retail world nowadays, but that was an awesome sounding speaker for amp modelers too (in flat response mode).

I really like the L2 and L3 speakers from Line 6. I currently have three L2 speakers, two for vocal monitors and one for my HD500 (soon to be upgraded to Helix). Our keyboard players uses an L3 for his keys and swears that there is nothing better sounding on the market. Our bass player is going to be switching to an L3 with my old HD500 for the SVT model.

If you have not gotten chance to hear them perform, do it!

-Max

I play guitar and bass and have gear for both, as well as a couple of JBL EON's.  

I started with Helix through a pair of JBL EON 515XT's which sounded good.  Not exactly what's coming out of the Helix headphone jack to my Sennheiser HD 280's, but good.  The JBL's have a treble and bass control which help.  Loud as heck too.

Helix through each of my Mesa Mark V, Stiletto Deuce II, Triaxis, 2:90 power amp, and 20/20 power amp into a Recto 2x12 (4CM with the heads/preamps and direct with the power amps) sound great, but it's somewhat limited to electric guitar sounds.  The 2x12 has v30's and I think Mesa Black Shadows or something else brighter would help.  I'm wondering if a retrofitting a stereo guitar cab with 12" coax speakers with tweeters would sound good.  Maybe one of the speaker companies will come out with a 12" FRFR coax guitar speaker targeted to modeller rig retrofits.

I tried Helix in the effects return of my old Peavey Transformer 112 (for the heck of it since it was out) which sounded surprisingly good.  Cool thing about that amp is it's all analog component modelling of preamps and power amps and cab sims (not digital software), only digital control, controllable via midi.  The power amp and cab sim configuration changes with the amp models (controlled a front dial), setting it to  "Clean" bypasses amp/cab sim circuits.  So even with Helix in the effects return, I could still get different amp/cab sounds from the Peavey side and save them to Helix presets.   I think the Peavey Blue Marvel speaker is intended to be pretty neutral tone wise.  It is only 50W solid state and open back, but good for a grab and go jam. Maybe the old Peavey Bandits would be okay too since they are Transtube tech also.

I'm actually kinda diggin' Helix into the effects return of my Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12 4ohm 350W.  I wouldn't say it's pure FRFR bliss.  The passive radiator makes it a little bassy, but a little Helix global eq tunes it pretty well.  The adjustable tweeter level and frequency on the Mesa bass cab is helpful too.  Good acoustic and bass guitar sound and feel through that cab with (and without) Helix though. 4CM to that setup with electric, bass, and acoustic might be interesting.  It's also nice to have a little Mesa in the mix.

I have a Mesa M9 Carbine and 2x12 bass cab.  I'll probably dig that out and hook it up next.  

I have a Marshall EL34 100/100 hand JMP-1, but haven't dug them out yet to try it.  

Also have an old Crate Powerblock stereo guitar amp (75Wx2 digital I think) that may not be bad.  

A hybrid rig with the Mark V mounted back in its 1x12 combo and the Walkabout 1x12 bass amp might be really cool too, especially with Helix's dual path and I/O capabilities.

My young son gets a little jealous when I start playing "rockin' guitar" without him, so testing and research time is a little limited ;)

Here are my two rig examples... I run everything in MONO to the P.A.

One rig uses a Power Station Amplifier and two 12" guitar cabs for stage monitoring and the other uses two Alto TS110A Powered monitors for stage monitoring.

Both feed the PA from the XLR MONO (in the first example the guitar cab can be mic'd as well)

helix_rig4_lg.jpg

I have two Banks with different output configurations...

In Rig 1, I use Amp models to feed the Power Station via the 1/4" output and then Y split to another path with an IR to feed the XLR output

In Rig 2, I use Amp models to feed an IR which feeds both the XLR and 1/4" outputs... (no Y split required)

Please let me know if you have any questions

seeya

Joe

Thanks for the reply. I never considered the PP2+. I actually own one already, I'd just have to remove it from my existing board. I wish it had a courtesy outlet and a 500ma tap. But it will work. If I change my mind I'll hit you up. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I was using some Rockit 8's but sold those and am now running Helix into a pair of QSC12 PA speakers.  The primary purpose of these is for my band's PA but I decided to "kill two birds with one stone".  Pricey speakers but they sound great.

• 1 year later...

It is a Fret-King Green Label (now called STVDIO series also) Ventura 60 in Laguna Blue. The Green labels are limited run hand crafted in Trev Wilkinsons shop in the UK. Fantastic quality. They are actually cheaper than most custom shop guitars. The only company that may be cheaper are Carbon, but they are only cheaper if you do not get custom woods and tops.

This color has been gone on this model (in the Green line) for awhile. This is the actual guitar pictured in the brochures when the line was first brought to the US. I helped at a shop that was one of the first Fret King/Vintage (Vintage is the brand name..sort of Fret Kings Squire but much better quality) US dealers. Maybe the first. The rep had two green labels from the brochure (the only ones in the US at that time)and the shop owner took both. This was the owners personal guitar. I was there for the unboxing. He played it twice then packed it away hoping it would become collectible. A couple years ago he had to close the shop. He asked me if there was anything I wanted to purchase before he put what was left in storage. I got this one for a steal. He gave me going out of business and friend pricing. I know. TMI

I've been using a QSC K8 for many years, and it's served me well through an XT Live, HD500, and now Helix. It's loud enough to cut through in the pop/rock bands I've played in. I've never played with very loud drummers, but also have never even approached the K8's limits - not sure where its limits are.

I have a couple of K8's too. They reasonably kept up with the Dual Recto full stack used by a guy I used to play with.  When i'm willing to run in mono, my CLR gets the call.  Loud as **** and clear as most studio monitors.  Speaking of studio monitors, when playing at home (most of my playing these days), my Equator Q8s are great.

That said, when my last band was gigging regularly (pre-Helix), I just ran direct and just get enough of myself in my monitor mix.