Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dropped My X3 Live... Will A Reset Fix It?

Ludie

I have my X3 Live mounted to a Pedaltrain PT-2 (I think); the one that comes with the metal attache case.   The case is padded, but not very much; maybe a half inch or less.   While loading in, it fell off my cart onto the concrete walkway... about 18 inches or so.  Nothing appeared to be broken and there weren't even any marks on the case.  Set up for the gig and plugged it up. Everything worked fine, except the footswitches for the Stomp, Mod, & Delay.  Stepping on those switches does nothing.  I can go down to the control panel and turn them on and off, but that is quite a pain during live perfromance.   Would a reset/reflash/whatever fix it?   All the other switches on the top row work fine.   I don't have the money to get it fixed if repair is the way to go, so I'll have to figure something out.  Thanx

It's highly unlikely that a reset will fix it. I imagine that the internals just need re-aligned to the switch actuators. I can't endorse opening it if you aren't comfortable with the risk... but I don't imagine that this is a highly skilled technician kind of job.... of course that's just my opinion.

Well, I updated and reflashed via Monkey and nothin.      I guess I can tear it apart.   I repaired my AX2 floorboard numerous times,  even at a gig.   Let me do some more searching.   I think I saw a site that showed how to replace the switches with real ones....  that should tell me if I need to be extremely careful of anything.   Thanx.

Well, I saw a video showing how to take it apart and what to expect.   To me, as simple as the AX2 Floorboard.    The upper circuit board had popped off the plastic support/lock things.   Pushed it back on; still didn't work.   Took the board off and noticed that a few of the springs and little plastic plunger things were gone.   Searched around the case and cover; found all plungers and all springs, but one.   Since I don't have the money to take it to a shop, I made a spring out of a single strand of MIDI cable...  no, it's not perfect, but works.   I put it on the Compressor/Boost switch that I don't use much.  I'll have to see if I can get some spare springs and plungers from Line6.   Hopefully, if I don't drop it again, it will work fine until I get a job.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you learn something new every day.  Set everything up tonight to do some last minute tweaking and rehearsal before a gig tomorrow night.  The X3 has been in its case since I fixed it and has been treated very gently.   Well, things, once again, weren't working right; the same as before I "fixed" it.   Opened up the case and discovered that the goop they used to lock the top board to prongs had come off when I took the board off.  The prongs appeared to click, so I didn't worry about it.  Now, I have lost a couple of springs and plungers...  I know they are down there somewhere, but can't find them.  Found a few, but not all.  So, I guess my new question is...   what is this goop they use?   Hot glue?  Gorilla glue?  Loc-Tite (blue)?  I'm going to fix the buttons I use the most and forget the rest until I can get some parts from Line 6, so it will have to be strong enough to hold it for the gig tomorrow/today rather, and then come off so I can replace the parts when I get them.   Just curious what I can do to make sure it stays together so I can get through the gig.   I guess I could take my big pedal board, but the X3 fits this particular venue, which is very small.   Thanx.

L

Since I need to replace some plungers and a spring, I was scared to put any sort of goop on the circuit board.   I replaced all the plungers I found...  two were still missing.  I found two screws that I kept when I had some Radio Shack 1/4" phone plugs and wanted to solder instead of screw on.  I put a piece of black tap on the heads in case they would come into contact with the circuit board.  Put it all back together and then used electrical tape to hold it to the chassis.  It worked great....  until the middle of the 1st set.  The original goop on the circuit board, near the ribbon cable connector, didn't come off easy, so I left it.  Well, the footswitches on that side, are the ones that failed.  Could not get them to come on.  I had to reach down and edit on the board to turn things on and off.    Since I won't need it again until September, and I'm still out of work, I'm going to take it apart again, but this time after securing the circuit board, I'm going to put some foam in there to support it.  I have some I ordered for my speaker cabinet that I've not installed.  It's firm and has adheasive on it already.   More as I get to it....

• 1 month later...

somebody is getting rich... i could go to between 10 and 20 shows in 1982 vs what it cost me for 1 now.

... apparently you aren't THAT guy :D 

Being unemployed and getting paid the same for gigs as I did in 1982... gotta save money where I can.

The tape didn't hold.  As the night wore on, I guess the heat from the LEDs or something loosened it and the foot switches began to fail.  So... now, I am going to try something else.   I have these self adhesive backed anchors for cable ties.   I will attempt to attach them to the chassis under the circuit board, then use a cable tie to snug it down.  Found the springs and plungers but Full Compass sells the complete foot switch, stand-off, spring, and plunger as an assembly for $5.   I've e-mailed them to see if they sell the springs and plungers...

more as I know it.

somebody is getting rich... i could go to between 10 and 20 shows in 1982 vs what it cost me for 1 now.

... apparently you aren't THAT guy :D

Nope... not at all.   When you take between $400. - $600. and split it between 5 or 6 people, a sound company, and an agent... it doesn't go very far.  If you do get them up to a reasonable amount, then they cut your shows down.   Good thing I enjoy playing... I do that for free...  they pay me to haul all the crap, set it up, and tear it down.