#21 talwilkins

talwilkins

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

In that case Deandinosaur's argument is invalid.
You can't say elevenRack is half the price if you look at the second hand market (it's never used but still second hand).

Music is the best (FZ)

the Zombywoof

#22 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

How could it be invalid. It's not second hand. You have the option of buying the bundle and selling Pro tools for about 400 on Ebay. Even if you don't want to bother,  the ones that are selling without pro tools come  with registration cards so you can register as the original owner. Further more if you keep pro tools which is a pretty good DAW and compare with POD HD pro at a similar price, line 6 doesn't give you anything at all except for the Editor while pro tools is a full fledged DAW that can remember recall your presets in any project that you work on in addition to streamlined Reamping option for every guitar track you record. I already have cubase  and re-amping is also supported so I bought one for 350 brand new and i registered it as the original owner with the full warranty. 

#23 talwilkins

talwilkins

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

I understand what you're saying. Technically it a new device and because it's not registered before you can register as the Original owner. Still, it's not the price Avis sells them for. Formally it is a second hand unit (just unused and unregistered). Do you know what part of the Original price (€800) is for the Pro Tools? If you know that you also know what the unit would cost without the software.
I agree the reamping is a great featur the POD misses and there are probably more, but please try to compare things on an even base.
By the way 2 x 350 makes 700, the HD500 is 500!
Even without the question if the Eleven Rack is second hand or not, it's certainly not half the price.

Music is the best (FZ)

the Zombywoof

#24 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14814 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

pro tools by itself is 699.... which is why people buy the eleven rack because it's essentially free...

or its a 350$ rebate on your protools purchase :)

I understand what you're saying. Technically it a new device and because it's not registered before you can register as the Original owner. Still, it's not the price Avis sells them for. Formally it is a second hand unit (just unused and unregistered). Do you know what part of the Original price (€800) is for the Pro Tools? If you know that you also know what the unit would cost without the software.
I agree the reamping is a great featur the POD misses and there are probably more, but please try to compare things on an even base.
By the way 2 x 350 makes 700, the HD500 is 500!
Even without the question if the Eleven Rack is second hand or not, it's certainly not half the price.

#25 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. What I'm trying to say is that the competition is really fierce. I'm comparing with HD PRO at $699. In my opinion the HD500 is a much better contender than the HD PRO. But I guess I'm pointing the obvious that LINE 6 already knows. the only advantage that Line 6 has with the HD PRO is the dual path, but for Studio work dual path is rarely needed and  is really redundant. I'm not dumping on the HD series. I think you can get amazing tones from them, but for studio work putting money and features aside the modeling in the Eleven is simply more accurate.

What I'm really trying to say in a nut shell:  the Modeling and EQ  must be improved if line 6 wants to remain viable in the modeling for studio guitarists. Currently the only thing that can happen that would be in line 6's advantage if AVID discontinues ELEVEN Rack. 

#26 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. What I'm trying to say is that the competition is really fierce. I'm comparing with HD PRO at $699. In my opinion the HD500 is a much better contender than the HD PRO. But I guess I'm pointing the obvious that LINE 6 already knows. the only advantage that Line 6 has with the HD PRO is the dual path, but for Studio work dual path is rarely needed and  is really redundant. I'm not dumping on the HD series. I think you can get amazing tones from them, but for studio work putting money and features aside the modeling in the Eleven is simply more accurate.

What I'm really trying to say in a nut shell:  the Modeling and EQ  must be improved if line 6 wants to remain viable in the modeling for studio guitarists. Currently the only thing that can happen that would be in line 6's advantage if AVID discontinues ELEVEN Rack. 

...of course

I'M SO HAPPY!

#27 spikey

spikey

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

I like hearing about the competition here. All of it. Id also like to think it helps keep Line 6 on their toes however naive that may be.

But it also serves the purpose of showing us other options available when they refuse to do just that....

A win win for us all Im thinking.... Keep up the good work guys  ;)

#28 EOengineer

EOengineer

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

Well this stayed nicely on topic.

#29 EOengineer

EOengineer

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

Are you talking about the JCM 800 2204 or the Pleaxi Super Lead 1959? No real experience with the originals, I only observe that any audio clip I listen to seems to have MUCH more gain than a patch with the same Drive in the POD, included

Maybe you could record a clip with you real Plexi on 8 and show me how you can have the same distortion level with 80% on the POD without boosting it in some way or another...

#30 EOengineer

EOengineer

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

I'm not terribly interested in recording you a clip at that level, nor are my neighbors and their neighbors. I am familiar with the videos you posted though, and can tell you that for me the podHD plexi gets as much or more gain than is shown in that clip.

The plexi is a very sensitive and responsive circuit, and though I don't think the HD is super close accuracy wise, it's apparent gain and crunch does change dramatically between different pickups and guitars, which is true of the real deal. My strat has considerably less crunch through that model than my les Paul...like night and day.

That video is a good example of a plexi with PAF humbuckers. If you are playing a set neck humbucker equipped guitar and can't get that much drive, something else is going on.

#31 Akeron

Akeron

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:24 AM

I wasn't polemic, I really wanted to know if you\me can do it :) I use the POD with studio monitors and it seems I can't reproduce that gain without using also a compressor or other effects. I use a Gibson SG with stock pickups 490T\490R, so P.A.F like. Peace!

#32 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

Kind'a jumping into the middle of this but even my Marshall JCM900 needs a Tube Screamer or some kind of boost/compressor to give it the gain it needs too.  I've back to backed the PODHD against it just to see how close Line6 came with it's modeling.  I was very impressived.

#33 stumblinman

stumblinman

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

With the next firmware, I expect us to be able to hook our Pod HD's up to our car and read error codes.

#34 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:25 AM

Mine already does that...  It'll even clear error codes and make the Check Engine light go off.

I can also set my PODHD on the floor and it'll automatically vacuum both carpeting and hardwoods completley autonomously.

If I pour a little beer on my PODHD, get it slightly drunk, then sweet talk it a little, well I don't want to say what happens next.

#35 spaceatl

spaceatl

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 4660 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

Personally, I am hoping for an update that will allow the POD to make sandwiches...Tuna Salad and Steak & Cheese are my initial "Expectation".  :P

#36 gunpointmetal

gunpointmetal

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

as long as we can adjust the sandwich parameters in Hz and dBs, I'm all for it!

#37 johnnyayyy

johnnyayyy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

I expect my HD500 will still sound great, there will be some new features I like and some I don't care about, and no matter what is different in the new firmware there is going to be lots of complaining from people who should probably try a different product if the HD doesn't suit their needs.

I doubt the EQ labeling will be changed after all this time, don't care if it is or isn't, the EQs work just fine however the parameters are labeled.

Doubt there will be global EQ, though I believe this would be a useful addition I have already added my own outboard EQ (it cost me less than $50) so I could not care less whether this is ever added.

Reamping is already possible for those clever enough to patch a few cables.

Would love to see Model Packs with dozens of new options but the HD has been out for so long without them I do not "expect" them to ever materialize.

Have already been informed separate modes for 1/4" and XLR is not possible, I do not "expect" to see that feature on my HD500 ever.

Hmmm, maybe there will be something really cool added that no one was expecting, like when they added the deep editing parameters.

#38 EOengineer

EOengineer

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

I wasn't polemic, I really wanted to know if you\me can do it :) I use the POD with studio monitors and it seems I can't reproduce that gain without using also a compressor or other effects. I use a Gibson SG with stock pickups 490T\490R, so P.A.F like. Peace!

#39 EOengineer

EOengineer

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

Haha, gotcha. I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic, or not. Even so, my god, my plexi on 8 would level the block.

I'm surprised you are getting such little gain through the plexi model with the SG. I'm sure you've already checked the pad switch and all that. Hmm...other than throwing the tube comp in front with a transparent threshold and a couple dB gain boost, I'm out of suggestions.

#40 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

i can't wait until the update to read all the posts bitchin' about what's not there

I'M SO HAPPY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users