Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix, StageSound L2T & PA

Bommeltje

Hi there,

this is what I ideally want at a live gig with my 8 piece band:

• My guitar goes into the Helix.
  • Connect Helix with Line 6 Link cable to L2T (used as my floor monitor).
  • Connect Helix with two XLR's to FOH-PA.
  • Feed the stage-mix of the rest of the band into my L2T.
  • When I use the volume knob on the Helix, I just want to change the volume of my guitar on the L2T and let the FOH-sound (the 2 XLR-out's) to be unchanged (and let the PA-guy handle that)
  • And I want to be able to change the volume of the mix of the rest of the band on the L2T (less dependant on the stage mix guy).

I know the first 4 bullets are possible. What about bullets 5 and 6?

Thanks!

5. Instead of bending down and using the big volume knob you could assign an expression pedal to control the channel volume of the preset.

6. .... but since you're willing to bend down to adjust things, you could manually adjust the L2t speaker volume and balance it with the Helix output level to get the mix you want, independent of the stage sound guy.

For the band mix, try running the (mono) signal through a volume pedal before it hits the L2t. Jimmy Herring uses several, sometimes one for each part of the monitor mix.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/1026/10-things-you-gotta-do-to-play-like-jimmy-herring/21757

"First, he prefers to split his dry and wet signals between separate speaker cabs, and second, his ’board features six Ernie Ball VPJR volume pedals that allow him to tweak the individual levels of all the other instruments onstage in his monitor."

5. Instead of bending down and using the big volume knob you could assign an expression pedal to control the channel volume of the preset.

6. .... but since you're willing to bend down to adjust things, you could manually adjust the L2t speaker volume and balance it with the Helix output level to get the mix you want, independent of the stage sound guy.

5. So I could assign 2 function to the expression pedal, one to control my guitar volume on the monitor and the other for Wah or any other parameter. Correct?

6. I don't expect to have to do this a lot during a gig, but once or twice maybe. Depends on the amount of alcohol our drummer consumes. Might have to turn the volume of my monitor up a notch with every glass :-).

Tnx for your reply!

For the band mix, try running the (mono) signal through a volume pedal before it hits the L2t. Jimmy Herring uses several, sometimes one for each part of the monitor mix.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/1026/10-things-you-gotta-do-to-play-like-jimmy-herring/21757

"First, he prefers to split his dry and wet signals between separate speaker cabs, and second, his ’board features six Ernie Ball VPJR volume pedals that allow him to tweak the individual levels of all the other instruments onstage in his monitor."

A nice solution! I am hoping to go on stage with just the Helix and no other pedels though.  But tnx for the link

5. So I could assign 2 function to the expression pedal, one to control my guitar volume on the monitor and the other for Wah or any other parameter. Correct?

No - you would need a second expression pedal (external) if you want your onboard pedal to control wah.

Why ? 

If you dont have any other vol. pedal, it should be possible ? 

To engage the onboard toe switch you have to push the pedal all the way forward. Assuming you can live with your guitar volume through the monitor at maximum 'toe forward' setting every time you engage the wah.. 

An outstanding idea was proposed elsewhere for anyone who wants to use multiple expression pedals (I do!) with the Helix. Once you plug outboard exp into exp2 and exp3 slots, they become those pedals. The idea (I will track down the source and edit this for proper credit) is to assign your wah - and only wah - to exp 1. Use the toe switch to turn on/off the wah, and it works like a normal wah pedal! Toe switch on, wah on. Toe switch off, wah off. Though, with wah off, at that point it's no longer toggling between exp1 and exp2 as it does with no external exp connected.

Edit: wah on exp1 idea credit to PeterHamm:

http://line6.com/support/topic/17869-helix-losing-expression-pedal-settings/?do=findComment&comment=132351

"Change that patch so that the only thing EXP 1 controls is the wah. Now it behaves EXACTLY like a wah pedal. Toe switch engages and the same pedal rocks the wah."