Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

expression pedal issues

ormen67

hey guys...having a little trouble in live situations when i want the volume to go up slowly. on the hd500x, i had no issues by the time i got to the toe position it was a powerful volume with great incrementation in between...now...i start moving the toe pedal to down and the volume seems to come in strong at about 15%...which makes it harder to do some great swells....i do have the setting for non linear...but i still have that issue..please help...and thank you and the rest of the forum for all the great info...

I was messing around with this recently and found that when placed first in the chain, a volume block set to linear and a minimum of 3% works really well, better than logarithmic, which surprised me when I discovered this. The tone I'm using is somewhat higher gain, 5150, so a different amp might react worse. The 3% minimum is important because it helps to get rid of the sudden 'turning on' of the volume. If the block is placed last in the chain, I'm not sure what configuration might work best.

Well, I just tried again, and at least today, logarithmic is working and feeling much better. Hmm ... something about Tuesdays.

thank you duncann..i will try that...in my lead patches i do have the volume first in the chain...and in my delay patches i have it after the delay...again thank you

When I switched back to logarithmic, I also set the minimum to 17%, instead of 3%. Below that, for me, there is too much pedal movement where the volume doesn't increase at all, or so little that it's not perceptible. I find it really smooth, and easy to control, with those settings; logarithmic and 17% minimum. An auto-volume would make things even easier, and more accurate.

I would put the volume pedal after distortion, compression, eq and even amp (if you separate the amp and cabinet like I do), but BEFORE time-based FX (modulation can go before or after).

That might work better, too.

Also, I have 3 totally different kinds of volume pedals with my Helix. And I've found that the one that works best for me for volume (VP JR.) is the one I use for guitar volume and I use the other for parameters and such.

I remember building a simple compression stomp box from a electronics warehouse kit way back when (maybe 25 years ago) and it explained that what was happening with the waive form because of the circuit and it went something like this: the sound waive enters the input of the circuit and is boosted then the peak of the waive gets "cut off" so the result is that no matter how light or hard you play the strings the out put volume will be the same.

Here is the best image I could find to illustrate what is happening (there was something like this in the kit): 

Figure-3.jpg

the threshold wold be the "cut off" point"

so that being said PeterHamm is right.

Any signal coming into a compression peddle will be amplified and causing the same thing you are talking about. I have heard of some people saying they put there volume peddle block at the end of the chain, but I haven't tried that myself. I guess my brain can't let go of the "real world application" of a volume peddle.