Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Latency with POD HD500X

filippou2

Hello to every body!

I have a POD HD500X from november,i have a problem but i don't know if it's a problem of pod or a characteristics of them.

When I change a patch (also factory preset) i hear a 40ms of latency (for latency i mean a totally mute sound).

The attach file is a mp3 of this situation when i press the same preset more times...

What do you thing?

Thank's for the answer!

How can I minimeze this? :( I use to play pod in a loop of my head (H&K tubemeister)

I get around it by using a lot of dual-amp patches. Pairing either clean and dirty rhythm tones (with a boost assigned to a FS in the dirty amp path if I need it for leads), or a dirty rhythm and a lead tone. Then assign the channel volume of each amp to the expression pedal (ie heel down for clean, toe down for dirty), and you can transition smoothly from one sound to the other without changing patches.

• Upvote 2

mmmmm....

The problem is that my pod (via midi) also control the channel of my head (H&K tubemeister 36)...for example 

1A: Clean channel of AMP + some effects of pod

2A: Distortion of AMP + some effects of pod

etc...

And so i need to change preset every time  :wacko:

mmmmm....

The problem is that my pod (via midi) also control the channel of my head (H&K tubemeister 36)...for example

etc...

And so i need to change preset every time :wacko:

There's not a whole lot you can do then, unless you want to experiment with some of the amp models, and only use the head for power.

The only way to NOT get the "latency" is to NOT switch patches within a song but just turn on/off FX. If you need more sound variety within the song (the main reason to switch patches) then switch to FS1-8 mode. Only switch patches between songs when there's time for the mute. The mute drives me CRAZY so that's what I do, Run the HD500 in FS1-8 to get all sorts of FX within a song. Then switch patches for the next song. I'm not sure, but I think MIDI can be used to turn on/off FX in FS1-8 mode (someone will correct me if I'm wrong), so there should be no loss flexibility using MIDI.

FYI, what you're describing is not really latency but an outright mute. I.e., there's no delay in the sound.

I'm with pfsmith0 on this.  I've come to the conclusion that the design parameters for the HD500X kind of assumed one patch per song, and within that patch you might make changes to the configuration by way of footswitches.  Since I only change patches between songs that's never been a problem for me given the variety of ways you can use dual effects on a single button and toggle them back and forth or use different signal chains, but I guess it would depend on your needs in the music.

I'm with pfsmith0 on this.  I've come to the conclusion that the design parameters for the HD500X kind of assumed one patch per song, and within that patch you might make changes to the configuration by way of footswitches.  Since I only change patches between songs that's never been a problem for me given the variety of ways you can use dual effects on a single button and toggle them back and forth or use different signal chains, but I guess it would depend on your needs in the music.

Well, I don't know if the designers made that assumption or not. I personally think that in the context of a full band, no one is going to notice if there's spillover between most transitions or not. I can seen if it's certain styles of music - ones where you depended on long delay and/or reverb trails to fill the audio space, yes, that would definitely be noticeable. But in a typical rock or pop song, no one is going to notice as long as your transitions are done in time with everything else. And, actually, having no spillover can actually be desirable in many transitions. The one singer I played with for a long time always got irritated if my delay tails bled into stops.

mmmmm....

etc...

And so i need to change preset every time  :wacko:

You do not have to change presets everytime...

You can program midi commands into an FS within a patch on the POD...make the command line up with your head and you head can change channels in the patch...Basically, your head has midi learning in it, so you really are not limited to PC commands...From what I recall, you can set reverb, channel, power with one command on that head and just tell the head what command to learn to trigger a whole setup on the head...

You do not have to change presets everytime...

You can program midi commands into an FS within a patch on the POD...make the command line up with your head and you head can change channels in the patch...Basically, your head has midi learning in it, so you really are not limited to PC commands...From what I recall, you can set reverb, channel, power with one command on that head and just tell the head what command to learn to trigger a whole setup on the head...

mmm...and so with 1A preset (for example) i can configure a different midi signal for FS1 or FS2?

Mmm..sorry for my poor english but...what's spacealt's thunder??

It is a colloquialism. According to (http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/steal+thunder), to steal someone's thunder would be "To use, appropriate, or preempt the use of another's idea, especially to one's own advantage and without consent by the originator.", or "to do something that takes attention away from what someone else has done."

How can I minimeze this?  

Volume. 

Making sure that there isn't a drastic difference between the volume of a "blank" patch and your patch will help make the "drop to zero" less noticeable. 

I've also found that making patches similar in construction will help - meaning, same amp in the same position. And if same fx are used, put them in the same position. Of course, that part should just be common sense because you wouldn't really need too drastic of a change within a song. Right?

It isn't so much a question of spill over as it is mute. Your signal is just.... gone... for a short blip. You really have to adjust your arrangement so it doesn't impact anything. I can't do it. It cramps my style too much. It is so much easier for me to just use the FX switches within a given song. That gives me tons of variations.

It is a colloquialism. According to (http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/steal+thunder), to steal someone's thunder would be "To use, appropriate, or preempt the use of another's idea, especially to one's own advantage and without consent by the originator.", or "to do something that takes attention away from what someone else has done."

OKK thank's so much...

I'm trying now....but I have a nooby question:

If I set an effect control of the patch 1B in FS5 to activate tremolo (for example) the pod change into preset 1A...how can I activate the fs control (from fs5 to fs8) without change patch??

OKK thank's so much...

I'm trying now....but I have a nooby question:

If I set an effect control of the patch 1B in FS5 to activate tremolo (for example) the pod change into preset 1A...how can I activate the fs control (from fs5 to fs8) without change patch??

You are in "Preset Mode". Only FS1 thru FS4 are available to turn effects on or off or assign MIDI CCs. To assign FS5 thru FS8 you need to be in "Pedalboard Mode".

To access the System Setup options, press and hold the VIEW button. Here you can configure several device functions, Input & Output settings and more.The first page gives you the option for the Footswitch Mode (Knob 1): Configures the function of POD HD500X footswitches FS5 through FS8 for either “Pedalboard Mode†or “Preset Modeâ€. This setting is global. The manual is your friend.

http://line6.com/support/manuals/

Ok guys thank's a lot, it's a good solutions..

But i'm not able to do this things:

I have a digital delay always on and an analog delay off..when i'll press fs4 i'd like to turn on Analog delay and tun off the digital delay...can it be possible?because i'm not succeeding :(

Just assign both the analog and digital delays to the fs4 and default the digital delay to being on and the analog delay to off.  Then when you hit the fs4 it will toggle between the two.  It's a bit decieving because the light on the fs4 switch will be unlit when the analog delay is on, and it will be lit when the digital delay is on.

Yes. I would say the dual stereo path capability is proof of that.

Ok guys..the midi section is functionally!

But in FS5-8 there's a "contradictory" situation..

for example:

If i have to pass from a sound with flanger and delay to a sound without these effects but with tremolo: i have to press two button to turn off flanger and delay and one to turn on tremolo...but i have bought a multieffect pedalboard to avoid to do "tip tap" with single pedal...

How is it possible that in FS5-8 I can't automatically turn off some effect and turn on one effect with only one press of buttons!?!?

The solution is ABCD mode, but to change preset there's the 40 ms of silence between the presets....

Ok guys..the midi section is functionally!

But in FS5-8 there's a "contradictory" situation..

for example:

If i have to pass from a sound with flanger and delay to a sound without these effects but with tremolo: i have to press two button to turn off flanger and delay and one to turn on tremolo...but i have bought a multieffect pedalboard to avoid to do "tip tap" with single pedal...

How is it possible that in FS5-8 I can't automatically turn off some effect and turn on one effect with only one press of buttons!?!?

The solution is ABCD mode, but to change preset there's the 40 ms of silence between the presets....

You can assign multiple FX to one footswitch within the same patch. When you save the patch, have effect A turned off, and effect B turned on. That way, when you hit the switch to which you've assigned them, it will toggle one effect on and the other off simultaneously. You can do exactly what you described above, with the 3 FX you mentioned, with one tap.

Mmm..try to supposed this (true situation):

When i'll press FS1 The pod send a midi input to my ampli (to have crunch channel) and FS1 turn on a digital delay..

When i'll press FS2 pod send a midi input to my ampli to have clean channel and The turning on off a modulation delay..

If I want to pass from FS1 to FS2 i have to turn off The delay of The FS1 and so i have to press more on one bottom ....or there's a faster solution?

• 7 years later...

If you want to take the "one patch per song" approach, does it follow that having a high gain amp in both channels A and B is out of the question?

Say I had a Treadplate in one and an Angel Fireball in the other, would it possible to get to a clean tone without changing patches?

On 12/15/2023 at 3:51 AM, BaylorPRSer said:

Say I had a Treadplate in one and an Angel Fireball in the other, would it possible to get to a clean tone without changing patches?

I don't know if you noticed that this thread is 7 years old..

Anyway to answer your question You can't get a clean sound from a single patch containing 2 hi gain amps.

With the POD the only solution to obtain both the hi gain and clean sounds while remaining in the same patch (to avoid latency problems when changing the sound) is by assigning 1 hi gain amp to one channel and 1 clean amp to the other.

Some more modern modelers have fewer limitations.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 2:22 AM, hurghanico said:

I don't know if you noticed that this thread is 7 years old..

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Hey man.  Thanks for the help as usual.  Sorry it took me so long to reply.  Had too much going on over the holidays.

I was actually under the impression that it's better forum etiquette to search to see if an issue has already been covered, and ask your question there.

Is there a point where a thread is just TOO old? 

Let me know.  I appreciate the forum, so I'd like to comply with whatever best practices are.

On 1/9/2024 at 11:30 AM, BaylorPRSer said:

Hey man.  Thanks for the help as usual.  Sorry it took me so long to reply.  Had too much going on over the holidays.

I was actually under the impression that it's better forum etiquette to search to see if an issue has already been covered, and ask your question there.

Let me know.  I appreciate the forum, so I'd like to comply with whatever best practices are.

You're welcome..

There is certainly no deadline for any thread... it's just that the older it is, the less likely it is that any of the previous posters will notice your new post and/or possibly respond..

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

On 1/9/2024 at 5:30 AM, BaylorPRSer said:

It will vary with the site, the post, and what you have to say to the post. 

Example: Post your white guitars.

No limit. 

Example: I upgraded to Windows 10 and can't get it to work. 

Limit - because Windows 10 has been patched since the post. And L6 has patched their stuff since the original W10 that didn't let things work. 

Also, because this is a device specific section, most respondents from old posts have moved on to the next product. You will get almost nowhere if trying to engage someone from an old post, especially someone who has 1 post, because they didn't come here to participate. They just wanted their issue fixed.