snhirsch

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA
  • Registered Products:3

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

<sigh...>  Please actually read the message thread before you dive in?  I was corrected almost immediately and fell on my sword over the statement. 

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990)

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Fender / Roland GC-1 Guitar

Boss GP-10 13-pin Processor

Antares ATG-1 Autotune Pedal

Fender Mustang III.v2 Modeling Amp

#42 Omix

Omix

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

I'm a lefty and regardless of the market I believe anyone who makes the comment that guitar vendors only only concern in targeting their core market is incorrect. I firmly believe that as a maker of guitars you obviously did it to share the love and passion of music. Why hasn't there been a left handed version? Not sure, but I certainly would not say it's a marketing strategy. I have no problem finding a left handed Taylor, Martin or Guild and those are high end brand names. 

Anyone who suggests purchasing a new guitar to bring it to the shop to have it modified certainly isn't putting themselves in our shoes. Who in their right mind want's to purchase a guitar ($1300) just to have it modified for play. NOONE!

So whether the minority or the majority music and instruments are for anyone and therefore suggesting otherwise is childish. Line 6 should almost certainly consider a left handed 69 model. It's not as if they would have to have a high number of production on them there is a financially reasonable approach to building them. Or, possibly by special order only. 

Either way, I would say to any righty, if it's not that big of a deal to go drop a G note on a guitar just to have it modified for play. Then go by a lefty next time and let me know what you think.

Peace

#43 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 17780 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA
  • Registered Products:17

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

there should certainly be some left handed models...

but this argument makes no sense...

high end is high margin....

in a lower margin/mass market product...

you make your money by selling more....

no matter what hand you play with... you have to concede there are many more right handed players... and therefore more opportunity to sell more...

all that as a given, perhaps they should have at least made a USA left handed model by now...

not as easy as simply cutting a mirror image of the guitar and stringing it backwards....

the electronics board may need to be completely redesigned to put the controls etc in the right place...

the internal cavities changed or whatever...

by all means keep pushing and asking and promoting the idea...

just saying... if it was simple... it would already have been done.

I have no problem finding a left handed Taylor, Martin or Guild and those are high end brand names. 

#44 TwelveFootNinja

TwelveFootNinja

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:24 PM

Left handed, high end Variax equipped guitars will be available in 2015.

Stay posted here for all updates until the website is up and running.

https://www.facebook...shurikenguitars

Spread the word! 

-Stevic

(Pictured is the working prototype I just toured the U.S with)

10488039_878292382202110_172332511312299

#45 alanxm

alanxm

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:00 PM

Just a bit curious...don't see a lefty one so far.

2015 has about 2 months left...

#46 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4962 posts
  • Registered Products:4

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:07 PM

Zombie thread...

#47 chainsawdave

chainsawdave

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

I voted:)

#48 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4962 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

Zombie thread. Again.

Ask for a unicorn...the odds are better. ;)

#49 Rob_Andrews

Rob_Andrews

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:17 PM

You are aware that Hendrix played a right-handed Strat flipped over, aren't you?

Sorry; I'm new to this Forum.

Being a lefty I learned loads of stuff on right handed guitars before being able to play a lefty model. Some of Alex Lifeson's chords are easier upside down!

Once you get the idea that it's all about patterns and all you have to do is flip that pattern over you'll appreciate that Jimi Hendrix would have had no trouble playing a guitar strung the wrong way round. Advanced chord work and fingerstyle playing would be very tricky but power chords and lead lines would be achievable.

#50 Rocco_Crocco

Rocco_Crocco

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Registered Products:3

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:28 AM

If I had a lefty kid who played guitar, I'd want him to learn righty. Too few choices for left handed guitars.

#51 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4962 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

If I had a lefty kid who played guitar, I'd want him to learn righty. Too few choices for left handed guitars.

I actively discourage students who want to play lefty... at the beginning, when you have no skills, and haven't the faintest idea what you're doing anyway, why start with a handicap? Just learn to play righty. Being left handed or right handed really doesn't matter. My mother has been a classical guitarist for 60-ish years...she's left handed, but has played righty since day one.

Of course if you really want to spend the rest of your life being irritated because you can never find a guitar you want... by all means, learn to play lefty. ;)

#52 Rob_Andrews

Rob_Andrews

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

You will probably know that Robert Fripp is left handed, but taught himself to play right handed for the reasons you mention, and also to apply his skilful hand to the fretboard.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: left, lefty, left handed, james tyler, variax