Photo

Unwanted Volume Boost When Running Modulation Effects; Fixed Yet?

modulation chorus boost bug

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gregr

gregr

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'm wondering if this was ever addressed and fixed, or have the powers that be incorrectly relegated it as user error?

For those who aren't familiar, if you run a modulation effect such as a chorus you get a appreciable boost in volume.  If the effect is placed and an amp's loop or it is post distortion then it's like getting a solo boost.

FWIW, this problem also exists in the HD500.

#2 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5290 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Well it hasn't been addressed. It seems to be more noticeable in some setups more than others. This is actually not an uncommon complaint when using modulation effects from all sorts of manufacturers. I think it's related to the fact that with many modulation effects, there's actually a perceived loss in volume normally. I think programmers build a boost in to combat this. It's not as noticeable when you use effect in front of a clean amp. It can be more noticeable in a loop. It would be nice if there were actually a boost/cut parameter included with the modulation effects. This is what Strymon does with the Mobius, for instance.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#3 gregr

gregr

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

I understand the reason for the (over)compensation; however, for models with a mix parameter, setting it to 0% dry and toggling the effect on and off should not affect the output level.

The reason why I look at it this way is that I wish to adjust this parameter via expression pedal, but also be able to switch to a different effect in the column.

A boost/cut parameter would be great, though I imagine it will have to be a global control in the M-series rater than a additional page of tweaks (if necessary) on a per-model basis in the HD line.

#4 antonioctd

antonioctd

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:56 AM

I actually like that boost... 

I use a m9 in the loop just for delays, verbs and modulations. All my gain stuff is analog (pedals and amp channels).

The boost is a lot more noticeable with over-driven sounds than with clean sounds. This is strange because being in the loop should mean that any gain on the preamp should be treated equally by the m9.

Anyway, I don't like to use modulation with over-driven tones. I just does not sound good to my ears. Unless I'm going for a drastic efect for just a bar or two for just that song... In that case the boost does a very good job making sure it will be heard! ;)

On clean tones I actually think the volume compensation is almost spot on. I have no complains!

That said, I do have a real MXR Script phase 90 on the board, before the pre-amp, for the van halen type moments  :ph34r:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modulation chorus boost bug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users