Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 and Firehawk

at93850

So I may have goofed here.  When I bought the firehawk, I thought it worked with the digital interface to the DT25, but it turns out it doesn't, just has an output jack that is identical.  My question is, is there any way to get the DT25 to turn off all it's knobs and just use the firehawk input as is?  Right now what's happening is over the headphones the firehawk sounds great, hook it up to the amp it sounds a lot worse because the original model is being warped by whatever the knobs are set to.  I can change the knobs but it would seem like there should be a way to just turn it off entirely.  Any way to do that?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

the tone may not be the most favorable due to sending an amp model into the input of another amp model which is why it may sound like 'too much'. 

There's two ways I would recommend. 

When using Firehawk with a traditional amp, its always recommended to turn the outputs to amp mode, located on the back panel.

First: If you want to use the amp's in the DT25, I would use 'no amp' in Firehawk and use FH essentially as my pedal board. 

Second: IF you want to use everything in Firehawk and have the DT25 just as your power amp, I would recommend running into the FX loop. An FX loop bypasses the preamp section and is sent directly to the power amp. Getting no tone/gain from the pre amp. 

Keep in mind that using Class A Class A/B with certain amps may have different feels than traditionally. For example, a Vox is a Class A, a Marshall is Class A/B. 

So I may have goofed here.  When I bought the firehawk, I thought it worked with the digital interface to the DT25, but it turns out it doesn't, just has an output jack that is identical.  My question is, is there any way to get the DT25 to turn off all it's knobs and just use the firehawk input as is?  Right now what's happening is over the headphones the firehawk sounds great, hook it up to the amp it sounds a lot worse because the original model is being warped by whatever the knobs are set to.  I can change the knobs but it would seem like there should be a way to just turn it off entirely.  Any way to do that?

Since the Firehawk FX has no L6 link or midi capabilities, your best bet is to just run into the FX Return of the DT25.  There really is no other good option for you with this setup.  Take the left mono 1/4 output into the DT25 FX Return and you are good to go.  The DT is a mono amp only so remember that when building your patches.  Big swirly stereo effects won't be the same when cut back to mono.  However, you should still be able to get a great tone with this combination.

You will be able to control the class A/AB and Pentode/Triode with the switches on the DT but not the topology directly.  You could use DT Edit with midi to preconfigure 4 voicings to represent the 4 topologies if you wanted but probably not worth the effort.

By the way, those "identical" output jacks are XLR balanced audio not digital at all...