Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD PRO ans headphones

rickysoul77

Hi,

I have a POD HD Pro and play mostly with headphones, my main problem is dispite I have Good headphones, any patches i use or sound from the POD never look like the ones i see from videos and so.

I don't know what to do to improve that. - do i have to use any other rack (preamp, would it work with headphones both together? )

- i first thought it was my guitar LAG 7th string Stéphan Forté signature thé korean version, because of the humbunckers but it sound well anyway.

Sorry for my english :)

Regards

Are you using the same headphones when you listen to the videos? Are you downloading and using exactly the same patches that were used in the video?

There are a lot of factors that go into recording and producing a video that are not present when you are just using your Pod directly, especially the patch itself if you are not using the exact one used in the video. Any and all of these differences affect the sound and can account for a significant difference in what you hear.

EDIT: Also I notice that these headphones are wireless. I don't have any experience with this so can't really speak to their quality vs. wired headphones when used with a POD device. I also note that they are designed for use with home audio systems so may not be similar to FRFR studio phones, which are best for the PODs.

• Upvote 1

I think silverhead hit the nail on the head.  Those headphones are made for home audio systems which is very different from studio headsets.  Studio headsets are generally tend to be more flat response than home audio systems and would be more likely to give you a better representation of the patch you're using on the pod as it would be heard in a live environment.

Yes i use exactly the same headphones when listening to video and the quality is very good,

I first thought it was my guitar,

I guess i have to use the patch and change the equalizer,

I'm missing some bass and the sound isn't clear

When u use your headphones the sound is like the patch in video for you or do you change something ?

(Thank you for ur time)

When u use your headphones the sound is like the patch in video for you or do you change something ?

I never expect the sound in a video to be anything like what I hear from my device, unless all of these things are true:

- the sound in the video must be recorded direct to a quality recording system with the POD Output in Studio/Direct mode (no additional amp/mic in the recording process). The sound must NOT have been recorded with the built-in mic of a video camera or mobile device.

- there is absolutely no external or post-processing done to the recorded sound in the production of the video. It must be all and only the POD.

- the exact patch used in the video is posted for download

- I load that patch into my device which is set for Studio Direct output mode and I listen through FRFR studio headphones or PA speakers

- I use exactly the same guitar (not just the same type - I mean the same guitar!) as the one used in the recording. This, of course is virtually impossible unless the video was recorded with a specific Variax setting and I have the same Variax type guitar with the same firmware and settings.

If any of the above is not true you will definitely not get the same sound, and even if they're all true the headphones/speakers that you use will make a difference.

Having said all that, your POD should still sound good through high-quality FRFR/studio headphones. And you say it does sound good even though your phones are not FRFR/studio. So I wouldn't worry about matching a tone in a video. Just get familiar with building your own presets to get tones that sound good to YOU!

Personally I think the most helpful thing you could do is get studio headphones. There are several threads in this forum that discuss the options.

• Upvote 1

I guess there is no wireless studio headphones available cause there is none ? Low priced headphone and wireless headphone Impedance is always very low correct me if i am wrong ? Last thing what i need is another Fxxxxxx cable in my feets when i am playing or recording ;) I would love to buy proper wireless studio headphones and i will take suggestions if someone knows good pair of wireless cans ? I think someone from line6 said that they will recommend Sennheiser 600HD series cause the impedance is very high but those are also wired ones. :rolleyes:

Studio monitor headphones tend not to be wireless, with all that electrical equipment about interference could be a big issue plus performance can decrease alongside the battery level so you'd be constantly second guessing if you were really hearing an accurate reproduction in sound

You could always get a decent quality extension cable and run it well out of the way behind you